1PW Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I have some very good memories from 1PW. My first BritWres show I ever attended was 1PW Second Anniversary. I attended every show after that under the Gauntley regime and can honestly say i never had a problem with them (I always paid on the door so this may be the reason why) from a fans perspective.

I was also a part of the 1PW academy (Which I know gets alot of stick on here). I enjoyed every second of my time with the academy and the various people I would meet over the years. Doug Basham being the one that sticks out the most. I was never a fan of his during his time in the Basham Brothers and JBL's Cabinet but after meeting him in person and getting chance to sit and talk to him, i have nothing but respect for the man. He is honestly one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

1PW had a terrible amount of problems and as part of the academy i had one or two issues myself but all in all I have more good memories than bad ones about 1PW.

EDIT: I remember the night of Know Your Enemy '08? being sent on an errand to find Iron Shiek batteries for his polaroid camera and also going into Doncaster with Sandman jabbering on about Rugby the whole time then disappearing down silver street smoking a joint looking for a strip club. Surreal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The original spawn of 1PW was a combination of some great matches and some long matches. Steve Corino vs Al Snow still remains the only match I have gone to sleep during. The match had been on for 20 minutes, was going nowhere and sleep took over, I woke up 30 minutes later and the fucker was still going on.

i was at that one, me and mate thought it woudl be the last one before the interval so went to the bar about 15 min.5 hours later (or so it felt) people started coming in so we thought we had missed a match or two but they said that they just kept going and going and going and going.

Fight Club at Barnsley was ok, got to chat with Jimmy Snuka while he was having a fag outside the back

Didn't they do an hour match with McGuinness and Burridge, and/or Williams and Corino?

They did a 45 minute Iron Man match between McGuinness and Burridge at the Second Year Anniversary in Oct 07.

Williams/Corino had a 2/3 falls match in Barnsley June 06 that supposedly went to the 45 minute time limit, but in reality was around 35/40 minutes from what I remember of it at the time.

Williams / Corino was advertised as an hour long match that went 40 min. everything against what 1PW stood for :)

The Muta fiasco was a blast and you could almost taste the bitter tears as 1PW fanboys cried who cares we didn't want to see The Great Muta anyway.

When they announced Muta, I honestly felt it was too good to be true. He was just a step above their typical import. Ironically I got the exact same feeling when they announced Shawn Michaels where the same result occurred.

To be fair and give balance though, they did manage to bring in Flair shortly after his spectacular retirement. That was a huge coup.

The Muta fiasco was a blast and you could almost taste the bitter tears as 1PW fanboys cried who cares we didn't want to see The Great Muta anyway.

When they announced Muta, I honestly felt it was too good to be true. He was just a step above their typical import. Ironically I got the exact same feeling when they announced Shawn Michaels where the same result occurred.

To be fair and give balance though, they did manage to bring in Flair shortly after his spectacular retirement. That was a huge coup.

Flair's appearance and interview in the ring was for me the most special thing I experienced from a 1PW show. Although you could argue he was solely going through the motions in his promo I just didn't give a fuck and neither did anyone else there! The atmosphere was electric, Flair was all about the woos, Space Mountain, his missus, stylin and profilin, limousine riding, the Fargo strut, knee drop and elbow in the centre of the ring and all the other stuff that have become staples of his persona over the years! It truly was a once in a lifetime opportunity to witness that so up close and personal and for that I was very very grateful!

I only went to one of their shows but it was great. Got to see Abyss, Bret Hart, Jerry Lynn, Cabana and Kevin Thorn. Was one of the best UK shows i've been too.

Me & my lad went to nearly all of their shows. I had to save up for weeks to afford those 2 nighters. I remember in 24 hours we ran to Frankie & Benny's to quickly sling some food down, We also got 8 hours kip in a nice hotel. That left us with 13 solid hours of live wrestling! That has to be a record? Has anyone out there seen more live action in such a small space of time?

• Paid Members

I must admit there were a few good matches spread out between the shows I went to, and the weekend of Know Your Enemy shows with a Fight Club in between threw out a lot of good stuff, and me and my mate who I went with agreed at the end of the second night that we expected we'd seen it peak. Admittedly I would have liked to see the August show with all the ROH guys still over from their visit, and Styles vs Pac, but I'm kind of glad we stopped going at that point, me suddenly having all my weekends taken up by having a mrs all of a sudden, and my mate moving to Japan. Everything I read about that followed Invincible (?) seemed underwhelming/missable in comparison, although in a weird way I would have liked to have been going when SJK was on top. I don't know why.

Has anyone out there seen more live action in such a small space of time?

Houchen to thread please.

This thread has turned into a love-fest.

Not sure that was the original intention to be fair but it appears to have gone that way. What we need right now are stories of Gauntley injecting people's hard earned cash into his cock. That should get things back on track!

Like a few others on here, I went to quite a lot of the dome shows, and I think I only paid in advance for one (the 1st Anniversary show, which reportedly sold out). I only live a few miles from the dome so it meant I could decide on the day if a show was worth going to. There were some good shows

Agreed.

This thread has turned into a love-fest. Somebody is going to do a 1PW One Night Stand now. Headlined by Great Muta vs Shawn Michaels.

Which "due to travel disruptions, food poisoning, the titanic sinking, Chad having a civil war and the price of sausage rolls going up due to tax" on the night would become SJK vs Tracey Smothers in a Ballroom Weapons match featuring a dance off and SJK spraying fake tan over Smothers

I remember it being mad. Good mad, and bad mad.

I saw a lot of things that I glad I got to see, and a lot I wish I never did. Ultimately, my personal 1PW experience ended badly and pretty much convinced me I didn't want to be involved in wrestling any more.

But I did once shout at Samoa Joe to get me a doughnut.

Archived