Great sporting babyface turns

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Shane Warne- general fat hated tosser to being sung "we wish you were english "at his last ashes apperance over here

Warney's brilliant commentary stints for Sky Sports over here have completed his turn. He was a revelation. I hope he turns up this summer, too.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Bellamy is kind of turning into a hand slapping fan favourite. Maybe that has to do with being in a team that make him seem like a decent bloke. I started liking Bellamy when he cut that promo on super heel, JT, a couple of year ago.

• Paid Members

Whoever said Lance Armstrong nearly got it right. He turned face with the French in the Tour he came 3rd in to Contador. Before that he was the hated mega heel to them, cancer and all. It was not until he lost a Tour that they could love him, very much like Eddy Merckx in the 70s in that regard.

• Paid Members
Could Paulo Di Canio be worth a shout? Hated by many after pushing that referee over, he then turned face during the Everton - West Ham game, by catching the ball when the Everton goalkeeper went down injured instead of scoring an open goal!

The guy's a self-declared, rabid fascist. Think it'll take a bit more than a bit of sportsmanship to turn face.

• Paid Members

Rangers' Walter Smith and Ally McCoist carrying Tommy Burn's coffin at his funeral. Even Celtic fans must have a grudging respect for them now. If I recall correctly, wasn't McCoist in tears?

• Paid Members

Would Tito Ortiz count? I wouldn't class myself as a proper hardcore MMA fan, but he uesd to be well hated didn't he (vs Liddell and Shamrock IIRC). He seems to be well liked nowadays, or at least moreso then before.

Is it related to retirement? In alot of cases once the heel either cuts back on apperances due to older age and reduction on performance/results, or retires outright, they seem to become more accepted.

I guess fans realise that they will miss them, when they are gone.

• Paid Members
Rangers' Walter Smith and Ally McCoist carrying Tommy Burn's coffin at his funeral. Even Celtic fans must have a grudging respect for them now. If I recall correctly, wasn't McCoist in tears?

The Old Firm doesn't count in this thread. They're the Mark Henry of the sports world. Most things you can admire about them are offset whenever they actually play each other.

I was going to use Show for this comparison before NEWM buggered it :sneaky:

The Beckham example mentioned earlier as a great one. They were burning effigies of him after the 1998 World Cup, weren't they? The turnaround in public opinion towards him from petulant, arrogant, narcissistic, skirt-wearing nancy boy who opposition fans loved to hate into family man, model professional, all-round nice guy and handsome devil is the single greatest marketing achievement of 'Brand Beckham'.

Alan Pardew as the sleezy manager who took over from Mr Nice and Fan Favourite Chris Houghton to now being considered as one of the best English managers around right now who has his team play great football.

I can see how a Newcastle fan would have this down as a face turn - he certainly seems to have caused a great turnaround in fan approval since taking over - but surely it's not just Sunderland fans who still see the man as an insufferable cunt, great season or not.

Pardew.jpg

Smell the Rohypnol.

Whoever said Lance Armstrong nearly got it right. He turned face with the French in the Tour he came 3rd in to Contador. Before that he was the hated mega heel to them, cancer and all. It was not until he lost a Tour that they could love him, very much like Eddy Merckx in the 70s in that regard.

Likewise, you could argue that Michael Schumacher made a pretty good face turn when he made his comeback in 2010. Thanks to a break from Formula 1 for a few years, he went from the super dominant, hated-by-everyone German racing driver to the seven time world champion who it turns out is quite nice, mellowed a bit in retirement and is enjoying racing these days even though he's not winning.

From what I've heard, he's a much nicer person in the paddock these days and even people who didn't like him in the past want to see him doing well again now. For me, that's a good face turn, especially since he's still got the potential to be a nasty bastard on occasion.

Owen Hargreaves is a good shout.

HATED by the English press and fans prior to the 2006 World Cup. The press hated him for playing in Germany and never really living in England.

I seem to remember (I could be wrong) a rather poor reception to him coming on as a sub in the first game. This followed with some good performances and he won the fans over with his performance in the game against Portugal. He was the only Englishman to score in the penalty shootout as well.

Much rumored move to Man U after World Cup, broke his leg and then finally moved a year later.

Still seems to be well liked despite always being injured and never playing.

27 appearances for Man U in 4 years (17m transfer)

Just 4 (1 League) appearances for Man City.

Geoffrey Boycott? Unpopular both with his teammates and journalists in the 70s and 80s, plus that thing about smacking his wife about, now loveable English gent revered for his dry Yorkshire temperament.

Dunno about that, there are still swathes of people who completely misunderstand him as a pundit and voice on cricket. He is outstanding, though.

Still a bit of a bellend though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/mar/2...ardy-depression

Archived