Cycling. Anyone do it?

Jetta's G-string

I need to get into shape and hate all forms of cardio to be honest, especuially running. So i'm thinking of taking up cycling, not as a sport but as a form of exercise. I work 4 miles from home so could easily cycle there and back.

Do any of you cycle regular? If so what bike, helmet, equipment etc do you reccomend?

• Paid Members

Done it for six years now, just zooming about the cycle-paths in Glasgow.

Kind of went off it a bit recently. Too many cyclists that think they are Lance Armstrong and are willing to ram into the back of you and send you flying have popped up recently.

I don't know what the cycle-paths are like down south, but the ones up here are a total state. Glass EVERYWHERE, graffiti everywhere. Just nasty places. Puts me off too. You don't know who's lurking down there.

• Paid Members

I cycle to work and back, I cycle everywhere (within reason) if I'm by myself. I don't wear a helmet but probably should as I cycle like a complete cunt & take my life into my hands constantly.

It's by far my favourite way to get exercise.

I took it up this year. Just do the bike tracks dont go on the roads etc. Love it. Usually do a track around 17 miles. Great for getting fit and fresh air. If i cant get out i try and do around 10 or 12 miles every day at home on the exercise bike. Got my bike from halfords as an xmas gift it was around

• Paid Members

Cycling is great when you're in shape but just the worst when you're not. I used to cycle everywhere, even if it was a ten minute walk down the road. I used to cycle to college and back, cycle to town, or just find a nice cycle path and do a few miles.

Now I'm a fatty though I get knackered cycling for more than ten minutes. Nothing makes you feel more self-conscious than being a fatso on a bike, sweating profusely.

• Paid Members

I used to, but as the roads get wider, and the junctions get more and more lanes in them, it's just not enjoyable in the slightest anymore. I can't actually remember the last time I went out on my bike. It's probably at least two years ago.

Aw man the last time I went cycling was hell. My girlfriend.... with a thought process that makes no fucking sense to me... booked me on a surprise bike riding day out with some friends. If it wasn't for the fact she booked it exactly 2 months after my hip replacement it would of been a swell idea. I was a wreck after. Thank god for the half way pub and patient friends.I think cycling is one of those things where you've got to get past the proverbial fitness wall but then you will go on to get great benefits from it. I was like that with the cross trainer in my gym. Now I hit that badboy 4 days a week every other week.

Archived