IPW:UK Extreme Measures 2012, June 3rd, Sittingbourne

Andy

I got the same impression about Dupree's no selling the strikes as Coby, I thought Rene was playing up the fact that he was a monster who the much smaller Terry was struggling to hurt as part of the story rather than doing it to make Terry look bad. But I could be wrong.

If Marty is facing Sha (please no run ins this time) in August then add another vote for Zack vs Gargano and Finlay vs Mastiff. :thumbsup:

Although Hooligans / Ego vs LDRS would also be fine by me too.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scurll vs Tozawa was great and I hope TysonSL's reaction to Mastiff being eliminated with the realization that a Scurll/Tozawa finale was about to happen is caught on camera. You couldn't keep the smile off his face. I did want a lot more to it.... It felt like they only had 4-5 minutes if that and then it was over.

I was absolutely buzzing at the thought of a Tazawa/Scurll singles rematch but it seemed it wasn't to be.

The second half really seemed rushed. It was almost like people were trying to get it wrapped up in time to cheer Ricky Martin on in The Apprentice!

Anyway, the first half, as everyone else has said, was fantastic. I thought the Stixx vs Deano match well surpassed their Dragon Gate UK match, which I'm a big fan of anyway. The tag match was thoroughly enjoyable and I'd like to see a rematch on the next show since Marty will be busy with Sha. Which leaves Zack Sabre Jr free to take on the DGUSA champ...

You can add me to the list of people that didn't like the Dupree no selling. You couldn't even use the term "phoning it in" with that performance. He was acting as if Terry wasnt even there such was his no selling.

I would alos like to add my name to the list about the run-ins. I was saying to Old David, Tom and a few others that I think the last 6-7 IPW:UK shows I've been to has had the same endings, a run in. It's got really tiresome now. Wouldn't it be nice just for a change to see a heel win without cheating and just win the match with a clean pin?

The hooligans are not my cup of tea at all, but I can see why people like them. When they walked out I did immediately think of The Bushwhackers. Although I'm in no rish to see The Holligans again, if they must return then how about The Hooligans Vs Team Shag? It may even make a grumpy old git like me laugh.

Marty goes from strength to strength, but I think he is getting too much now. There is always a danger of building a promotion around one or two people (the way it seems to me) that if that person(s) gets an injury or goes stateside then when they are gone it's a big hole to fill.

IPW:UK are in a very strong position owing to years of hard work that they have such an powerful roster you don't need to have the same faces at each show. If Marty didnt do the next show, he would be missed, but the product is still strong. I didn't and I never heard anyone say I missed Zack Sabre Jnr, or Martin Stone tonight.

IMO it would be better to build up a few more people and give them the belts (Marty is holding too many) and then you have the option of switching and rotating the talent so they aren't on every show, the fans get more variety and get a chance to see a few more new people who they haven't seen before. It keeps the shows looking fresh and different.

Lastly before I sign off. The Anniversary shows weekender. I understand the reasons why it pays both financially and logistically to have the same talent on both shows, but I would prefer where possible for it not to happen. If you are flying in Jerry Lynn then sure have Jerry Lynn vs XXX Saturday and then Jerry Lynn Vs XXX on Sunday. However if it's ta match with talent that you could relatively easily get for any other shows then just book them for one show. For example Saturday Mastiff Vs Stixx and then Sunday Mastiff vs T-Bone. As it's an anniversary weekender it would be good if possible to bring back some IPW:UK Alumni for the weekend. So perhaps Project Ego Vs The Iron Lions (Andy Boy Simmonz & James Tighe, assuming James still wrestles) or The Lion Kid Vs Paul Robinson and so forth. As it's a weekender so a double show (assuming you're not doing a triple threat adding an afternoon show as well) you have the time to use some Aumni in the shows.

My thoughts on the show echo what most people have already said really...the first half was a blinder! Certainly one of the BEST first halves of a show I've seen at IPW and that says EVERYTHING!

