Matches, Shows And Specials You Have Watched Recently

Vice

• Paid Members

When I was off work with my eyes threatening to fall out, I too picked up the new Austin set (and the older one as well for some of the matches) and was thrilled with the content. Austin was never my favourite guy during his run, but he was involved in a lot of amazing matches and segments so I owed it to myself to finally pick it up the concise histories of his career. I love the "sit down interview" DVDs far more than the "just lots of matches with brief links" type, and the seven discs combined gave me the perfect amount of Austin.

- He goes as far as he can in calling Owen Hart a dangerous cunt, without completely pissing on the dead. The sloppy twat nearly KILLED him with a move The Undertaker has done safely forty hundred times.

In fairness, Undertaker never decided mid-move that sitting out would make it look ace.

His Livewire appearance is included in full in the extras, and is fucking OUTSTANDING, thank you very much.

The early stuff is indeed phenomenal. We of course never got that version of Livewire over here, and thank God, because if Sky One were cutting to a wide shot every time Mankind shoved two fingers inside Aldo Montoya's jockstrap, I can't imagine how they would have made that episode acceptable to air. Just played the visuals and played Tubular Bells in the background or something.The ECW promos were amazing and I cant believe I'd not seen any of them before other than the one he cut atop the ladder, and the "Monday Nyquill" and "Steveamania" ones that featured on 'Cause Stone Cold Said So (previously the only Austin release I'd bought). The passion he showed in all of those and ending them with "that's the bottom line" clearly was the blueprint for the "Stone Cold" character. As Austin himself pointed out, how on Earth this was dissolved in favour of the Ringmaster is completely beyond me.Overall, awesome set with some incredible insight that puts quite a few other sets to shame.With that in mind, would any of you that have King Of Kings (HHH set) recommend it to someone who has all the matches already on other releases, or is it more "just matches with brief links" in the mold of the Edge or Rock sets?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

"They always say The Undertaker is the Phenom of the WWF, or that Shawn Michaels is the most charismatic performer in the WWF. Well Savio Vega is the cockroach of the WWF, and I'm the exterminator".It's been a few years since I've watched King Of Kings, but I remember it being quite underwhelming. It features a sit down interview with Triple H and they go through his career, like they usually do.The latest Edge DVD is worth the time. It's as honest as you'll get from the WWE, and is packed with quality. You forget just how many great matches/segments Edge had during his career.

I watched In Your House 5 (December 1995) on Sunday morning, and it's mixed from all of the absolute shit that you get from around this time to some of the best stuff you will see as well. The Bret/Davey Boy main event is really really good, the blood was a surprise as I thought they had it banned for most of the 90s. The one bad thing about it though, is the over obsession they seem to all have on Diana Smith/Hart. I swear every god damn 30 seconds there is another shot of the woman. It's still not enough to ruin this main event though. Diesel/Owen is good even though it's cut short by a DQ ending about 5 minutes in, and the opener was Sid And The Kid against Razor Ramon and Marty Jannetty which I really enjoyed. The infamous Hog Pen match between HHH and Henry O. Godwinn is just all kinds of bad though so I just skipped that after enduring a good amount of time suffering through it. The Ahmed Johnson squash beating the Ric Flair rip off seems pointless, other than to set up his match with Double J at the next month's Royal Rumble when he gives him a beating with a record plaque. I'm sure they could have done that on Raw or Superstars a few weeks later.

I didn't mean to add to this thread so quickly, but if you've got an hour to spare Reyes del Aire is quite good fun. Ciberneticos are strange matches, not helped by the fact that they're usually cut to pieces but the 2012 one seems to have made it on the air pretty intact and has lots of good stuff. Some heated brawls between the two sides, some innovative high flying moves and submissions and a surprising outcome with a little bit of a story for the final two falls. There's an odd booking decision towards the end which doesn't make any sense to me but I assume it was followed up.

I've recently started watching old WCW again. About 6 months ago, I started watching WCW from the first ever Nitro. I'm now on Superbrawl VI and so far it's shit. Konnan vs. One Man Gang is embarrassing. It makes me appreciate WWE more for putting on a variety of lengths of matches. All matches seem to be about the same length. The crowd shat all over Konnan vs. One Man Gang and its botches, and Dusty Rhodes kept calling him Konad.I don't mind the Nitros as they're only 45 minutes at the moment, but the PPVs can be a chore to get through. I wonder how I'll get on with the longer episodes of Nitro.

It's been a few years since I've watched King Of Kings, but I remember it being quite underwhelming. It features a sit down interview with Triple H and they go through his career, like they usually do.

Why has Triple H still not had a three-disc set? He deserves two or three 3 disc sets to fit his stuff on - especially when Edge has two 3 disc sets.They never released an Angle one either.

I'm not sure they opted back in 06/07 to do a 2 disc when the 3 discs were common. My guess would be time, HHH would want full input into his set and probably to do an interview, if you can imagine the time that takes, I would say at the moment the man doesnt have the time. Rest assured when they are running low on ideas for sets he will make the timeAngle left just as the 2-3 disc DVD set thing was coming in (around 05-06 was when the first flair one came out which I recall being the first 3 disc). Now they wouldnt really want to highlight an active competitor in another promotion.

I'm not sure they opted back in 06/07 to do a 2 disc when the 3 discs were common. My guess would be time, HHH would want full input into his set and probably to do an interview, if you can imagine the time that takes, I would say at the moment the man doesnt have the time. Rest assured when they are running low on ideas for sets he will make the timeAngle left just as the 2-3 disc DVD set thing was coming in (around 05-06 was when the first flair one came out which I recall being the first 3 disc). Now they wouldnt really want to highlight an active competitor in another promotion.

I'm sure Flair's DVD came out about 2003/2004. I understand them not doing it whilst he's in TNA, but it seemed to me like they had ample time to bring an Angle DVD out. He could have even had a 2-disc set.

• Paid Members

Last night I watched the Stone Cold dvd that NEWM already reviewed in this thread. Normally I'm one to skip WWE DVD's, but I thought this was fantastic. Are there any good ones along the lines of this, where is mostly documentary style and not just video montages with music playing over highlights? One on Triple H would be awesome, for me. Any recommendations peeps?

• Paid Members

Brian Pillman: Loose Cannon should do you nicely, Chimpers. It's far and away my favourite WWE produced documentary to date and the included matches are excellently selected, too.

IIRC they actually had an Angle DVD planned while he was still with the company.It was due to be released with The Best of Confidential Vol 2 but both were cancelled.Triple H ws also down for a 3 disc set a couple of years ago but that too was pulled.Considering that he's only had one 2 disc DVD set released(excluding The Game and That Damn Good)one has to imagine that they'll go down the same route as Austin and make it a 4 disc DVD set.Anyway back on topic,I just watched Money In The Bank 2011 after picking it up cheap on Silvervision.I relise i'm very late on this one but what a brilliant PPV.Both MITB matches are excellent,Christian Vs Orton is brilliant with a terrific aftermath,loved the screwy ending aswell, and the main event which is great is made all the better by the red hot crowd.The surprise of the night was Henry Vs Big Show.2011 really was a fantastic year for Henry.I really enjoyed the PPV and would reccomend it for anybody that hasn't seen it yet.

Brian Pillman: Loose Cannon should do you nicely, Chimpers. It's far and away my favourite WWE produced documentary to date and the included matches are excellently selected, too.

Seconded. A great set that has an awful cover art, but still brilliant documentary and extras on one of my favourites.

Archived