Times you've cried over telly or films

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

It's very rarely I cry over telly, but when I do its over something a bit odd. I remember crying when Butch off Emmerdale died. Unlike the big two, the newspapers didn't give a toss about reporting spoilers of Emmerdale. So it was a big shock when poor Butch kicked the bucket. I was about 12 at the time or something, so I had that excuse. Didnt have any excuses when Mel on Benidorm died, though. I had a lump in my throat when we found out he'd died.

There's Watership down as well, which I haven't seen since I was very young. That was terrible to watch when I was a kid. We saw it at school as well. Maybe the impact has died down somewhat, but it was torture at the time.

Whats yours?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I welled up a bit at the end of the Christmas episode of The Office, and also a couple of times in the US Office.

I tend to be a bit of a robot with telly and film tears, but the shows I really care about always have a chance of getting me if the story is good enough.

• Paid Members
That film with Frankie Muniz(?) where his best friend is a dog.

You big ponce!

Never have. Not even sure I've come close, to be honest.

• Awards Moderator

The first time I realised Gary Neville was talking sense reduced me to tears.

Other than that, the end of Planes, Trains & Automobiles gets the bottom lip quivering as does the end of Away We Go (sorry, Sev). Another one which got to me the first time I saw it was the end of Changing Lanes, when Jackson sees his wife and kids across the road.

The US Office is a good shout, too. Specifically when Jim finally asked Pam out at the end of season 3 whilst she was being interviewed in the meeting room. Her filling up and looking back at the camera choked me a bit.

I'm a right soft bastard at times.

• Paid Members

Most recent one I can recall was Up. Think it was one of those things where I had no idea going in that there were going to be any sad elements to the film whatsoever, so it just totally caught me off guard. I had legit tears in my eyes for a fucking animated film.

Channel 4's Secret Millionaire had it's touching moments too.

• Paid Members
Another one which got to me the first time I saw it was the end of Changing Lanes, when Jackson sees his wife and kids across the road.

Ooh, now, actually, this one nearly got me.

Can I just say as well what a brilliant film Changing Lanes is. I was absolutely blown away by it.

• Paid Members

I've noticed as I've gotten older I'll get a lump in the throat at nearly anything remotely sad, weird because I was cold inside as a kid/teenager. I nearly shed a single tear when Zach Gailfinakouskisog was talking to his shot monkey in Hangover 2, FFS.

So the list is embarrassingly too long to remember. One that comes to mind though is that Macho Man tribute video WWE did, I bet I wasn't the only one.

• Moderators
There's Watership down as well, which I haven't seen since I was very young. That was terrible to watch when I was a kid. We saw it at school as well. Maybe the impact has died down somewhat, but it was torture at the time.

That's the standard. Bloody cruel film to make a child sit through, is that.

I bought it for my 5 year old niece for christmas. She can fucking deal with it as well.

I cried when Barbarian and Butch Reed beat Rhodes and Windham in 1992 as well. Bastards.

• Paid Members

Shit, it'd probably be easier to list things that I didn't cry at. I'm right lachrymose, me. Last thing was the Lost finale, about 15 times in 2 hours.

Tearjerking classics for me at the end of Big Fish, and the start of Up. I can't rewatch the second one, it's too much.

Archived