Allmark and Styxx was one of those matches that although is perfectly fine on paper it didn't really get me excited. I was present for their Dark Match at the inaugural DG:UK show so knew what to expect to some extent. I'm happy to report that the match exceeded my expectations and the match from DG:UK! Absolute blinder and both men really set the tone for the first half!

Mastiff and T-Bone up next and whilst not on a level with the opener was still decent fayre and as people have already mentioned T-Bone is certainly improving all the time as a character and competitor.

The Tag Match was fucking awesome! Being a longtime Project Ego fan I knew what to expect from them but what I didn't know was just what the Hooligan gimmick was or how good they were as a team! I'd seen Zebra Kid before but never Zak so this was another match where my expectation level was a little on the down side. Oh boy was that exceeded once again! Great stuff. The Hooligans were a riot, pardon the pun, and great credit to Ego as they took a right pasting from the Knights. Excellent stuff all round. Slightly surprised to see PE lose but then again it doesn't damage them in the slightest. They're over and should be set to capture the titles with Trav's MITB briefcase. Possibly after just after The Hooligans have defeated the Leaders thus setting up an Ego and Hooligan program going into 2013.

Spud and Marty was a great little match. Maybe my expectation level was set a little higher for this one as I felt it came up short in what it promised over the past few months of build but the feud is still in it's infancy and has much more mileage to travel. I was very impressed that Spud shelved any pussy heel tactics from the get go and was right at Marty building all that hatred up!...by the way Snog, Marry and Avoid pisses all over Take Me Out in my opinion!

Tozawa and Haskins was another great contest. Tozawa is just amazing and Haskins somehow continues to improve eachtime I see him. I loved his vault over the rope onto the apron and flying kick into Tozawa's face. Shame it didn't seem to get much of a pop but it certainly did from me! The right man won though and although the match did pale slightly when compared to PCW's main event from the night before between Tozawa and Ligero it did still round off a very enjoyable and excellent first half!

After the interval we got going with Dupree and Terry Fraizer and unfortunately it fell flat. Dupree has some good powermoves and as stated earlier he battered Terry for the most part. I did notice that his strikes and kicks were having little to no effect on the import and Rene was quick to pop back up again and chap the fuck out of Terry's chest. The ending didn't sit right with me either. Rene was twice the size of Terry and yet still fell foul to a weak looking Rock Bottom. It just seemed so unrealistic.

Sha Samuels has never been a favourite of mine and his title run hasn't done anything to change my opinion I'm afraid. This match only served to reinforce how poor IPW's 'World Title' division seems to be at the moment. It was OK for what it was but the intensity and passion was lacking from both wrestlers. Plus, Sha doesn't look right at all as a heel without his fuzzy face. IMO the sooner he drops the belt and IPW can build up 3 0r 4 credible contenders for the strap the better.

....and finally the Main Event. On paper it was a stormer. That expectation level peeked again only for things to once again fall a tad short. Styxx and Mastiff were eliminated fairly swiftly which wouldn't have been so bad if Marty and Tozawa went on to have a 15/20 minute barnstormer afterwards but alas they had about 5 minutes and it all seemed to end rather abruptly. I commented afterwards that it seemed as if the opening match went longer than the main event which was a shame. For me it rounded off a frustrating second half of the show in very frustrating fashion.

After a 500 mile round drive on Sunday I can safely say that I had a frustratingly good time! Frustrating only because of the second half of the show and in most part due to the high expectation level IPW have planted in me. A wonderful first half overshadows the second half though and the event will still be fondly remembered in my mind for a longtime to come. See you in August IPW!

• Paid Members

My First IPW show, and it was worth the trip!

Kicked off with Stixx/Xtreme Dean, which was a cracking return match from DG:UK and the Piledriver finish was "SICK". Deano is a great talent, but great to see Stixx going through on this one. Also Has Stixx gotten a bit more "lean" (is that the correct wording?) recently? He'd Looked like he lost a bit of overall size, but was still fairly huge! More Stixx Please IPW!

