UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
I think aside from Chael, Frank Mir and Dan Hardy are the two best talkers in MMA. Both shit charisma and polarize opinions. There's really no middle ground, you're either tuning in to support them or hoping they receive a sound twatting. Either way at least you're arsed about their fights. Just a shame neither have a real shot at winning the title (especially in Hardy's case).

MMA has tons of characters. The big loveable babyface (JDS), cocky fuckers (Chael/Mir/Hardy), the GI Joe (Stann), the fit birds (Ronda/Miesha), silent killers (Cain), monsters (Reem), showmen (Lawlor), nutters (Diaz), the funny fuckers (Serra, Bas). Heel 'foreigners' like Bisping. Legends like Wand, Hendo, Hughes.

Even the non fighters have 'characters'. Dana, Rogan etc, all big personalities. Heel officials like Winslow and Cecil. Heel managers like Greg Jackson.

If you follow MMA and get to know the stories of the guys and the history it's brilliant. It's almost as much like wrestling as wrestling is these days.

:confused:

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I really rate Jackson, he's the best coach in the game IMO. I know he's been vocal against fans with the 'just bleed' mentality, expecially after the Condit/Diaz fight when some people were claiming Jackson's 'ruining the sport' etc etc which isn't going to win him any popularity contests. That aside I can't think of another coach who's better.

• Paid Members
I really rate Jackson, he's the best coach in the game IMO. I know he's been vocal against fans with the 'just bleed' mentality, expecially after the Condit/Diaz fight when some people were claiming Jackson's 'ruining the sport' etc etc which isn't going to win him any popularity contests. That aside I can't think of another coach who's better.

Oh yeah I defo agree with that, you can't argue with his results and I've said before that I don't buy the 'Jacksons ruining MMA' stuff.

But he does give off a bit of a smug vibe imo and the MFC/Ryan McGillivray incident a few months ago was inexcusable to me. I didn't mean he wasn't a good coach, just that he's disliked by a large group of fans for a few reasons hence making him my 'heel MMA manager' by default.

• Paid Members

Today's press conference was awful. It looked like a game show with Anik hosting and Ortiz mainly talked about his kids.

Dave Meltzer's preview on this in the new Observer is one of the best things he's ever written (the occasional glaring errors and all). I'd copy and paste it here but it's such a good read that I'd feel guilty.

Dave Meltzer's preview on this in the new Observer is one of the best things he's ever written (the occasional glaring errors and all). I'd copy and paste it here but it's such a good read that I'd feel guilty.

Want to give us the jist of it then, or tell us why its so great. Does he just capture the moment perfectly?

I think you have to give Sonnen a lot of credit in that he's made this whole thing into easily transcribable fiction. Meltzer's stuff is, naturally, usually quite straightforward and fact-based, and the first two-thirds of this contain a lot of summarising, but when he waxes lyrical about Sonnen and who he is and who isn't and who he might actually be, it gives Big Dave the chance to throw in some flourishes.

Fuck it, I'll post the latter half:

Chael Patrick Sonnen

Thanks for that.

A good read indeed, I brought up that I felt Chael had slowed down in the Bisping fight, but many felt it was down to Bisping improving, I am not too sure. now. Maybe a bit of both.

His his view on Sonnen is a very interesting viewpoint to take and one I may even agree with. He has never offended me personally, but people forget how much shit the Lance Armstrong comments brought on.

One thing is though, I still have not got a fucking clue what is going to happen Saturday.

Archived