Ryback

PSF

• Paid Members
In terms of Goldberg's success in WCW, I think it was a complete fluke. They could've lumbered him with a horrible gimmick (as they did with so many other capable wrestlers at the time), and he did hate pretty much everythiing about the character he was portraying, but it just worked.

Well, every wrestler is a complete fluke then. For Goldberg to succeed in the piranha tank that was World Championship Wrestling was a miracle. People loved the guy. On the surface, "man who says nothing but beats Van Hammer a few times a month" is a rotten gimmick.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is kind of a petty point, but he genuinely needs to sort that gear out before anything else. I know a bunch of people running round in black trunks and boots or kickpads or whatever like they're uniform can get tedious but those airbrushed singlets just look daft on him. I don't think i've been that fussed about ring gear putting me off enjoying someone since that guy with the tramp stamp and his mate were on Smackdown in a load of godless looking pleather kecks.

I want to take this guy seriously as a fucking menace, but those low budget sci fi cozzies are taking something out of it.

I didn't say that he didn't have the entire package. Just that they had the right guy and, even as Goldberg, they could've messed it up horribly. I was living in Canada during his initial reign and watching him squash wrestlers became an interesting sideshow to Nitros otherwised packed with great matches and depressing angles. Then the fans shouted a little bit louder and management took notice. Then they shouted even louder and me and my friends started pooling together to buy WCW pay per views.

Point: Watching him gradually beat people, which I'm not sure if it was their intention or not, made me go from casually watching Nitro to purchasing almost every pay per view in 1998 with friends at the age of 9. I was broke and stingy and tended to watch other PPVs via VHS from friends or at bars with my father, etc. If they did anything else with him, I probably wouldn't have bothered. And this is why I said his getting over was a "fluke" (I think I used the wrong word there, and this post is just trying to better explain my point).

EDIT: This was a generalised follow-up to my initial post because I think calling Goldberg a fluke was unwarrented. I just find it astounding he lasted as long as he did with the various egos backstage. They did, however, eventually manage to screw it up fantastically.

Yeah I reckon a straight black singlet would look better than the current designs which look similar to the artwork on the waltzers or something.

I'm interested to see Ryback's ring work with the main roster, hopefully he'll start facing a higher level of talent on house shows as a testing ground, feeding him the jobbers must be with the intention of building his profile, but is he worth it? I've not really seen much of his previous work.

Ive said it few few times that big guys should wear singlets, lesnar looked great in ovw wearing a singlet and looked even bigger cos of it, Mason Ryan would look less like Batista if he wore one.

Everyone wears trunks these days so a monster in a singlet looks different.

I'd build him and Tensai up but never on the same show, leading to a staredown at the rumble then a match at Mania, Two undefeated monsters one on one at Mania would write itself.

• Paid Members
Ive said it few few times that big guys should wear singlets, lesnar looked great in ovw wearing a singlet and looked even bigger cos of it

Bollocks. He looked a million dollars in trunks, so much better than the singlet.

• Paid Members
Ive said it few few times that big guys should wear singlets, lesnar looked great in ovw wearing a singlet and looked even bigger cos of it

Bollocks. He looked a million dollars in trunks, so much better than the singlet.

Imagine how hilarious Lesnar would look in a singlet now- with that penis tattoo poking out the top of it between his tits.

From what Ive seen to keep building Ryback up you need to mix it up, maybe sorting a squsah vs 2 on 1 , 3 on 1 etc, tease a turn, and then, start on a tag team like the usos for example before moving on to semi main eventers. A loss caused by interference, followed by a semi squash vs the same wrestler would help the star rise and he doesnt 'need' to be in the World Title Picture to do it. A narrow loss to an Icon would also help the star rise if, if it was a good match.

I like Ryback, it reminds me of someone closer to home

• Moderators
Ive said it few few times that big guys should wear singlets, lesnar looked great in ovw wearing a singlet and looked even bigger cos of it, Mason Ryan would look less like Batista if he wore one.

Hmmm.. Mason Storm, Casey Ryback... Steven Segal's influence can be felt all over real and fake fighting.

Maybe its an excuse but in one of the Legends of Wrestling shows Kevin Nash made a rather convincing argument as to why the streak needed to end, not why HE needed to end it, but just why it should be ended. I can't remember what he says exactly but its worth looking up if you haven't seen it.

I think Ryback needs some time, I'd pay money to seem him beat the fuck out of someone, anyone. His moves are cool, the clothesline is devastating, he looks like a beast, but he needs time, let him squash a few more nobodies then move on to the minor guys and so on...

Still unsure about the backstage stuff in his matches though, surely if you're Heath Slater of Drew McIntyre you are gonna be shitting yourself that he's coming for you rathr than pissing about laughing at the jobber?

Archived