Mastiff/T-Bone was a decent scrap, first time i've seen T-bone and i was fairly impressed. Mastiff was great as per usual, and hit a sick looking German suplex into the turn buckle, followed by a crazy cannonball run into the same corner on poor T-bone. Mastiff picked up the win and rightly so!

Project Ego Vs Hooligans, now i'm a bit in 2 minds about this match. Dont get me wrong is was fun, and there were a lot of sick looking moves, although as a match it just didnt play out as well for me personally. Again thats just my thoughts, but still a great atmosphere for sure in this one. Also, the younger of the Knight lads.........he's got one hell of a drop kick on him hasnt he? Zebra looked happy as hell to be there, and its the first time i've seen him since FWA british uprising 3! Hooligans picked up the win......so does that make them number one contenders now? I thought i'd read that match for the contendership, although it wasnt announced during the event.

Spud/Marty was a decent little scrap, I'd been keeping up with the fued via the UKFF/IPW website, and looked forward to the match. Everything was in tone with the fued , although i thought the finish was a little bit flat, then again this fued could/will go on for some more time, so we should still have time for a huge blow out match! Good to see Marty get the belt back.

Tozawa/Haskins: This was a great match, and for me the match I spent 3 1/2 hours driving to see. To be honest the length of the match was a bit disapointing although everybody involved gave 100% and it showed! Tozawa picked up the win with the straight jacket german (which when hitting i heard a large "CRACK" noise, which i presume came from the boards in the ring, although I thought Haskins had broken something!).

Fraizer and Rene Dupree was a strange match, I'd read on here about Dupree no selling stuff, but to be honest Dupree is like 10 times the size of Fraizer, so i'm not suprised. Im in two mind about Terry. He's a decent talent and everything, but as many have mentioned.........very small size wise. For this I personally would of had either Dupree take the win, or Sha hit a run in or something (if they are still fueding). Fraizer took the win with a rock bottom type move, in what was a "Disapointing" match for me.

Sha Vs Magnus was up next, and it was a nice little match up, although as a few people had mentioned, I personally dont buy Sha as a credible champion. Not 100% why, ,maybe its because he looks a bit like my uncle......or because he's dropped the beard, then again I randomly had it the Magnus might take the belt, due to him being over here a fair ammount in the future. Sadly T-bone hit the ring to save Sha, and he keeps the title via DQ. Not to be a party killer, but whilst i am interested to see the outcome of the royal rewards title match, I personally would like to see the belt on somebody other than Sha or Fraizer.

Main Event 4 way (Stixx/Mastiff/Tozawa/Marty) was a decent night closer, and as expected it was a quick little scrap to finish things off. Stixx went down to Mastiff, only for Stixx to return the favour and help eliminate Mastiff. We then had a cracking little 1 on 1 with Marty and Tozawa. Marty took the fall, and is now heading into Augusts show (which is on my birthday!), which would lead me to think the Sha will retain in his upcoming title defence. Can Marty take all of the titles in IPW:UK? Only time will tell, although this could lead to one hell of a fued between LDRS in the future!

So overally, worth the travel, a great show, and depending on Travel and stuff, I should be back down for either the August show or The weekender in October!

• Paid Members

Just had a thought, With The Hooligans as potential contenders now and the next match up at "Royal Rewards" (Haskins/Lion kid in a "winner picks a partner", tag team contenders match) does that mean we may see either:

LDRS Vs Hooligans Vs Haskins or Lion Kid + Partner

OR

LDRS Vs Hooligans Vs Haskins or Kid + Partner Vs Project EGO ?

Hooligans for Tag champs for me personally!

Just incase anybody missed them, full official results are up on the website now:

http://www.ipwuk.com/results/2012/06/03/ip...e-measures-2012

And furthermore, as mentioned by Andy at the event, tickets to August 26th's Sittingbourne return are also on sale, you can find them here:

http://www.ipwuk.com/sittingbourne/home

- Next up we're in Swanley on June 23rd for Royale Rewards, featuring the main event in my signature. Tickets to this, available here:

http://www.ipwuk.com/swanley/home

AAAAND DVDs of Revolution begun shipping today!

Archived