3 things you currently love in wrestling and 3 things you hate

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

I've opened up threads like this focusing on the positive before, quite a while back but, for everything good going on in wrestling, there's inevitably something awful happening at the same time to balance things out. As we have topics of a similar nature in Off-Topic, we should have one for OnTopic too i reckon.So what 3 things currently going on in the wacky world of wrestling do you both adore and despise?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like1. Brock Lesnar - He feels so fresh, I've always been a big fan of the guy and to have him back feels like something we could have easily not see again.2. Johnny Ace - It's about time we had a power authority like Ace. He plays the part and is a highlight of any show. Very interested to see where his edgier side goes to3. Austin Aries - Brilliant in every way. If it wasn't for the hierarchy in TNA we would see him as a main eventerHate1. Social networking - twitter, Facebook, YouTube - the WWE universe? Fuck off2. The "John Cena" character - Before I start John Cena has delivered in the Lesnar and Rock matches I will agree with that. But the character itself is just so bloody repetitive and tedious to watch that I have to skip him the majority of weeks. I like what he's done being loyal to the WWE, make a wish foundation stuff and a hard worker though3. Garrett Bischoff - what a fucking cunt

• Paid Members

Like:Cena - Personally, I love his matches, and his character.Lesnar - Like Twinn said, he's fresh, fresh, exciting. He's so exciting to me.Johnny Ace - Who'd have known it? I'd have defended his in-ring work to the death, but he turned anti-charisma into an artform.Dislike:Kane - Blah Blah hellfire and bastard boring shite blah blah. So bored of Kane - he's so shopworn. Needs a complete retooling - I suggest dentist.Big Show - See how bored I am of Kane, then remember that at least we can no longer see his gormless fucking mush. I'm so tired of the Big Show that I've practically become Pavlovian - he appears, and like the ringing of a bell, I start to seriously need a shit.Teddy Long - At least Kane and Show were once people I was interested in the antics of. I haven't cared about Teddy Long since Doom split up. I seriously think the only thing that could save him right now is if he pulled out the rolodex, dialled it around to Jim Powers, and then got the whole 1996 Jabroni Army out of mothballs. Even Joey Maggs.

Love:1- john cenasomething I never thought I'd say. But the last year of him has been the most interesting tv in the wwe in years. He even got me wanting him to beat the rock. Although the rock being shit may have contributed.2-austin aeriesas above, great in everything he does. I'm liking the slow build main event push I see coming. 3-bobby roodes entrance musicGreat heel music that works perfect for him. Best music about at the min. Hate:1-Alberto Del Riojust bloody boring and should be no where near the main event.2-The lack of Regal matchesI want to see him in matches. I like the authority figure, but that hardly counts on NXT.3-The Bellas gone from my tvActually really enjoyed them and I wanna see the little wiggle dance every week.

• Paid Members

Likes:-1) John Cena - He can almost do no wrong at the moment. The work that the WWE have done with him the last 12 months, especially in constantly teasing heel turns, has been amazing. But a lesser character would have really struggled to carry it off so consummately. He consistently has outstanding matches, even when the feud (see Kane) is so poorly thought out. His promos have been more consistently focused. Plus, there are few guys around at the moment that can so convincingly be self-deprecating and goofy one moment, and genuinely serious and hard the next. He really is Superman, you know.2) Alberto Del Rio - Delighted to have him back. I know he's weak on the stick but the character is a strong and believable one and he is almost the most convincing in-ring performer in WWE right now, plus he almost never has a bad or uninteresting match.3) Big Show / Cody Rhodes - It's the kind of mid-card feud that gets stuck together but has some moments of gold that you don't really appreciate at the time but look back on in the future and realise how good it was. The Wrestlemania build-up was a blinder, and although the match there wasn't all that great, their match at Extreme Rules and finish to it was superb. I hope they just keep it going a bit longer as I'm sure they can wring something else out of it.Dislikes:-1) Chris Jericho - What exactly happened here? Did WWE pull out of the big plans they seemingly had for him after the vignettes and the mute appearances or was this supposed to be it? Either way, he's both been painted as total shit and been total shit. I suspect it largely isn't his fault, but he's still the crappest thing in WWE at the moment.2) Brodus Clay - Boring. Do something proper with him now or bin him, you can't have him doing the same fucking thing any more, he's been doing it long enough.3) Lord Tensai - Not really happening, is it? How can someone look so out of shape and ring rusty after the regular wrestling schedule he's been on the last few years? He's also taking Mark Henry's spot. Cunt.

• Paid Members

3) Lord Tensai - Not really happening, is it? How can someone look so out of shape and ring rusty after the regular wrestling schedule he's been on the last few years? He's also taking Mark Henry's spot. Cunt.

