Reclaiming PPI on bank loans, credit cards, etc

DJ Kris

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work for a provider that has been inundated with claims. Most have set up a seperate complaints department at their head office and some even set aside seperate funds to pay for them. Put your complaint in writing and jog on down to your branch(es) and they'll forward it on to the right department. My gaffe is actually so desperate to avoid any of these claims reaching the Ombudsman - for which the fine is usually heavier than the cost of repaying the payments with interest, a fine incurred regardless of whether they rule in favour of the customer or not - that we actually paid out on one of these claims even though the customer had once claimed on their MPPI and had their mortgage paid during a period of unemployment.

Some of my friends pursued PPI claims unsuccessfully, so I am going to choose to dismiss all of your relevant experience, iimpartiality and expertise.

I have just started doing some training on PPI claims at the bank that I work for & the guy who is running the training course which I am on pretty much told us the same thing earlier today.

Basically the issue is that banks have a strict 8 week deadline to deal with any claim which is received. If the case goes beyond the 8 weeks it has to be referred to the ombudsman. The ombudsman charges a fee (around

• Paid Members

Every settlement offer letter that passed across my desk also offered the interest, although I couldnt tell you for sure that it wasnt because every single complaint had made reference to it.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Just thought I'd give an update. I rang HSBC today to see how they were getting on, they confirmed they are sending me an offer letter on the Loan PPI I've claimed, I asked for

That's great stuff, good arrows!

Started this process myself now, well Mrs Houchen is doing it for me. Following the advice on Money Saving Expert and got my credit reference thingy in the bag. Loads of stuff I'd forgotten about on there. I think over the course of the last decade I've had a mortgage, three loans and two credit cards. To be honest, any dosh will be a bonus.

• Paid Members

I wish I'd done this ages ago! This will clear all my debts, which will be the first time since I was 18 that I've been debt free, and I'll finally be able to afford a decent PC! Now keeping my fingers crossed my other claims go through!

Update on mine, Santander, have said 'no way jose', so will appeal as their grounds for refusal are flimsy, in so much that they have completely ignored my complaint!

HSBC have sent a questionnaire to fill in

and Capital One who are being fined over their rubbish PPI stuff havent actually sent anything back

• Paid Members
and Capital One who are being fined over their rubbish PPI stuff havent actually sent anything back

Capital One have refused to even send me my credit agreement on the grounds that they don't have to see my account is closed. So I'm gonna send them a

• Paid Members
Those are big figures Kris. Without prying, is that because you took a lot of finance out or do you get all of the interest refunded?

You get 8% interest, but I have had a lot of finance, I had 6 loans between 1998 and 2009 and the credit card I've had since 2003, although the PPI reclaim only went back to 2005. Over the moon is not the words! This see's me totally debt free for the first time since I was 18 and with the money for a fantastic computer, which I'll be needing very soon, and of course some left over for a rainy day/holiday/car or whatever.

Archived