The Olympics

carolann

Is anyone else actually interested in - and looking forward to the Olympics??I am - l have friends who are working in LOCOG & one friend is part of the paralympic Opening CeremonyI dont have tickets, couldnt really afford any, but dont care. As i am unemployed in a week i'll have a summer off and plan to take baby G to the park and watch some stuff on the big screens.Anyone going to see anything/excited/interesting?

• Moderators

I have an interest in the ceremonies just to see how badly we ebarass ourselves compared to China, and the women's beach volleyball.That's probably about it.Hah.. Nah, I don't really care for sport but, as a London dweller, I am looking forward to the whole atmosphere of it all.

Theres no way our opening ceremony will match Chinas - but hopefully our underwhelming 5 minutes at their closing ceremony set the bar so low that it cant possibly be worse than that at least.I actually quite like the Eurostar Ad about the opening ceremony - i'd be happy if we fired people wearing different flags as capes from cannons.

• Paid Members

I'm a massive fan of the Olympics so I'm obviously looking forward to it. I'm not looking forward to it any more than Beijing or Sydney though, which is a real shame. Probably just sulking because I didn't get tickets but still.I just hope they do more to engage young kids. I'll be trying to get my daughter interested but I hope they go mad about it in schools and it gives kids something to aspire to. They probably won't though. There's not enough focus on sport in schools these days.What I find odd about these polls they do when they find out that half the country isn't interested in the Olympics is that they never bother to ask if they usually care. Because while I'm sure there'll be a great number who are interested just because it's at home and there'll be a small number who have been disengaged, most people who don't care wouldn't care wherever it is. Which is fine.

• Paid Members

I love the Olympics (and the winter version) and I can't wait for this.Normally I'm more hyped up for it but because it's in London this time and they will probably fuck it up I'm not as enthused as I usually am. Beijing was spectacular and anything London has planned will pale in comparison to it.Not going to see anything, but I think Britain will struggle to reach the targets that have been set medal-wise under the home field pressure.On a general Olympics note, I hope at some point they bin football, basketball and tennis from the games. None of these sports need to be included and no-one cares about them and they don't belong in the Olympics. They should be trying something like futsal or beach soccer as demonstration sports, and stuff like real tennis if they want to look beyond versions of football.

• Paid Members

On a general Olympics note, I hope at some point they bin football, basketball and tennis from the games. None of these sports need to be included and no-one cares about them and they don't belong in the Olympics. They should be trying something like futsal or beach soccer as demonstration sports, and stuff like real tennis if they want to look beyond versions of football.

Agree with this. I think any sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of achievement shouldn't be in it. The only exceptions I'd throw in are Ice Hockey and basketball because there is no international scene for those sports so the Olympics does serve a purpose. I must admit though, that the novelty of seeing a GB football team does interest me this time. I'm not going to watch the Olympic footy because I'll be too busy following City again by August but I'm hoping to go to the friendly against Brazil at Middlesbrough.

• Paid Members

On a general Olympics note, I hope at some point they bin football, basketball and tennis from the games. None of these sports need to be included and no-one cares about them and they don't belong in the Olympics. They should be trying something like futsal or beach soccer as demonstration sports, and stuff like real tennis if they want to look beyond versions of football.

Agree with this. I think any sport where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of achievement shouldn't be in it. The only exceptions I'd throw in are Ice Hockey and basketball because there is no international scene for those sports so the Olympics does serve a purpose.
I think basketball's lack of international scene is more its fault, though, mainly because it isn't the focal point of that particular sport. I'm sure they have their own continental and international tournaments, though, as does ice hockey. I think bumclasshero is the resident basketball expert, he would know better than I.I'd love to see beach soccer and futsal at the Olympics, I think they are both individually really interesting takes on football.

• Paid Members

I think basketball's lack of international scene is more its fault, though, mainly because it isn't the focal point of that particular sport. I'm sure they have their own continental and international tournaments, though, as does ice hockey. I think bumclasshero is the resident basketball expert, he would know better than I.I'd love to see beach soccer and futsal at the Olympics, I think they are both individually really interesting takes on football.

I like futsal. I think beach soccer is completely pointless though. It barely resembles the game at all. I still don't see either as Olympic sports. The real thing exists and thrives elsewhere.

• Paid Members

I like futsal. I think beach soccer is completely pointless though. It barely resembles the game at all. I still don't see either as Olympic sports. The real thing exists and thrives elsewhere.
Why's it pointless? It doesn't matter whether it resembles football at all, it's still a perfectly serviceable sport on its own.

As of last night I picked up a job to be part of the promotional team to publicise the Olympic Torch Relay as it passes through my area. My job entails publicising the route and what streets it will go along as well as working with local press to advise if advance road closures. On the day the torch comes through I will be a steward for crowd control.

Archived