I think Japan has some sort of crazy beer goggles effect on big hoss US wrestlers, mainly ones who didn't really impress before they went out there, and then seemed to be awesome. Albert, Bull Buchanan, Tomko, Rick Fuller - they all seem to have come on leaps and bounds out in the Orient, but when they come back they're indy level at best, and fat.

Love1. John Cena. Apart from the shite with Kane, he's been ace this year. Completely outclassed the "best ever" on the mic in the run up to WrestleMania, and from there went on to feud with Lesnar and put on an instant classic.2. Daniel Bryan. Wonderful at playing his role. Even his smirking all the time works now.3. Aksana/Teddy/Cesaro. I fucking hate Teddy Long, and I'm going to cry when he eventually gets his redemption and revenge here, but at the moment I'm really enjoying them cucking him. The bit when they kissed in the ring and he looked like he was going to cry got me at full mast.Hate1. Tensai. He's absolutely useless. All you yellow-fever twats who pretended he was good now just because he's been on a plane to Japan should be ashamed of yourselves, and the onry way to legain youl honoul is to spend all your Internet time wanking over hentai and ordering soiled knickers instead of talking about wrestling. And those of you who said he was good in his first WWE run should commit suicide.2. AJ. I just can't stand her. Annoying, false little cunt.3. Naomi. Another one I took against during NXT season three, and I can't get past my dislike of her. I feel bad, because whereas my hatred of AJ is completely justified, this one's probably just down to vile racism. Well, that and the vile trousers she always used to wear. Fuck her off. If they're determined that Brodus needs two black girls as sidekicks, replace her with Alicia Fox's Sister/Female Shelton Benjamin.

• Paid Members

What I does love :

(1) Legends/returnees contributions

I love the fact that Rock came back for a couple of matches and a few memorable segments and speaks of wanting to be champion again one day, I love that we have Brock back for a bit and I love the occasional HHH match and yearly Undertaker contribution, and the odd appearance from Shawn Michaels once in a while. It really does detract from the amount of stuff I don't care about that's going on, and makes me feel a bit of a buzz about the product, that you never know over the next few months or years what we will get out of all these men who still have something left to give, in varying degrees. What dream matches we might still see, or who else might come back for another day in the sun.. it all keeps me interested when a lot of times, it's a struggle.

(2) Punk's had a decent run

Forget whatever you feel about Punk i.e. personal taste/whether you think he's that good or not. This is simply about WWEs willingness to consistently present a guy as champion, especially when you consider the brevity of his previous reigns and in general of WWE title reigns between last year's Extreme Rules and Survivors. YES, for a second consecutive year the "business end" of the WWE calendar has focused more on John Cena and The Rock than the man with Raw's top title, but lets not forget Punk took the title in convincing manner by submission at Survivors, had a very enjoyable match with then-rising star Dolph Ziggler at the Rumble, survived an Elimination Chamber title intact, then convincingly won against Jericho at 'Mania, again by submission, now about to wrestle another relatively new star and hopefully help his progression to perhaps main event maystay. They have let Punk run with the ball and continue to do so.

(3) Daniel Bryan's character

I don't give a shit that they havent truly been faithful to the background of the former American Dragon and allowed him to consistently produce serious, long, hard-hitting submission oriented matches. In the setting he currently finds himself in, its more important to connect with the audience in order to have matches that take place in front of an exciteable atmosphere. That's the difference between John Cena and Kenny Kickpads, even if Kenny applies a tighter half crab. Bryan's current incarnation is a hoot, and he could even borrow from his former persona and start telling the referee he has 'til 5, as pointed out I believe by someone else on here. It would be funny as fuck. Bryan has lasted more than twice as long as I thought he would when he left ROH, and is at least five times more over than I thought he would get, which renders me ooohhhh must be ten times more pleased with his WWE run than I forecast I would be.

HONOURABLE MENTION : New Japan going all the way with Okada.

What I does hate :

(1) TNA's lack of ability to make me care

I cant put my finger on it, but in between the 2011 and 2012 live tours (which I always attend because they are fun house shows) TNA barely managed to make me interested enough to watch anything they aired. I don't know why. Could be that there is a feeling of "seen it all before" from the guys they have that I do really rate, could be that there are too many talents that I think are rubbish, could be that the amount of nonsense on the show puts me off waiting for the better bits, I dont know. It's sad, but I just can't motivate myself to watch.

