show postponed, anyone read this?

Jetta's G-string

1. BritWres promoters all shake hands and agree to work together.

2. ???

3. BIGGER THAN THE NWA IN THE SEVENTIES!!!

Fucking hell, the "BritWres will be great again if only the promoters join forces!" berks that always pop up in threads like these put so little thought into their plans, they don't even have enough steps for a shit-plan meme.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. BritWres promoters all shake hands and agree to work together.2. ???3. BIGGER THAN THE NWA IN THE SEVENTIES!!!Fucking hell, the "BritWres will be great again if only the promoters join forces!" berks that always pop up in threads like these put so little thought into their plans, they don't even have enough steps for a shit-plan meme.

Your 3 point system would make a good T-Shirt, and would probably shift more units than Brit-Wres tickets.

• Paid Members

I don't know if anybody knew this but the licence that wasn't in place was a tempory events licence not public liability. I think that one major point here is that said promoter would have actually had to contact the council to find out whether FPW had a licence in place so he definatly went out his way to get it closed down. He lost a lot of people wages on the day , fans would have travelled and the promotor out of pocket. Was the FPW in the wrong , maybe or maybe just niave to what he needed. From what I am told he is a good guy who is really trying to put on decent shows . I don't know him so can't vouch for him but also want to mention that the reason it all happened very late on is because then it would have been to late to do anything about it which i'm sure would have been the intentions of the promoter that informed the council.

• Paid Members

The more I think about it, the less I like the fact that it was acted upon so late, thus cutting FPW's feet from under them, but the fact remains that even if it's just to cover your arse from stuff like this, you should do your research and keep things above board. And anything that makes wrestling in this country more professional across the board will have had a positive consequence, regardless of its original intention.To use an extreme analogy, it's like someone murdering a paedophile. I've no sympathy for either party.

• Paid Members

The promoter had no one to blame but himself. If there's workers out of pocket and fans turning up to a show that's no longer happening, then their frustrations should be turned to the promoter, not the person who made the call.Yes, it was a dickish move and what's goes around comes around, but if you don't know enough about something, stay out of it. If you're half-way through your house getting rewired and your electrician gets caught working without the correct regulations and can't finish the work, then your beef's with the electrician for being a dick and a cowboy. Yes, you'd be frustrated at the situation, but it's not the whistleblower's fault.

• Paid Members

TV's so much different to the days of Hale and Pace and Big Daddy. You need a Simon Cowell in association with a TV channel to stick a load of people in a building to watch the wrestling on a Saturday and having ITV promote the shit out of it. You need to shove this in every magazine, every newspaper, have people talking about it and actually have the talent to live up to the hype. And thats never going to happen, because who wants to watch wrestling? WWE doesn't even generate half of its audience from 10 years ago. British Wrestling has no chance.

• Paid Members

Exactly. You couldn't even do something like Transatlantic Wrestling Challenge on TV these days. All Star's model is the one to follow.

That's why, though I enjoyed Lister's book on British wrestling, I couldn't get along with the "who is the most influential person in British wrestling?" bit. It's either got to be a picture of Brian Dixon, and that's it, or it's the Queen, for allowing it to happen at all, gorblesser.

Wrestler Richard Parliament has revealed on his official Facebook page that he is now working for the council, in licensing!His last update reads - "I vow to shut down any illegal shows. I'm coming for you Mr Bagga!"Gimmick of the year.

I've finally come to the realisation that I do not belong in the wrestling business. I just don't know what came over me that morning when I woke up and decided I was going to become a wrestling promoter, why or why did I even think about running my promotion like an actual business!

Anyway, apologies for the sarcasm. Going onto what others have said about Dixon etc you're absolutely right. British wrestling isn't getting on mainstream TV anytime soon, why? Because the WWE is ALL of wrestling in the eyes of the media, and like 'The_Barbarian' says, it would take someone with as much clout as your Simon Cowells to even attempt something, and 1) he probably doesn't even know British wrestling exists, 2) if he did, he wouldn't be stupid enough to go against Vince. If multi-billionaire and TV network owner Ted Turner couldn't beat him, what chance does Simon Cowell have? And 3) Simon I hear is too preoccupied with The Voice to even care!

Now a lot of promoters in the UK are doing all they can to make British wrestling BIG, that's cool, there's nothing wrong with that. I on the other hand is just a promoter looking to make my bank balance BIG. Now I like the fact that there's promoters out there trying to make British wrestling BIG and get it onto mainstream TV, because if that ever happens, then I will be in a good position to call that said TV executive whose interested and say "Hi, my name is Alan Ravenhill, i've been running successful shows all around the country, in prestigious venues, to very good crowds for many years, as you can see from my accounts, everything about my business is legitimate, and more to the point, I have a proven track record of running finacially successful wrestling shows as well as expanding my wrestling portfolio during a recession. I hear you are interested in running a weekly wrestling programme? Well I believe that with my proven track record in the wrestling sector, as well as the amount of hours TV I could produce with the amount of shows I run, with my financial clout and with my wrestlers, then I'd be the man for you on this new venture you're taking, especially taking into account your production expertise. How about I pop down to your HQ and have a chat with you?"

That above scenario may happen, or it may never happen. Quite frankly I don't care. In fact, when it comes to wrestling right now, there's only three things I care about: 1) My show this friday in Barry at the Memorial Hall Theatre. 2) Whether or not Sin Cara is returning as I have a unit full of his merchandise I need to shift. And 3) The guy from Sunderland i'm emailing back and forth, who owns a foam company, that i'm trying to strike a deal with about making foam hands in bulk for me at the lowest price possible.

Oh, and one last thing. Lets all get this fallacy out of our heads that British wrestling was big. It wasn't. It was well known, it was popular, but it wasn't big. Les Kellet died a known man, because he was involved in a well known business. If he was involved in a big business, he would've died a millionaire.

Archived