Bedtime

Dan Williams

Well, After a discussion today I want to find out if I really am strange. Last night before I got into bed I put a couple of ice packs in there to really chill it as I prefer a cold bed, but everyone I have spoken to about it today thinks I'm odd and they all prefer warm beds so, is it really that weird to prefer a cold bed?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not weird. Whilst I don't put ice packs in my bed, I do prefer a cool bed to a warm/hot one. Summer time is a nightmare for me and I pretty much have two fans running all night just to keep me cool. I find a warm bed quite claustrophobic and uncomfortable. Another problem I have is I can't sleep without covers over me, and even a sheet is too thin. I like the comfort of a duvet, but hate the warmth from it.

I love to get into a cold bed, but I love when it gets warm after, not too warm though obviously. I always seem to wake up in the middle of the night and I love it when its warm and it never seems to get too warm or anything.

I'm a duvet man myself, but I enjoy a good hotel with sheets too.

• Moderators

At the risk of Steve Justicing myself by outing something everyone thinks is weird, I haven't slept in a bed for about 5 years. I'm not a tramp; I've had terrible back problems, but sleeping on the floor completely fixed it. When I slept in a bed, I couldn't even sit on the floor for longer than 30 seconds, and even chairs I weren't used to were killer. Now, I'm a-okay.

Ice packs seems insane though.

At the risk of Steve Justicing myself by outing something everyone thinks is weird, I haven't slept in a bed for about 5 years. I'm not a tramp; I've had terrible back problems, but sleeping on the floor completely fixed it. When I slept in a bed, I couldn't even sit on the floor for longer than 30 seconds, and even chairs I weren't used to were killer. Now, I'm a-okay.

There was a reason for the sofa comment I made. Bed? pah.. been way better sleeping on the sofa in terms of back issues.. You arent odd

• Paid Members

Why not just dump the mattress and put some wood across the bedframe?

I slept in a ridiculously firm bed at the weekend, and it surprised me just how comfortable I was and how well I slept.

I suggest a wooden slatted bed frame and a really hard mattress. I can't abide a soft bed, but sleeping on the floor is for cowboys and drunks.

Archived