show postponed, anyone read this?

Jetta's G-string

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont get me wrong here too. If licenses are not in place then thats not good however its a shame that someone (dont know who it is) would stoop so low to deny an opportunity to raise money for charity.Whoever did that hit an all time low in my opinion.I guess the lesson to be learned is make sure you have all your paper work in tact in order to make sure your show runs smoothly and rival promoters cant do this sort of shit.

Why not ask the relevant promotion first? If FPW were under the impression they were covered, but were told they weren't, then I assume they would have made arrangements to be covered.If they then so nothing about it, by all means then report them. Quite frankly, Sanjay Bagga and Alan Ravenhill come across as utter tosspots. There seems to be a real chance to build UK wrestling at the moment. That should mean everyone pulling together and helping create a wrestling culture. The more people interested in wrestling in the UK means the more chance there is of people coming to your shows.Run the charlatans out of business sure. But anyone who is positively contributing to the UK scene should receive all the help they can get.

Why not ask the relevant promotion first? If FPW were under the impression they were covered, but were told they weren't, then I assume they would have made arrangements to be covered.If they then so nothing about it, by all means then report them. Quite frankly, Sanjay Bagga and Alan Ravenhill come across as utter tosspots. There seems to be a real chance to build UK wrestling at the moment. That should mean everyone pulling together and helping create a wrestling culture. The more people interested in wrestling in the UK means the more chance there is of people coming to your shows.Run the charlatans out of business sure. But anyone who is positively contributing to the UK scene should receive all the help they can get.

I can see Ravenhill's point. It doesn't matter how good the promoter is, how good the production values are or how talented the workers on the card are. If there's no valid insurance and some little kid gets hurt. The local paper is going to run "TODDLER INJURED AT UNINSURED WRESTLING SHOW" on the front page. If you're really unlucky. The Sun and Fail get hold of it and it's not just one town or area thats got a problem, The whole country is going to get to hear about it... and all because someone couldn't be arsed/didn't know about licensing for the venue. Deliberately fucking over a charity show to silence the competition is something else though. There was another phone call that could have been made to the poor bloke running the show to let him know he'll need to get his licensing sorted out instead of grassing him up to the local council.

• Moderators

Quite frankly, Sanjay Bagga and Alan Ravenhill come across as utter tosspots. There seems to be a real chance to build UK wrestling at the moment. That should mean everyone pulling together and helping create a wrestling culture. The more people interested in wrestling in the UK means the more chance there is of people coming to your shows.Run the charlatans out of business sure. But anyone who is positively contributing to the UK scene should receive all the help they can get.

I reckon Alan Ravenhill speaks perfect sense.

Wrestling is a business and should be treated as one.

Wrestling in this country will only improve when all promoters see it as that. No more brown envelope shit, not paying taxes, not getting licenses and proper insurance and that.

• Paid Members

Exactly. It'll lose some people money and stop them promoting, but that's just weeding out the shit.Also: "Rather than trying to sabotage other promotions, why not assist them in ensuring what has to be done is done?" How? Buying the license for you? Guy's clearly just embarrassed at being caught not knowing what he's doing, and is firing off shots at everyone else to save face.

What licence is required to run a professional wrestling event? I ran a test show in 2005, purely to see if there was lkely to be any money in it (no, was the answer I arrived at), and wasn't aware of any licesning requirement at the time, nor am I now.

• Paid Members

Public liability insurance, for a start. And I'm certain the venue needs to hold a license for combat sports or something similar, which is probably the license in question.

• Paid Members

Dirty trick that. It's not like anyone who was going to the FPW show and finding out it was cancelled was suddenly going to go down the road to watch a card full of rest holds (LDN). Ravenhill and Bagga should get a room.

I get that wrestling is a business. But those chaps freely admitted they would always grass someone up rather than find out first if it was a genuine error or they're trying to pull a fast one. If it's true that the venues were saying they had insurence when they didn't, that's not the promoters fault.Obviously they could be lying. But if they're not, and they've been misled by the venue, I don't see why everyone has to suffer. If it turns out someone is just dodgy, shop them, and shop them publicly. promotions working together is much, much better for the industry.

I just wrote a rather lengthy response to this and then deleted it.Basically, if anyone wants to run a show they have to abide by the various rules, regulations, etc. If they have 'issues' it's their responsibility to sort them or cancel the show, but we know not everyone would unless they were told to. If someone runs an unlicensed show the negative press and any knock on effects (tougher license regs, higher insurance costs, lower crowds, etc) would have a knock-on to all UK promotions and promoters including Bagga and Ravenhill. The fact it's a charity show, to me, means the licensing is no less important than a normal show, if anything it's probably more important.We dont know what has happened here, and I dont think it actually matters who grassed, the important thing is it's a really unfortunate occurrence and it would probably be helpful if there was somewhere that promoters (especially new ones) could talk to someone to check what they need and get help & advice if there are any issues.

Archived