(2) WWE's obsession with anything not-wrestling

Fuck off about making rubbish movies then telling me about it, fuck off going on and on about Twitter, and I nearly nodded off during the entrances for 'Mania waiting for the two main eventers to actually show up. The further WWE gets away from just putting on wrestling matches mixed with interviews/angles/segments designed to promote forthcoming wrestling matches, the less I find myself caring. The act of trying to turn their wrestlers into movie stars is baffling, and so misguided if they think that people that go and see the films will become more interested in watching the wrestling shows, when actually its only WWE fans that will bother going to see the films - they're the only ones who care. Back in the Attitude Era it was excellent to see wrestlers on TV Guide or appearing as guest stars in genuine prime time hit shows in the States - THAT made wrestling seem cool and promoted interest in the talent. What's happening nowadays is backwards. I needn't say too much about all the Twitter bollocks, others have done a much more eloquent job than I ever could. #fuckoff

(3) General apathy

I'm so disinterested in wrestling at the moment that I'm watching less and less other than Raw and the PPVs - I dont bother with TNA and really have lost interest in ROH over the last year, and the only Puro Im watching is the big matches from New Japan. Im so not bothered, I couldnt even think of a third thing that I'm passionate enough to "hate." Most of it's gone a bit "meh."

• Paid Members

LOVE:

1. Dean Ambrose - This lad is something special for me. His eyes are all over the place, he walks with a swagger that you shouldn't have when you are in developmental (most look like they don't fancy rocking the boat), his promos are tremendous and he can go in the ring. He's also got the image of a man who has no image. Which in itself is an image. The fact they keep holding his debut off to get it right with him is a positive sign for him. He's got friends in high places it looks like. He's wrestled name talent, including the WWE Champion, CM Punk and Triple H's pal William Regal. Not everyone gets to wrestle names when they are in developmental. I think he's going to be a big deal in the next year. I hope so. Tommy Dreamer said in his interview that the WWE top brass see him as a 2012 version of Roddy Piper. So that cant be to shabby.

2. Austin Aries - I love watching him. He's one of the finest wrestlers on the planet. Fast as fuck, graceful, looks and acts like a pure star. Unfortunate that he is very small, meaning he'll never quite become a regular in the top tier in TNA and will never be hired by WWE. Aries is like Storm, Roode and Styles. He's in the comfort zone in TNA. I can't see them ever ending up in WWE.

3. Magnus - One half of the best team in the business. He's managed to pull the salad cream on toast out of Samoa Joe's gob long enough for them to be a cracking team. Magnus looks and acts as if he's the Rock or something. Once his TNA contract is up, I think he's the most likely to end up in WWE. He has everything they would want. He's young, charismatic, can cut a promo and can wrestle at a really good level for someone who they would stick in developmental. Could be a big deal in the future.

Also, because he said this to Radders: "My email account was hacked you stupid fucker. I'm embarrassed I even have your email in my address book, you are such a worthless cunt. Don't ever contact me again you pathetic loser."

HATE:

1. Chris Jericho - Seen it all before, but this times he's even worse. Lost 4 PPV's on the trot now, and is probably fucking off back to pretend to be Sebastian Bach again. Could do without seeing him ever again, to be honest.

2. Garrett Bischoff - Isn't half as good looking as his Dad, and seems to have got his Granddad's charisma. I assume his Granddad is a boring twat, because both Eric and his wife seem to love a good laugh, as the Gold Club scandal proved. Dont have an example of a boring family member to go with this analogy, so his Granddad with have to do. He's got a good look, and he probably could be decent, but he's so inexperienced and in a position on the card that he can never live up to. Its unfair both to him and his fellow wrestlers, because he doesn't deserve to be there and he isn't capable of carrying the ball at this early stage in his career. If he could cut a promo like his Dad, he'd been brilliant no matter how little talent he has. But his Dad outshines him in every segment they are in together.

3. Brodus Clay - The moments gone for me. He's now shit.

Love

1) Daniel Bryan - He is the best thing in WWE at the moment, and I love that the "YES" chant has caught on. I can't recall seeing a bad match of his in WWE, even dating back to that brilliant match with Batista on Raw. An excellent talent who is in a really good position at the moment.

2) John Cena - This is the most I've ever enjoyed him, probably because he hasn't been doing the same thing over and over like he would have a few years ago. That promo against The Rock is the best of the year so far and we'll have to see something special for it to be topped.

3) WWE's choice of music - They've chosen some stormers lately, especially for Wrestlemania. There have been quite a few songs that I would never have listened to or even noticed before hearing them as backing music to Rock vs. Cena, especially that "Tonight, we are young" song.

There's so much more I could add to this. WWE is awesome at the moment.

