UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Thanks for that.

A good read indeed, I brought up that I felt Chael had slowed down in the Bisping fight, but many felt it was down to Bisping improving, I am not too sure. now. Maybe a bit of both.

His his view on Sonnen is a very interesting viewpoint to take and one I may even agree with. He has never offended me personally, but people forget how much shit the Lance Armstrong comments brought on.

One thing is though, I still have not got a fucking clue what is going to happen Saturday.

You have to remember (and this is just my opinion), we saw Chael Sonnen's best performance of his career against Brian Stann. His takedowns were stunning and showed that he had been working on his submission defence. When he slammed Stann he dropped him straight into side control displaying a more methodical approach to his wrestling.

For me, the Bisping fight was a mix of Bisping having amazing takedown defence - as displayed in his match against a heavier and stronger Rashad Evans - and also Chael more than likely being incredibly nervous. The fight was for a crack at Anderson Silva and Chael had the most to lose. The fact was every man and his dog wanted to see the biggest rematch in MMA history. Chael in the end said words along the lines of "i'm just glad I got through it" and you could really sense his relief. This must have weighed on his mind and impacted on his performance.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I really rated the Stann performance, and can agree with what you have wrote. Stann has always had problems with wrestlers though, he was as style made for Sonnen (and maybe Silva is as well, another point raised by Meltzer)

It also should be noted I had Chael winning 29-28 with Bisping, so I felt he at least won. I can agree that Bisping does at times have great takedown defense, but it was fresh in my mind that Mayhem was able to take him down and control him for a round, even if he did fuck all damage. I expected more from Chael and may have underated Bisping in the process.

• Paid Members

That Meltzer piece is great. Cheers Seven.

Really interesting read and as much as I joke about his problems with triangle defence I really think it's the mental lapses are Sonnen's achilles heel. He knows the techniques, that's evident from his attempt to escape the Silva triangle last time. Just seems like when he gets that close to winning he sometimes switches off or gets distracted thinking about the win before he's secured it.

It's telling if you listen to what Matt Lindland said to him before the 5th round last time, drilling it into him about 'keeping focus' and 'I'm proud of you but it's not over yet'. It's been an issue his whole career.

• Paid Members

Absolutely brilliant. This really shows how big this fight is. Trending right now on Twitter (in the UK) is "Chael Sonnen thinks so". Rarely do we ever see anything MMA related trending on Twitter.

^ Tbf, both Alan Belcher & Joe Silva were trending yesterday in the UK.

What alot of people don't realise about Sonnen in the Bisping fight (courtesy of Kenny Florian's twitter):

Chael's weight cut against Bisping went horrible & commission was making his life miserable all week from what I heard

Just watched the training videos from yesterday staring seagal, Chael and Le.

Chael said he had roughly 20lbs to loose in a day or just under that's insane surely that's going to affect this performance on Saturday. Also another interesting point is that Renzo Gracie has contacted Sonnen and gave him a bollocking of some kind or maybe it's just a warning to keep the talking down a little.

Seagal, how far does he has his head up his own ass. Just seemed a prick Cung Le was right when he said Seagal has brought nothing to mma really. Fighters have used the head teep kick for years Anderson and Loyota were just two people who got outstanding knockouts with it. Seagal claimed that he's been working on 2-3 different moves for stand up which is seen as illegal but in the rule book is not. So he's teach Anderson to headbutt chael downstairs? The guy is barking mad it, Seagal is trying to hold onto the last few moments of fame.

Cung Le just finished a film working with Batista of all people "The man with the iron fist" looks a like a Japanese gore fest from the trailer. Le isn't taking Cote lightly at all and gave a good reason why.

I like people have mentioned we don't know what Anderson is coming if it's Abu-dabi Anderson he's fucked and will most likely get cut afterwards for his. Seagal has mentioned he's "deep" fighting with emotion but he's "deep" more crazy jibberish.

Also in a interview for Chad Mendez (I think that's how you spell it) he even came clean to Chad admitting that Chael is just selling the fight and he doesnt really mean all this Tradh talk he's web doing. He's selling a fight and he's hoping for the biggest PPV buys to date and people really really want to see this fight. Maybe Anderson has cottoned on now and he's trying to sell the fight.

Be interesting this fight Chael has power to rock Anderson and vica versa. Both has great submission skills both have great cardio. So many factors only a day away from the most hyped up fight and the most must see match in mma to date really.

• Paid Members
Just watched the training videos from yesterday staring seagal, Chael and Le.

Chael said he had roughly 20lbs to loose in a day or just under that's insane surely that's going to affect this performance on Saturday. Also another interesting point is that Renzo Gracie has contacted Sonnen and gave him a bollocking of some kind or maybe it's just a warning to keep the talking down a little.

Also in a interview for Chad Mendez (I think that's how you spell it) he even came clean to Chad admitting that Chael is just selling the fight and he doesnt really mean all this Tradh talk he's web doing. He's selling a fight and he's hoping for the biggest PPV buys to date and people really really want to see this fight. Maybe Anderson has cottoned on now and he's trying to sell the fight.

Regarding a couple of your points above.

First regarding Chael's weight cut. Watch the interview http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/7/6/314051...fight-interview with Mike Dolce regarding Chael's cut. This is all as planned and says the majority of the 20lbs is water and that after yesterdays work out he was down to 12lbs already. Mike Dolce has a different approach to weight cutting that focuses on the fighter continuing to eat right up until the day before the weigh ins rather than stopping several days before. He states that it's far more healthier using his diet approach to cutting and avoids the body going into shock.

I don't really get your point regarding Chael's comments to Chad Mendes. It's common knowledge what Chael is doing what he is doing to sell the fight. It's the only reason he does what he does.

Anderson Silva has been pushed by Dana White to be more 'promoy' and sell big fights. Anderson didnt even want to do a Primetime for this fight, wich is insane. Hopefully Dana has opened Silva's mind and he gets that he's getting old and he might make more money if he would talk back to Cheal.

• Paid Members

Also AJMCStyles - Silva is not going to get cut, regardless of his performance.

Looking at the card, you gotta feel for Cody McKenzie. I know he did well in his last outing and deserves to be climbing the ladder, but hes still a massive one trick pony. He's getting thrown to the wolves here.

• Paid Members

On the earlier point about Anderson not wanting to do Primetime/promote the fight etc, Dana said the fight itself almost didn't get made at all.

Anderson didn't want the fight because he thought Chael was bad for MMA/a clown etc according to Dana. He said the reason Anderson was late for that press conference in Brazil was because he was in another room trying to convince Anderson to agree to the fight.

Dana also said the reason Anderson was so angry on that conference call was because he wasn't gonna be on the call and Dana had to call him up and give him a bollocking to get him on the line.

Who knows? These days I take every word that comes from Dana's gob with a mug of salt. But it's all just adding to the drama.

On the earlier point about Anderson not wanting to do Primetime/promote the fight etc, Dana said the fight itself almost didn't get made at all. '' ''

'' '' But it's all just adding to the drama.

Read all that aswell. Yeah this is really good fun. I'm buying into Silva's talk. I get the feeling he's very confident during and after his training camp, and ,with the rib injury in the first fight taken for truth, he might see this fight as a sure-fire win.

Its just me hoping we see another 'Silva vs Griffin'-like performance out of the master :)

Archived