WWE Smackdown - *Spoilers* For 5/4/2012

ThePhenom

Here are the spoilers for this week's Smackdown:

Lilian introduced World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus, who cut a brief promo to start the show. Sheamus said he loves to fight (a promo straight out of Finlay's playbook) so when Daniel Bryan asked for a rematch he simply answered "YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!" [Cue loud "YES!" chants from the Toledo crowd.] Out came Daniel Bryan. Sheamus continued "YESing" through Bryan's entrance. Doesn't look like we're getting the main event that was advertised last night.

Sheamus and Daniel Bryan fought to an apparent no-contest. Alberto Del Rio and Ricardo Rodriguez interfered to cause the finish. Ricardo hit a (from my vantage-point) picture-perfect cross body on Sheamus followed by a kick from ADR. Bryan then locked Sheamus in the Yes! Lock before being pulled off by Scott Armstrong and Chad Patton. Daniel Bryan then argued with ADR and Rich Rod, almost coming to blows.

Backstage, the WWE medical staff evaluated Sheamus.

WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston and R-Truth defeated Hunico and Canacho. Primo, Epico and Rosa (accompanied by AW) were out before the bell to watch the match. They "scouted" from chairs that were set up on the ramp.

Brodus Clay defeated Jack Swagger (w/Dolph Ziggler and Vickie Guerrero) via DQ when Ziggler interfered. Ziggler took what looked like a hellacious bump from Brodus's running headbutt on the outside apron by the announce table. Dolph, again, sells like a champ. I'm interested to see how that looks on TV. Clay cleared the ring of Ziggler/Swagger following the interference and danced w/five kids in the ring (JYD-style) after the match. Nice touch.

The advertised main event for the night was now Randy Orton and Big Show vs. Kane and Cody Rhodes.

The same Extreme Rules video package from last night was shown, modified slightly to include the final segment from last night's Raw with John Cena and John Laurinaitis.

Eve was involved in a backstage segment with Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio. Nothing notable here.

Damien Sandow was shown walking down the hallway while piano music played in the background. He debuts next. [EDIT: Maybe not.]

Derrick Bateman got a jobber entrance.

Sandow entered to Leonard Cohen's classical music piece "Hallelujah." Funny stuff. He responded to a "WHAT?" crowd chant with "Thank you for your irrelevant contribution." He said he wouldn't indulge the WWE Universe or Bateman (whom he called a "miscreant") with a match. Sandow left. "You're welcome." Bateman demanded an opponent nonetheless. He got one...it was Ryback.

Ryback defeated Derrick Bateman in a total squash.

Randy Orton and Big Show defeated Kane and U.S. Champion Cody Rhodes.

Backstage, Matt Striker caught up with Sheamus, who sported a heavily-taped shoulder and said he "came here to fight." Striker concluded that it looks like they'll have their match after all.

Vickie Guerrero re-emerged with Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler. Swagger demanded a rematch from Clay, saying nobody could beat him twice in one night. Looks like they're re-taping this one.

Brodus Clay defeated Jack Swagger via countout. Much shorter match than the first. Ziggler's bump in this match was less impactful, taking a forearm from big Brodus. No kids into the ring to dance post-match this time. Expect a lot of post-production if this version of the match is used. The crowd was understandably bored seeing this the second time around.

Natalya came out for the jobber entrance.

WWE Divas Champion Layla defeated Natalya. Layla won in less than a couple of minutes.

Backstage, Eve directed the publicity photo shoot for Antonio Cesaro and Aksana and said something was missing. She said Cesaro looked too "dry" and asked for him to be oiled up. She told a staffer lady not to do it, instead demanding that Teddy apply the oil. He resisted at first, but after being told by Eve that he hadn't done anything all day, he gave in and rubbed down Cesaro. I'm disappointed I didn't get to see the former Claudio Castagnoli in action.

After the break, Kaitlyn told AJ she needed to stop having a pity party for herself. AJ delivered a hard slap to Kaitlyn that floored her.