Hate

1) TNA - I just really can't get into it at the moment, haven't been able to for quite a few months. The last shows I watched that I actually enjoyed were the Wembley shows, so many it's an indication that the Impact Zone is putting me off. It's a shame really because I enjoy the majority of their roster, especially Roode, Storm and Aries, but now that RVD, Anderson and Jeff Hardy are back in the main events I'm sure this hatred will stick for the time being.

2) The majority of WWE's mid-card - This one is a massive shame because I do like the majority of them, but there's just absolutely nothing going on with them. What was the last feud Kofi Kingston had? I genuinely can't remember, but I think it may have been Orton. I think people like him deserve a bit more to do, and lets not get started on Ziggler.

3) Vickie Guerrero - fuck off.

Love:1. Brock Lesnar. Having the guy has brought a renewed interest in the WWE for me. 2. Tyson Kidd. The guy deserves so much more than he's getting right now. Every match he's had as of late has been great. 3. Recent PPV quality. The last few months of PPV's have been great hopefully it'll continue throughout the rest of 2012.Hate:1. Alberto Del Rio. Cannot stand this guy at all.2. Lord Tensai. Same as Del Rio. He's getting no crowd reaction just pointless.3. Zack Ryder. I'm glad his push has completely halted, the crazy reaction the IWC gave him I felt was merely a bandwagon. Seems that way as most of the hype has completely died down now.

I'm loving

The influx of developmental talent is very exciting. When was the last time so many guys were called up or about to be called up? That's not to mention the fact that the wrestlers seem to have tremendous talent and charisma. The aforementioned Darren Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Damien Sandow, Antonio Cesaro et al are destined for big things.

The Championships have a wee bit more prestige than they did a few years ago as they are not being traded every week. Small acorns and that!

The PPV's WWE have been on a roll in respect to their monthly PPV's. Every show you are gauranteed excellent matches. Even a mediocre show will still be entertaining. I think we're a little spoiled in that respect and they don't get the credit they deserve for them. Thinking back to the bad old days of the single brand PPV's give me the shivers.

I hate

The general look of Raw. Far too fucking bright! Too many shitty strobe lights in the crowd makes every arena their in look the fucking same. Ditto the backstage area lighting. I wish they would give it more of an edge in that respect.

The Great Khali. Just get to fuck you dancing dick.

Good Cliffhangers Rememeber those? How fucking good were they? The Attitude Era was full of them, always kept you wanting more. I'm sure I read that Vince Russo was a massive fan of using them and as such booked quite a lot of them for WWF whilst he was there.

Love3. Aksana/Teddy/Cesaro. I fucking hate Teddy Long, and I'm going to cry when he eventually gets his redemption and revenge here, but at the moment I'm really enjoying them cucking him. The bit when they kissed in the ring and he looked like he was going to cry got me at full mast.

Couldn't agree more here. I'm a massive Double C fan from his work in ROH aswell and to see him given a decent spot on the roster with an actual storyline is an early Christmas present. Long has been stinking about for far too long and its brilliant to see him getting belittled by Ace and Cesaro. Cesaro really looks the bollocks and Ace's interaction with him has helped him seem like a deal. I marked out like a right prick when he have the upper cut a few weeks ago to Tyson Kidd.I wish creative would put McIntyre and Cesaro together as a tag team with a vendetta against Teddy Long. It'd be brilliant

LikeDaniel Bryan and AJ - good matches on tv again, a good wrestler being champion, YES chants, the slow build to AJ's breaking the rules to help him get a belt back and win his love back, the general snideness of his act, loving it all Brock Lesnar - like an angry hulk, its brilliant to see him come in and hurt people - I just wished he had signed up to a fuller scheduleNXT - I love the idea of a TV show for the jobbers, wrestling in their own federation, showing what they can do what they are not being destroyed in a minute on the main shows - I'm surprised the Brooklyn Brawler hasn't been dug out of retirement to take part. If only this idea was around in the days of Iron Mike Sharpe and Sandy Beach etc etcHateTNA - I want it to be better. Its not really improved since Hogan and Bischoff came in - Bully Ray and Bobby Roode are the only ones who've moved forward. Ring Ka King was a great business move, but what next?Hall of Fame - the grudges of the past should be buried, and those that deserve a spot in the hall be given a spot - first up, Macho Man and Bruno SammartineThe death of tag team wrestling in WWE - when I really got into wrestling you had Demolition, Hart Foundation, British Bulldogs, Killer Bees, Strikeforce, Rougeaus, Rockers, Islanders etc. They had good identity, great matches, managers, and were the launchpads for decent solo careers. WHy they can't see the benefits of a good tag division to the product on both the short and long term is beyond me

Archived