show postponed, anyone read this?

Jetta's G-string

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Really though, one sentance sums this incident up: IF THE SHOW WAS LEGAL, IT COULDN'T BE CANCELLED. And anyone saying differently really needs to wise up and accept that in business there are certain laws and regulations that you must abide by.

That isn't really the issue though. Unless you're willing to stand up now and call Steve Evans a liar, he's saying that he asked the venues if they held the required license, and they told him yes they did. If that's the case, and someone was aware that the venues were mistaken, I think it's a little shitty that they didn't tell Evans.
It's not a case of calling the guy a liar. He asked they venue if he could run a show there, they said yes. This quote here is the critical one:

We have public liability insurance in place and have done since our first show. We enquired a year ago whether or not we could host events there [Wallington Hall] and were told by Sutton Theatres that we could. The venue hosted boxing there a few months before so Sutton may well have thought that their license included wrestling. The first time we were made aware of that it was not the case was when I took a call from them at 4.45pm on the 4th of May 2012.

He didn't ask the specific questions he should have done. He should have known exactly what license the venue needed, and asked specifically if they were covered. Especially with something like pro-wrestling where classification of what kind of event it is is unusual. He didn't do the proper research, which is clearly his responsibility.He's not a liar, he is a bad businessman. Stupid mistakes / lazy unprofessional behaviour can bite you on the ass, and that's exactly what happened.This all said, whoever made the call you're probably reading this thread and I guess you already know it was a total bitch move and you're some weasely fucko, right?

Anyway, this is straying far from the point. I don't dispute that unlicensed shows shouldn't happen. I dispute that active sabotage is something anyone should be engaging in. I dispute that promoters shouldn't be working together to build the British wrestling industry into something big.

In all seriousness now, can you give me a logical reason as to why I would want to do that?Outside of wrestling I own a security company, and believe me, I don't help other security companies with their business. So why would I do that in wrestling? I'm in business to make money.
I assume you like money?Right now, British wrestling is not that big. The bigger it gets, the more people will to to wrestling shows. You put on wrestling shows. You want more people to come to your show. Because you get more money that way.Security is not really a business in need of growth.

• Paid Members

I'd like to know what business Dante successfully runs as he hands out his advice to a successful businessman, if he doesn't mind sharing his own personal experiences with the forum.

• Moderators

How much will it grow? What's the timeframe for growth? How much more money will he make? Will the sunk time costs outweigh the benefits?You make a lot of assumptions of a business you know nothing about, and that has previous and current form of hostility towards competitors.Turning that ship around would clearly be a massive ballache. Who needs that shit?Again though, that's different from going out of your way to purposely undermine competitors (or perceived copetitors) and the effect of doing that.. well who knows if it's a net gain or loss? Those are just differing theories, but tbh I can't see it making that much of a difference either way and it seems pretty fucking lame and petty.

• Paid Members

I ran a music promotion company but honestly that's not really relevant.

Well, it is. Here you are handing out business advice to a man who has a proven and successful track record in two very different sectors, so I think a framing of your own business experiences are entirely relevant.

But why is it down to Ravenhill to shut the shows down? even when they have the right licence? POWER POWER BABY.

Of the two promoters quoted as being critical. One of them was running a show in the same town.**Clue: It wasn't Ravenhill.

Archived