NHS - time to be scrapped?

martinQblank

Change your GP if you arent happy with their service. I did - im now guaranteed an appointment within 48 hours of calling, and if my daughter gets sick she gets seen straight away.

The NHS is an amazing system - and your complaint seems to be that the multitude of different opportunities for assistance dont exactly suit you. Theres the NHS online service, NHS direct (and if you use the online service & symptom checker you can organise a call back so it doesnt cost you anything)

You could get a taxi to the walk in centre - or get a friend to give you a lift maybe??

The NHS is an amazing system, its not perfect and for some things you do have to wait for treatment. But it saves lives. YOu dont get ambulances going to the hospital via an ATM becasue you dont have ambulance insurance. You dont have doctors stopping treatment because its not covered or you dont have the excess.

If your foot hurts so bad you can't drive then go to A&E & get an xray. You could have broken it. If its an ingrown toenail or something then go to see an NHS chiropodist or podiatrist.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rang to go to go to he doctors for the first time in about 7 years today. I injured my foot last week and was advised by the hospital to seek GP advice if no better after a week. Rang through to some surly woman who advised that first appointment would be 15th May!

So my optins would be to go to A&E - which i wont do as im not wasting their time when its not an emergancy, or speak to an untrained muppet on NHS direct who will waste my time for 30 mins plus costing me a fortune as its 0800 number only. Only to be told they dont have a clue.

Its all very frustrating. Whilst i certainly dont expect a doctors apt right there & then - over two week wai is an abssolute disgrace - how can people be sick to order like that. If i do make it to the walk in centre its 45 mins away, more on pubkic transport as i cannot drive due to my injury!!

Perhaps its time to switch to the american system- i pay out an average of

I'm with Martin on this. Fuck using taxes for healthcare. If Back Alley Salley can't afford insurance or medical bills, let her push out her dolebaby outside the off-license with a Muslamic Ray Gun or a balding alcoholic as a makeshift midwife. The only free medical treatment should be sterilisation. Also, the dole should be scrapped for all but genuine handicapped (they'd get free hospital as well), and the money saved should be spent on photographers to stalk claimants and wait for any signs of their legs not really being bad. I am a fascist, like.

Yes, let's scrap one of the most cost-efficient, high quality healthcare systems in the world and replace it with one of the worst.

There aren't enough facepalm pictures on the internet to convey how dumb you are.

• Moderators
Rang to go to go to he doctors for the first time in about 7 years today. I injured my foot last week and was advised by the hospital to seek GP advice if no better after a week. Rang through to some surly woman who advised that first appointment would be 15th May!

So my optins would be to go to A&E - which i wont do as im not wasting their time when its not an emergancy, or speak to an untrained muppet on NHS direct who will waste my time for 30 mins plus costing me a fortune as its 0800 number only. Only to be told they dont have a clue.

Its all very frustrating. Whilst i certainly dont expect a doctors apt right there & then - over two week wai is an abssolute disgrace - how can people be sick to order like that. If i do make it to the walk in centre its 45 mins away, more on pubkic transport as i cannot drive due to my injury!!

Perhaps its time to switch to the american system- i pay out an average of

Hang on - the protests and complaints over the NHS Bill was huge, it was all over the news for months, the Lords sent it back twice, you had campaigns like 38 Degrees being very public. It was the most controversial bill in recent memory. In the end it got whipped through, but it was a close thing.

• Paid Members

The public are MartinQBlank - it's ridiculous how many complaints I've heard over the years because their waiting time was long, or their doctor was dismissive of their shite. My paternal grandparents were not wealthy people, and in the USA they'd have probably died younger just out of worry about bills and insurance. In the UK, they were kept alive by the NHS for a lot longer than they would have been, and they STILL found time to whine about it.

I've been to plenty of US doctors, hospitals and clinics, both for myself and to help out my elderly grandfather-in-law. Let me tell you, the service is shite compared to the NHS. The nurses are actually ruder, the facilities are somehow shittier, and despite his double health insurance, which is seemingly airtight, he still keeps getting bills. He gets basically a slightly worse version of NHS service, and pays insurance and overages for the privilege.

And yet I've heard plenty of "get rid of the NHS!" bollocks from people over the years. They are wrong, simple as that. They don't even have the excuse that yanks who are opposed have, stupid though it is. We know that the NHS doesn't cause communism, and that doctors still make a large whack of money. The only ones who seem to lose out are the big pharma companies, and they can fuck fucking off. I'd kill them all if I had a chance.

• Paid Members
Hang on - the protests and complaints over the NHS Bill was huge, it was all over the news for months, the Lords sent it back twice, you had campaigns like 38 Degrees being very public. It was the most controversial bill in recent memory. In the end it got whipped through, but it was a close thing.

You think? Given the effect it'll have on all of us I was hoping for protests akin to those against the Poll Tax. There were some demonstrations in London but they happened on the same day Muamba collapsed so didn't get on the news.

I've been re-reading Martin's thread on internet dating, and have concluded that, after the terrible experiences he's encountered with that girl, it might be fairer all round and more efficient for everyone if we just adopted something closer to the Indian model of marriage and sexual relationships.

Archived