Reclaiming PPI on bank loans, credit cards, etc

DJ Kris

• Paid Members

We used to have a massive thread relating to bank charges but I couldn't find it. I've just started trying to reclaim any PPI I may have been mis-sold on the various loans and cards I've had over the years, wondered if anyone else had claimed or had any success? I'm particularly interested if anyone been able to make a successful claim relating to a loan or card that was closed over 6 years ago.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I work for a provider that has been inundated with claims. Most have set up a seperate complaints department at their head office and some even set aside seperate funds to pay for them. Put your complaint in writing and jog on down to your branch(es) and they'll forward it on to the right department. My gaffe is actually so desperate to avoid any of these claims reaching the Ombudsman - for which the fine is usually heavier than the cost of repaying the payments with interest, a fine incurred regardless of whether they rule in favour of the customer or not - that we actually paid out on one of these claims even though the customer had once claimed on their MPPI and had their mortgage paid during a period of unemployment. That's right, not only was he aware of what the policy could do for him, he even claimed and enjoyed the benefit of the protection during a period of potential financial hardship, yet still had the front to claim he was mis-sold it, and we paid the fucker.

If genuine, pop your account in writing of what exactly happened each time you were sold the insurance, be it that you didnt see the need, didnt want it, didnt know you had it or our personal favourite, were not made aware that it was completely optional. If of course you knew what the policy did for you and wanted it, and are just claiming to get some money back because it seems easy, you're a cunt and I hope you die.

Oh, final tip - dont get angry with any branch staff, not only was it not them that (mis) sold you the cover, they also have no say in the resolution of your case. All they can do is receive your complaint and pass it to the people who will have a say.

• Paid Members

I work for a provider that has been inundated with claims. Most have set up a seperate complaints department at their head office and some even set aside seperate funds to pay for them. Put your complaint in writing and jog on down to your branch(es) and they'll forward it on to the right department. My gaffe is actually so desperate to avoid any of these claims reaching the Ombudsman - for which the fine is usually heavier than the cost of repaying the payments with interest, a fine incurred regardless of whether they rule in favour of the customer or not - that we actually paid out on one of these claims even though the customer had once claimed on their MPPI and had their mortgage paid during a period of unemployment. That's right, not only was he aware of what the policy could do for him, he even claimed and enjoyed the benefit of the protection during a period of potential financial hardship, yet still had the front to claim he was mis-sold it, and we paid the fucker.If genuine, pop your account in writing of what exactly happened each time you were sold the insurance, be it that you didnt see the need, didnt want it, didnt know you had it or our personal favourite, were not made aware that it was completely optional. If of course you knew what the policy did for you and wanted it, and are just claiming to get some money back because it seems easy, you're a cunt and I hope you die.Oh, final tip - dont get angry with any branch staff, not only was it not them that (mis) sold you the cover, they also have no say in the resolution of your case. All they can do is receive your complaint and pass it to the people who will have a say.

Here's the thing, I don't ever remember discussing any kind of insurance, I have a vague recollection of signing up for something with HSBC and them just explaining what things were but not actually giving me the choice of whether to have it. Certainly with their Credit Card, which I still have they charge me 79p per

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update. HSBC have now sent me details of my Credit Card agreement and all my previous bank loans with them, so I've now made a claim for the PPI on the card, although I don't know the amount this comes to as well as a claim against my banks loans which worked out at

• Paid Members
You were all over that last thread too weren't you? How many overdrafts and credit cards have you got Kris?

A little worrying...

Yeah I reclaimed charges before. I've had 7 loans (6 with the bank) and a similar number of cards over the years. It's only really been the last couple of years that I've started to get better with money.

• Paid Members

I'd be shocked if they dont offer you any every penny you've ever paid in PPI plus interest on the total at the standard rate (which I can't remember whether it's 6% or 7% APR from the last settlement I looked at) because they really dont want the costs of contesting the claim and they definitely dont want it going to the Ombudsman. We've all been slapped on the wrists by this, to the point (as I've document above) that my lot are even paying out when there is enough evidence to suggest the applicant knew what they were getting (and took the benefit of).

