NHS - time to be scrapped?

martinQblank

Rang to go to go to he doctors for the first time in about 7 years today. I injured my foot last week and was advised by the hospital to seek GP advice if no better after a week. Rang through to some surly woman who advised that first appointment would be 15th May!

So my optins would be to go to A&E - which i wont do as im not wasting their time when its not an emergancy, or speak to an untrained muppet on NHS direct who will waste my time for 30 mins plus costing me a fortune as its 0800 number only. Only to be told they dont have a clue.

Its all very frustrating. Whilst i certainly dont expect a doctors apt right there & then - over two week wai is an abssolute disgrace - how can people be sick to order like that. If i do make it to the walk in centre its 45 mins away, more on pubkic transport as i cannot drive due to my injury!!

Perhaps its time to switch to the american system- i pay out an average of

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me get this straight. You've got a poorly foot which isn't getting better immediately, and when you can't get an appointment within a fortnight, your solution is to scrap the entire healthcare system? Just go private yourself if it's that much trouble - or change doctors?

Time to switch to the American system because you can't get an appointment? Great. What about the thousands of other people who won't be able to get an appointment because they can't afford the grotesque health insurance premiums?

Fuck me.

You are ridiculous.

Indeed.

I'm the first to agree that the NHS isn't a perfect system, but it's the fairest. And thanks to the new Health and Social Care Bill, the hand is on the chain waiting to flush it down the toilet.

On a more practical note, the way most GP appointment systems work is an acute surgery and a chronic surgery. Acute appointments are generally released around 0800 each morning (perhaps earlier if the practice has an automated telephone booking system), whereas chronic appointments can be booked in advance. I'd suggest you either try again in the morning, or use a walk-in centre/out of hours service.

If you ring NHS direct, they'll tell you to go to a hospital so that you can be seen in either A+E or a badger clinic, where they'll book you an appointment, and you'll be seen as if you were going to a GP. It's probably your best option. The GPs there tend to be of higher quality too.

Personally my NHS experience has been brilliant. They've saved my life, improved the quality of my life on multiple occasions, and it's all been smooth sailing.

Having been in Melbourne for the last 6 months, I can tell you that most Brits here MISS the NHS, you don't know what you've got until its gone.

• Paid Members
Personally my NHS experience has been brilliant. They've saved my life, improved the quality of my life on multiple occasions, and it's all been smooth sailing.

Me too

I can't see why anyone would knowingly want to go down the American route? The OP's experience of dealing with insurance companies & getting them to pay out must be far more pleasant than my own.

Rang to go to go to he doctors for the first time in about 7 years today. I injured my foot last week and was advised by the hospital to seek GP advice if no better after a week. Rang through to some surly woman who advised that first appointment would be 15th May!

So my optins would be to go to A&E - which i wont do as im not wasting their time when its not an emergancy, or speak to an untrained muppet on NHS direct who will waste my time for 30 mins plus costing me a fortune as its 0800 number only. Only to be told they dont have a clue.

Its all very frustrating. Whilst i certainly dont expect a doctors apt right there & then - over two week wai is an abssolute disgrace - how can people be sick to order like that. If i do make it to the walk in centre its 45 mins away, more on pubkic transport as i cannot drive due to my injury!!

Perhaps its time to switch to the american system- i pay out an average of

If it's neither an accident (which 'injury' falls into) or emergency then I don't see why you have such a problem with waiting. Anyway, they aren't your only options; go the local walk-in centre or ring the GPs surgery each morning to ask about cancellations/unfilled emergency appointment slots.

Though, as it's an injury (see; accident) I'd wager you're one of those who doesn't want to wait hours in A + E, and wants an IMMEDIATE GP appointment you can walk straight into.

The NHS whilst not perfect, is one of the best things about this country. Long may it continue. I think scrapping it and going to an American style system would be a huge backwards step.

Also, I echo everyone else's comments about the OP, get a grip.

Archived