Matches, Shows And Specials You Have Watched Recently

Vice

• Paid Members

Watched King Of The Ring 2000 earlier and realised the finish of the main event was exactly the same as this year's Wrestlemania, with Vince in Cena's role.

Can you elaborate on that?Thanks Gladstone and dharmabear for the recommendations. I'll look up that Pillman dvd. I've gone for the Edge one next though. I also want to apologise for asking about a Triple H dvd when King of Kings has been mentioned several times in this thread already. That's what I get for skimming the thread on my phone before posting.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

2585249[/url]']

2585244[/url]' date='May 11 2012, 10:30']Can you elaborate on that?

The finish is the same. Vince tries to do the People's Elbow, but Rock jumps up and gave him the Rock Bottom to take Triple H's title.
Ah yes, now I remember. I remembered The Rock pinning Vince to win the title, but forgot Vince's People's elbow spot. I seem to recall The Rock doing that finish with someone else too. I recall The Rock laying prone, the opponent going for the elbow, only for Rocky to kip up and nail the Rock Bottom. I may be mixing this up with Booker T v The Rock at Summerslam 2001, with Book doing the spinarooni while Rock kipped up hit the Rock Bottom. Can anyone shed some light on that? Come on Pheonom, you and your Attitude Era encyclopaedic brain should be able to help out.

I checked out the new Austin profile set, too. The reviews on here are pretty spot-on. The documentary gives everything the time that it should have, and Austin comes across as very human and open, yet still as a tough bastard. You really do respect his passion and his work ethic by the end of it. There are a couple of cheesy montages in there, but that's such a minor, minor complaint when everything else is so terrific and insightful.There's a wealth of extras, especially on the Blu-Ray. Some of the segments featured have been replayed a million times on TV already and/or the clips we see of them in the documentary would have sufficed. But the earlier stuff in particular is brilliant to have, like the Livewire appearance and 97 Slammy Awards speech. Austin was so refreshing and outstanding at that time.Additional Q&As, bits cut from the documentary and exclusive off-the-air footage are all fun too. There's Rock and Austin in totally over-the-top pantomime mode after a Raw, shortly before Wrestlemania 19. They're slightly off verbally in places, but the physicality is wonderfully hammy. And there's a talking-head where CM Punk paints Austin as truly 'one of the boys' and Hogan as a cunt.Incidentally, Austin does mention that he needed to be working with Hogan around the time of Wrestlemania 18. Was he actually open to that at the time? If so, why didn't it ever happen during Hogan's run then? Is that the cause of a lot of the animosity between the two that's preventing the match now?Anyway, great profile set. I was only planning on watching the documentary, but ending up spending a couple of hours more on the extras, too.

besides the obvious logistics of Hogan being in TNA and Austin not needing to wrestle anymore, that's why the match won't happen now. As for then, Hogan will have done what Hogan did best and want to go over Austin clean, and Austin wouldn't have been willing to do it, and rightfully so

• Paid Members

Incidentally, Austin does mention that he needed to be working with Hogan around the time of Wrestlemania 18. Was he actually open to that at the time? If so, why didn't it ever happen during Hogan's run then?

The version I have read, which Austin seems to contradict on the DVD, is that he was offered first refusal of wrestling Hogan at 'Mania XVIII, but declined because he knew Hogan would find a way of upstaging him, much as he ended up doing to The Rock.Hmm.... running that phrasing through my mind, it reeks of Fin Martin, I think I probably read it in PS. Meaning, take it with a massive sack of salt.

Finally watched the last of the 'Big Five' PPVs from the 1990s that I hadn't seen - King of the Ring 1995. It's not as bad as I expected. It's still pretty lame though. It seems that Savio Vega's music is playing for about half the show.Surprised to find that Diesel/Bigelow vs Sid/Tatanka was a decent enough match.Actually, some of the work on the show was alright. The booking just killed the card.Oh, and ECW Hat Guy was very angry throughout.

I decided to check that show out again last night, mainly because i've always shat on it based on results and memory of my thoughts at the time, but couldn't actually remember most of it.Unfortunately, I should just have trusted my instincts and moved on, because it really was a great steaming pile of turd.It's a struggle to actually think of anything that was good. I suppose the ending to Hitman/King was pretty satisfying, Jarrett and Road Dog were a good laugh, Dok was moderately amusing as he translated for Savio, likewise with Backlunds mad skit, and as you say, the main event was watchable, even if it was absolutely ridiculous to be closing off a PPV with Tatanka.So the wrestling was pretty shit, but the booking was just on a whole other level of awful-ness. You would struggle to do any worse even if you tried. For a start the lineup was weak as hell. No important singles matches, no title matches, and horrible brackets for the tournament. Guys like Savio, Roadie (who wasn't even an active wrestler), Kama, and Sparky Plugg in at the expense of stars like Luger, Double J, Owen, Bulldog, Razor or entertaining newcomers like Hakushi and Pierre. No sign of half the midcard either.And of the 3 guys anyone gave a shit about, 1 pulled out and the other two were gone in the first round. I don't even have so much of a problem with Mabel winning the thing, as I do with just about everything they done to get to that point. 4 Savio matches in one night? HBK out in the first round?, Taker weakly losing to a stomp and legdrop, and not a single good match in the whole thing. It was an awful mess.So who was booking that shit and what was he on? Watts wasn't in by that point was he?

• Paid Members

besides the obvious logistics of Hogan being in TNA and Austin not needing to wrestle anymore, that's why the match won't happen now. As for then, Hogan will have done what Hogan did best and want to go over Austin clean, and Austin wouldn't have been willing to do it, and rightfully so

Austin should have manned up and put Hogan over. Since it was a battle of two big stars, the biggest star should have won that match. So obviously Hogan should have definitely went over in that one.Austin regrets not having the match. He's said as much a load of times. There is zero heat between them these days. Austin saw Hogan at a gym in Florida about a year ago, and they got on well. I don't think Austin has much negativity in him anymore these days. Seems a cool guy.

Seems a cool guy.

Seems a VERY cool guy. I can't recall him ever using Twitter to bad mouth anybody (except Casey Anthony - which is fair enough) and seems to be loving his life. and enjoying the fruits of his labour.

Incidentally, Austin does mention that he needed to be working with Hogan around the time of Wrestlemania 18. Was he actually open to that at the time? If so, why didn't it ever happen during Hogan's run then?

The version I have read, which Austin seems to contradict on the DVD, is that he was offered first refusal of wrestling Hogan at 'Mania XVIII, but declined because he knew Hogan would find a way of upstaging him, much as he ended up doing to The Rock.Hmm.... running that phrasing through my mind, it reeks of Fin Martin, I think I probably read it in PS. Meaning, take it with a massive sack of salt.
Don't know if you read Scott Keith raid, but he's definitely peddled this one before. Equally as redundant a source too.I'm sad Austin/Hogan never happened, but I really hated Austin's work after his November turn, so as mad as it sounds to have lost our chance at the match, I think hindsight tells me The Rock was the right guy. I remember thinking Austin was sandbagging virtually everybody he was in the ring with by then (except, oddly enough for Bossman), so with that attitude I don't think he'd have managed the crowd being so pro-Hogan half as well as Rock did. He certainly hung Jericho out to dry just one month after Rock bust his balls to make him look amazing. Steve Austin could be a right fucking bellend actually, it's really cool to see how laid back he's gotten.

Archived