I genuinely think about 95% of people just saying "I was mis-sold this PPI" will get the lot back. Not that I'm encouraging you all to do that, not at all.

This PPI stuff does it cover store cards as well? As the PPI stuff I had on my credit card, and store cards were forced upon me when taking them out, but were in fact useless when it came to claim as the various ailments which they passed off as not being covered, so what was the point? At no point at signing was I made aware that my ailments wouldnt be covered (or indeed what ailments wouldnt be covered) when signing up. it was dead money and couldnt be cancelled. (The only thing managed to opt out of was on the mortgage, but then we had to have life cover, so couldnt opt of that) So even though unemployed through injury and still having to pay this was scuppered.

It would be two store cards (Burtons/Next), credit card( Capital One) and a loan with HSBC that would be the issue (Loan finished over 6 years ago though iirc)

No idea where to start on this and having read the Moneysavingexpert stuff I'm more confused.

Do you just ask the providers and they have a form, or do you need more than that?

Cheers

• Paid Members
This PPI stuff does it cover store cards as well?

A lot of storecards are provided by banks like MBNA, Santander and others, so its possible, but then again the agents that set them up (stores themselves) I can't imagine are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. No harm in asking, I'd ring the number on the back of the storecard and simply ask "who do I write to in order to complain about the insurance." Don't ask, don't get.

Do you just ask the providers and they have a form, or do you need more than that?

Most High Street providers have set up seperate divisions (and set money aside) specifically for PPI refunds, you tend to just need to put your complaint in writing and the branch staff should send it to the right team in their internal mail. For storecards, give them a bell and ask.

This PPI stuff does it cover store cards as well?

A lot of storecards are provided by banks like MBNA, Santander and others, so its possible, but then again the agents that set them up (stores themselves) I can't imagine are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. No harm in asking, I'd ring the number on the back of the storecard and simply ask "who do I write to in order to complain about the insurance." Don't ask, don't get.

Most High Street providers have set up seperate divisions (and set money aside) specifically for PPI refunds, you tend to just need to put your complaint in writing and the branch staff should send it to the right team in their internal mail. For storecards, give them a bell and ask.

Cheers, not got the cards any more, paid them off. Would that be a problem?

Just dug through my bank statements and have both original loan agreements, I got one in 2001 and consolidated/extended it in 2004. PPI was included in the loans, there was no opt out or optional thing it was part of the loan agreement that there had to be PPI. The full amounts were taken in full at the start of the loan :( Loans were with HSBC.

I've recently started working for a company that has been specifically set up to act on clients behalfs to reclaim PPI for you. It's no win no fee and if you do win the case then the charges are 10% + vat which is a lot less than the industry average etc.

We don't advertise at the moment but if anyone's interested then if you give me a PM I'll give you the number and website. We basically do everything for you, you just need to go through a questionaire firstx simple questions about the policy, like would you agree the terms and conditions of Yeh policy wasn't clearly explained to you, did you feel pressurised into taking the policy, that sort of thing.

We'd then send complaint letters to the banks on your behalf and cab request your original documents from the lenders if you don't still have them and that.

Been quite successful so far tbh (been going since January) and its ideal if you don't want all the hassle yourself.

Oh and Pat, we do make claims on store cards too.

• Paid Members

Ring them up, that the debt was settled should have no baring on the fact they owe you money. We've paid out on plenty of historical agreements.

I've recently started working for a company that has been specifically set up to act on clients behalfs to reclaim PPI for you.

Is it you bastards that keep ringing my mother and telling her she can get loads of PPI back from the loan she never had?

These companies no doubt provide a great service for those that need it, but the cold calling is provoking some very loud swearing in our house.

Nah we don't cold call or anything like that.

Like I say we don't.even advertise at the moment, a lot of the clients we have are referred to us from our sister company which helps people in debt.

Literally the only way to get in touch is to call into us, no cold calling, no text messaging or any of that bollocks.

Archived