Homeland

Sphinx

I'm surprised that there isn't a thread about this already. Perhaps I've missed it.When I heard the rave reviews about Homeland and saw the adverts, I wondered whether I'd be able to get my teeth into it. The Wire got great reviews and my mates told me I needed to watch it but I couldn't get into it. I had to watch it with subtitles lest I missed anything, and had to really concentrate as the dialogue was quite heavy. I weren't very familiar with some of the legal terms and it started off slow. It had its moments, and I persevered until the end of season 1, but I didn't have much desire to watch the second series.I got into Homeland straight off the bat though. On Thursday I saw the final episode and even though I felt like I knew that he wasn't going to blow himself up, and in the back of my mind I was thinking that the microSD card would come back to haunt him, I was still on edge. I think it was the sound of his breathing that did it, and I thought the part where Dana was telling him she needed him over the phone was really well done. Claire Danes and Morgan Saylor (Dana) are really good actors in it. Can't wait to see the next series.

Since I saw his wife in the execrable remake of V, every time I see her in this I think she looks like an alien. I'm hoping that storyline kicks off in Season 2.

In all seriousness though, a brilliant series let down only IMO by a slightly damp squib of an ending. When he DIDN'T blow himself up, with 20 minutes to go of the episode, it all seemed to go off the boil. I understand they wanted to keep him as a character, but honestly it would have been much better if he'd pulled the trigger.

His wife is absolutely mint, but it annoys me how she calls her husband 'Brody' like everybody else. Also, his best mate who was cuckolding him really reminds me of John Cena.

I wondered whether that was intentional, though I'm not sure what the intention would be as they're playing happy families at the moment. For some reason, Brody calling Jess by her first name rather than an affectionate name seemed odd to me last episode. Does he always do that? It stuck out to me last episode. It's more puzzling why I find it odd as I call my other half by her first name rather than an affectionate name.

In all seriousness though, a brilliant series let down only IMO by a slightly damp squib of an ending. When he DIDN'T blow himself up, with 20 minutes to go of the episode, it all seemed to go off the boil. I understand they wanted to keep him as a character, but honestly it would have been much better if he'd pulled the trigger.

It would have been unexpected, but I don't know if it would have been the right move. I think they did about as well as they could without killing him. It's difficult to see where they'd go with the story if they killed Brody off. I suspect the one who was shagging his wife will have more to him. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the camcorder footage from the start of the episode is leaked in the next season (if it is). Don't really know what to make of the end with Carrie.

Thing is, if Brody had died season 2 could be:- Carrie is vindicated and is flavour of the month at the CIA. However, she's completely fucking nuts which drives Saul up the wall, as they both search for the mole.- In the aftermath of the death of the vice-president, Homeland security is stepped up. We can see Brody's family falling under suspicion, as well as his old comrades. Some more Al Qaida sleepers can be introduced, and they have to be tracked down using clues from Brody's camcorder video/general history.The way they've left it, I can see Season 2 being more about Brody's political ascendancy rather than suicide bombs in Washington. Which is a lot less interesting than a full-on terrorist campaign being waged across the US.

Archived