1PW Memories

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

With the release of the new 1PW book, I thought I'd start this thread. I'll not lie, I loved this forum during their initial run. I very rarely posted, but it was a right laugh seeing genuine fuck ups, seemingly everyday. It was hilarious. Especially Moj's regular updates of what was going wrong on that day. What balanced the 1PW hate, was the fanbase they had developed. Their forum was full of massive spanners. When it died on its arse the first time, there was a few of them wishing they would strike all six numbers on the lottery to keep the dream alive. Only second to WrestleXpress in my league table of favourite shit promotions.

Whats your favourite memories of this horrid promotion?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attended many of 1PW's shows from the early days right through to the death (x4.) What 1PW gave me were some great memories; I only ever paid in advance once and that was for the Flair show, for the most part we reserved front row and paid for the tickets on the day, a move I extolled to the many who were burnt by the promotion but as it appears from many of the people who were hurt by 1PW on here it was advice that was never taken. As I say they gave me great memories; I got to meet alot of big names from the other side of the pond and got to witness a number of classic matches that I will never get to witness that close up again. In fact 1PW are the very reason I got into Britwres in the first place, they were the first promotion I religiously followed over here so for that I must be grateful. Granted, their tenure is not without it's pitfalls and they have been well documented on these very forums over time and the way they conducted their business was not just risky but for the most part illegal. Gauntley was a cunt who didn't seem to know better, Rodd was a cunt and was much better at being a cunt than Gauntley but perversely without them I wouldn't have had some great weekends away and experiences that I still hold dear. Say what you will about 1PW, the majority is justified, but for one I still harbour a bit of gratitude towards the promotion. Those that were burnt I feel for but like I say we were always sensible when it came to ordering tickets.

Which reminds me......isn't there a small claims court case out there still doing the rounds? Or was that conveniently dropped when Khemical got banned from here?

On the subject of WrestleExpress - does somebody have the promo poster the promoter made up where he was on it with Bischoff, and I believe Sonny Ono. The theme was a struggle for power. Ryan looked like a total dick.

Come on, somebody has to have it on their hard drive!

I also LOVED 1pw during their initial run. Went to nearly all the dome shows but as their rep got worse, started reserving and paying on the door. For me, It was a weekend away with my best mate, drinking, watching wrestling, meeting wrestlers and then going into donny and usually ending up at the strippers. I was gutted when it went tits up. Actually met Gauntley and various members of his family a few times and despite everything said - they were all really nice to talk to. I offer no excuse as they really did everything wrong from a company standpoint but from a selfish standpoint, I met Bret Hart and Ric Flair thanks to 1pw bringing them over so good memories for me.

• Paid Members

I remember the 1PW fan trip to IPW:UK in Orpington better than I do the 1PW Third Anniversary show I travelled to Doncaster for...

Those first few shows at the dome were ace. Stacked full of top level TNA talent - sure they always went on for about 5 hours but you got your moneys worth. Also got to meet Aries, Low-Ki, Bret Hart, Homicide, Christian and a load more. Will never forget that insane corino bump from the balcony. Didn't go to any shows after the Muta fiasco.

• Paid Members

Getting out of A Cruel Twist Of Fate parched and starving and finding out that in Doncaster, a 24 hour Asda means 24 hours a week.

AJ's music playing by mistake after a nearfall in his match with Jarrett, killing any doubt as to who would win.

Booking Low Ki v Chris Daniels (highly anticipated by me) to become an impromptu triangle match with Elix Skipper so Skipper could get pinned and neither of the others had to be. Immediately followed by Joe vs Tanaka having a truncated match with a count-out finish.

Justin Credible not showing up, so the replacement for the legendary Impact Players in the wank-fantasy match vs Chris Daniels & AJ being the impromptu yet formidable duo of Lance Storm.... and Andy Simmons.

Christian being advertised right up until bell time for a show he was never going to appear on.

Homicide's absence forcing Ricky Reyes to get teamed up with Chad Collyer instead, and when they didnt get along, one of the most apathatic crowd reactions ever to their resultant brawl.

Ulf Herman and Abyss thinking getting set on fire or covered in drawing pins is an acceptable replacement for talent.

Bumping into Morishima and Yone in Asda. Morishima spent AGES picking which type of orange juice he wanted.

And genuinely, Team SHAG.

Well I went to many 1PW shows (about 8 I think) and have some fantastic memories.

I never lost any money from 1PW and even made money off them when I won 4 tickets to a show I couldn't go to and sold 3 of the tickets and gave 1 away.

Forgetting all the behind the scenes nonsense and the idiotic fans that made up a large portion of their crowds, had a great time at most their shows I went to.

Archived