WCW Jobbers

Forrest

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it is about WCW, but it always looked/felt more bigtime than the WWE. I suspect the sheer size of the roster and plethora of super jobbers might have something to do with it. You do wonder how much more successful some of those guys would have been in the modern era. Even jobbers were huge back then, as opposed to the sort of teeny guys Ryback is currently mauling.

• Paid Members

I loved WCW's jobber crew. I actually started to look forward to their matches, just to see how quick they'd lose that week.

Sonny Trout, The Gambler, Jumpin' Joey Maggs, The Italian Stallion, Pat Rose, Bob Cook, State Patrol, The Terrorist, 'Pistol' Pez Whatley. Why I remember all these guys so vividly I don't know. There's more I'm forgetting.

Sometimes they'd even get mini feuds. Frankie Lancaster got a multi week rivalry with Alex Wright one time. Started with them teaming one match and one acidentally headbutted the other in the pills and that didn't go down well.

I loved Worldwide.

I loved the shit teams that they'd just throw on screen aswell. The Colossol Kongs, The Cole Twins, The Wrecking Crew. Actually I really liked the Coles and Wrecking Crew back then.

I loved WCW's jobber crew. I actually started to look forward to their matches, just to see how quick they'd lose that week.

Sonny Trout, The Gambler, Jumpin' Joey Maggs, The Italian Stallion, Pat Rose, Bob Cook, State Patrol, The Terrorist, 'Pistol' Pez Whatley. Why I remember all these guys so vividly I don't know. There's more I'm forgetting.

Sometimes they'd even get mini feuds. Frankie Lancaster got a multi week rivalry with Alex Wright one time. Started with them teaming one match and one acidentally headbutted the other in the pills and that didn't go down well.

I loved Worldwide.

I loved the shit teams that they'd just throw on screen aswell. The Colossol Kongs, The Cole Twins, The Wrecking Crew. Actually I really liked the Coles and Wrecking Crew back then.

The masked Minnesota Wrecking Crew 2?

Wasn't that The Beverly Brothers?

• Paid Members

Nah this was just the Wrecking Crew, Rage and Fury. They were Al Green (of legendary jobber status) and Marcus Laurinaitis (brother of Animal and Johnny Ace). Think they were around 1993.

Here they are

• Moderators
Nah this was just the Wrecking Crew, Rage and Fury. They were Al Green (of legendary jobber status) and Marcus Laurinaitis (brother of Animal and Johnny Ace). Think they were around 1993.

Here they are

Another fantastic example of all WCW Youtube footage being uploaded by muscle-bear loving gay lads.

Uploaded by sportjockma on Aug 8, 2010

Watch the prettyboys battle these 2 butch heels.

They look like a decent team, surprised they never got beyond jobber status. Two butch heels and all that.

Is it wrong that I spent about an hour watching Frank Anderson matches with Swedish commentary a few months back?!

There's a clip somewhere of him signing with WCW, with Bischoff in it, which is quite interesting.

I am hugely envious of the Swedish WorldWide with it's mad rainbow studio. It was great.

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been some enterprising promoter who's organised a WCW Saturday Night/WorldWide reunion show consisting of mid carders and guys like Anderson, The Gambler and Road Block. Main evented by Scott Norton vs. Ice Train obviously. In all seriousness, there must be a market for a one-off like that.

• Paid Members
My main issue with Ice Train was that he was a near 300lb black guy making choo-choo train noises.

Are you telling me that isn't terrifying? They had him in the wrong gimmick, he should have been an ebony mentalist. Negro Norman.

I'll probably remember the name Sonny Trout long after I'be forgotten the names of my immediate family.

Next time I see you, I am giving you a big hug, saying just the words "Sonny Trout".

Marked for Trout.

• Paid Members
My main issue with Ice Train was that he was a near 300lb black guy making choo-choo train noises.

But did/do you have the same issue with the Godfather?

No, because he was dressed as a comedy pimp and surrounded by hookers. Ice Train was dressed in a singlet and looked as though he could murder you with a well directed sneeze.

Archived