Ricardo Rodriguez introduced Alberto Del Rio from the stage; ADR drove out in a fancy car. He is sitting in on commentary for the main event.

Sheamus defeated Daniel Bryan to retain the World Hvt. Championship. Sheamus threw Bryan into ADR, knocking him through the ropes. While Sheamus was distracted by ADR and Rich Rod trying to regain their composure, Bryan snuck up to the top rope. He leapt into a Brogue kick and Sheamus covered him for the victory.

This doesn't look too good to me, just standard Smackdown stuff. The Eve/Aksana/Long/Antonio stuff sounds cringe-worthy.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They'll probably do the "what a shite Jeff Buckley cover" line though. Anyway, they missed a trick not picking either Take This Waltz or Dance Me To The End Of Love as his theme song, both would make fantastic entrance themes for a pretentious heel.

Bryan lost, maybe he's winning the title then.

Doesn't look a great show at all. Looks a bit thrown together.

Surely Abraham Washington would be better suited to managing O'Neil and Young rather than the Colon cousins? I don't mind Primo and Epico but a fued with Kingston/Truth and O'Neil/Young could be decent.

Sheamus vs. Del Rio does nothing for me. Can't see that being entertaining at all.

Not sure what to thing about Damien Sandow either, the gimmick seems boring and I'm not sure what he's like in the ring.

I'd get Antonio Cesaro promoted to top heel on SmackDown as soon as possible.

Doesnt look a great show this week, has anything been mentioned about Alberto's supposed title match he was granted.

Potential for some decent tag team stuff for the first time in ages with Kofi/Truth, Primo/Epico, Hunico/Canacho, Usos and oneil/young, knowing WWE they will find a way to screw it up as usual but we will see where it goes.

Is this going to be Brodus Clays first proper feud with Ziggler/Swagger they really have to do something with him soon.

If the next PPV wasnt on skysports I cant say Id be to bothered reading that report.

They'll probably do the "what a shite Jeff Buckley cover" line though. Anyway, they missed a trick not picking either Take This Waltz or Dance Me To The End Of Love as his theme song, both would make fantastic entrance themes for a pretentious heel.

Bryan lost, maybe he's winning the title then.

its not that Hallelujah. the spoiler guy got it wrong. Its the classical music Hallelujah. Anyway, I really enjoyed Damien Sandow, he was quite good, and then Ryback came out with added explosions! Poor Derrick Bateman, his problem was that he didn't have Kaitlyn to cheer him on. Luckily when Goldberg shows up on NXT, Bateman will be first in line having experienced Rybacks brand on pain.

The Tag Team stuff was good too. Even though they were thrown together Kofi and R-Truth are pretty good!

Decent show, still can't say i'm enthralled by the potential of a Sheamus vs Alberto Del Rio feud, but i'm sure the matches will be decent.

• Paid Members

I love the way Sandow holds the microphone. What a classy guy.

I love Ryback's squashes more though. I hope they never do anything else with him to be honest. Feeding him ajobber a week (two or three for special occasions) for the next year would keep me right entertained. I'd probably by the DVD.

• Paid Members
How long do you think it will be until Brodus gets busted with something paedo related? He's a wrestler, this isn't going to end well.

What makes you think he's a Paedophile? Seems a bit unnecessary if you don't have any basis for such an allegation.

Doesn't look a great show at all. Looks a bit thrown together.

Surely Abraham Washington would be better suited to managing O'Neil and Young rather than the Colon cousins? I don't mind Primo and Epico but a fued with Kingston/Truth and O'Neil/Young could be decent.

They'd have plenty of dark matches.

I love the way Sandow holds the microphone. What a classy guy.

I noticed this, too. Like he's holding a glass of brandy.

Smackdown desperately needs Damien Sandow; on this show the camera showed someone holding a sign misspelling 'arse' as 'ars' and Booker T honestly didn't know what 'miscreant' meant and also called Ryback's finisher "the coup d'

Archived