WWE Smackdown - *Spoilers* For 4/27/2012

ThePhenom

• Paid Members

If we're getting really anal, Punk and Cena each held a separate but equally valid version of the WWE Championship. They both had a version of the title declared valid by Triple H, which was retroactively applied to make Punk's reign valid during his absence from WWE, even though another separate WWE Championship was active at the same time. This is different from Jericho and Chyna being co-holders of the same single version of the Intercontinental Championship.

I don't care how strange it makes me, I love poring over the logic and technicalities of stuff in wrestling that the people booking it probably haven't even thought about.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed out the season of NXT with Titus O'Neal (sp?) and have always found myself forwarding anything he's done but the segments he's had on the last two episodes of SD have piqued my interest. Not sure how he holds up in the ring but in those backstage segments he's shown tons of personality while Darren Young seems to be weighing him down. He legitimately comes off like a loud, bombastic, douche with about half a brain but still pretty entertaining in his mannerisms IMO. Him riding Long last week and his "Big Zeke has got no cuts" I found pretty funny. Thoughts?

I missed out the season of NXT with Titus O'Neal (sp?) and have always found myself forwarding anything he's done but the segments he's had on the last two episodes of SD have piqued my interest. Not sure how he holds up in the ring but in those backstage segments he's shown tons of personality while Darren Young seems to be weighing him down. He legitimately comes off like a loud, bombastic, douche with about half a brain but still pretty entertaining in his mannerisms IMO. Him riding Long last week and his "Big Zeke has got no cuts" I found pretty funny. Thoughts?

Titus was terrible until Darren Young turned up and turned him heel. I like D-Young, he should grow his hair back though and do the gimmick he was doing on NXT Season 1 I reckon. The tag team they've got going is interesting definitely, they'd need a face team to win the Tag Titles before going for them though. One thing working against themis that both of them may have the worst nicknames ever...

Chris Benoit won the WWE Tag titles on his own at Taboo Tuesday.

Not officially. Edge was his tag team partner. I don't the remember the match, but I'm sure it started with Edge in it.

^^^Kane won the belts on his own, but technically Hurricane was always his tag team partner/co-champion.

Didn't Kane DEFEND it without Hurricane? I thought they won it together.

• Paid Members
Chris Benoit won the WWE Tag titles on his own at Taboo Tuesday.

Not officially. Edge was his tag team partner. I don't the remember the match, but I'm sure it started with Edge in it.

^^^Kane won the belts on his own, but technically Hurricane was always his tag team partner/co-champion.

Didn't Kane DEFEND it without Hurricane? I thought they won it together.

I think your right, I think they won it, then Hurricane got injured backstage or summit then Kane defended it by himself in a great ladder match on Raw.

• Paid Members

Bryan is still great, the slow motion quick count video was well done. Shame Sheamus will retain and bore us all with his shite.

Teddy Long trying to cry during Cesaro's rubbish music was great fun. That lift into an uppercut is excellent.

Orton should never talk.

I found Titus & Darren Young really entertaining. Tag teams are in short supply so it's good to see these lads "Making it a Win"

Antonio Cesaro showed how to ace a try-out match. His flapjack into a European Uppercut looked incredible. Pinpointing the moment Teddy Long had his heart ripped out was hilarious.

• Moderators

Antonio Cesaro wearing tubular grip and tape on his thighs to keep up with the gimmick he's a rugby player is one of the best bits of attention to detail I've seen in WWE in an age. After listening to the recent Regal podcast where he discusses getting his shirts with "W. Regal" sewn on them, I'd not be surprised if that was his idea. It's brilliant either way. I love little things like that.

Smackdown was really good this week, it's starting to evolve into the show I think it should be if we're all but abandoning the Brand Extension. It's basically a souped up version of old Superstars/Challenge. There were three matches with a defined star/jobber dynamic that made the stars look strong, lots of the main roster doing their bits in between and a star-powered Main Event. I know you can't do a weekly two hour jobber show, but I reckon this sort of balance is a good compromise. With minimal effort (and having missed the last couple of weeks) I found myself at least interested in virtually everything going on in the show. I love some (ChocCock) more than others (Randy Orton), but it's at least all there for me to digest.

Raw still has to be OMGLIVEACTIONWEEKLYEPISODIC and far too much Chris Jericho, but if this is Smackdown from now on, I'm totally on board.

Archived