What's the best phone for receiving emails?

Ravenhill Promotions

As a complete technophobe, i've always had a basic mobile phone as I only use it for calling, texts and its calculator. Now I have to start dealing with my emails. Since i'm out of the office a lot, the best way for me to do this is to buy a phone with very good email access, and preferably be quite easy to use.

Do you have any suggestions?

As a complete technophobe, i've always had a basic mobile phone as I only use it for calling, texts and its calculator. Now I have to start dealing with my emails. Since i'm out of the office a lot, the best way for me to do this is to buy a phone with very good email access, and preferably be quite easy to use.

If you are out the office a lot and need to be checking work emails ask your company to buy you one.

Any Android phone will be identical for emails. Likewise IPhones are fine too.

If you are out the office a lot and need to be checking work emails ask your company to buy you one.

Any Android phone will be identical for emails. Likewise IPhones are fine too.

The company is me, normally my office manager deals with my emails but she's leaving. I've got clients who tell me they can't believe I run a business and don't have a blackberry, then others say an iphone is what i need. And when I go to the phone shop all they seem to want to do is sell me the newest product so are not much help.

I've got some variant of an LG Viewty and checking email on it is a fucking nightmare. The only way I've been able to do it is to set up a Yahoo email account and have all my email forwarded to that. The only email the phone will connect to is Yahoo. And it still won't send emails from my Yahoo account, so all I can do is check them and any pressing reply has to be via phone/Facebook.

I have had blackberries for a few years now and they're really easy to use for emails. I would look into those but I havent tried anything else for a few years to compare.

I'd say Blackberry as it has an LED light that flashes to let you know you have an email, so you don't have to keep looking at it to see. Of course, most phones now will have a notification tone to let you know you have an email, but if you miss that tone then you'll need to look at it again to see if you have an email.

Emailing back is a doddle with the QWERTY keyboard too. However, Android and iPhone are good for having apps for on the go too. For example, I have a Trainline app on my phone so I can find when the next trains are and book tickets. Blackberry probably have that app too, but it doesn't have as wide a range of apps and many of the apps cost. If it's strictly business and you're not bothered about apps so much, go for the Blackberry. It'll give you a longer battery life too. If you are bothered about apps, go for an Android or iPhone. Both should be fine picking up email.

Also, to Pitcos, ditch the LG ASAP. They're a nightmare.

• Paid Members

I've got a Blackberry, which to be honest I'm not a big fan of, but if ALL you want is emails then it might be the easiest, cheapest option. Compared to Android/iPhones it feels outdated and a couple of generations behind, but in terms of accessing emails/facebook/twitter it's fine, and if you're replying to long emails you may find it easier to have a full keyboard rather than touchscreen. The main issue is the screen size, which is functional for text, but not great for video or web surfing, but the battery lasts quite a while, so it's about working out what's going to work best for you. If you're on contract most providers are giving them away free so it's probably worth having a play around on one to see if it feels comfortable.

• Paid Members

I really hated the Blackberry Bold that I had, but I think I was seriously misunderstanding its usage - I was on 3, which was a big mistake, as it seemed like I had to turn off the 3g usage constantly to avoid going over my tiny limits. I'm sure with a much bigger amount of megs and gigs I'd have had a better experience.

3 usually give ridiculous amounts of internet away. They do 'all you can eat' data now. The downside is shit customer service and no dedicated mast. They piggyback off of other providers' masts, which makes for a worse signal.

Blackberries compress file sizes, so they should theoretically be a lower data usage than most phones.

3 usually give ridiculous amounts of internet away. They do 'all you can eat' data now. The downside is shit customer service and no dedicated mast. They piggyback off of other providers' masts, which makes for a worse signal.

Thats not really true - I work in mobile infrastructure, and 3 have plenty of their own masts. Not as many as the other main players, and yes they do share part of ther network, but they still have plenty.

Most of the big companies are now sharing sites between them anyway (Albeit with their own kit on a shared tower)

Oh, I was always under the assumption that they had no dedicated masts. Still, if you can get signal with them you've got a great deal. But many find that isn't the case. Am I right in saying that they turned a profit for the first time in their existance last year?

I'm guessing Tesco don't have any of their own masts. They use O2's masts, don't they? They're becoming more popular now with their 12 month deals.

Archived