Monday Night Raw thread (23/04/12)

JLM

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was already RAW starring Brock Lesnar and he wasn't even there for half of it. The replay of the excellent sit down interview with added clip of Rock getting the F5. The three videos were great choices Angle, Hogan and Hardy(Fuck you TNA). The Josh Mathews massacre was brilliant. Brock never said a word, no threats, no What did you say to me" just wham! The contract signing went too long with too much dialogue and too much Brock siiting down at a desk in a ring.

Was good to see Edge I guess, but I don't like the way they've gone with Cena on this. When they had the brawl Cena wasn't pussying out to the scary UFC guy. He was bloodied and coming back for more. Now he won't get in the ring without his cartoon chain and needs a pep talk from Edge. Thank god they signed Brock could you imagine if Lord Tensai was the lead heel in this scenario. The Japanese promo was horrible. Looked a bit better in the ring.

Jericho and Punk was awful is it the first in ring roadside sobreity test in wrestling, truly groundbreakingly awful.

Really enjoyed the asskicker/moneybags Lesnar again this week but there was probably too much of the latter. As has been said it would have been better just a bit shorter, there were still some cracking lines though, like the "You won't be fining me...you'll be paying me more money!" and of course RAW Starring Brock Lesnar. Thought the Cena bit was a little odd, perhaps they were showing he was ready to fight with the chain and after Edge's pep talk (which was good but would have been better down the line) but he still had a bit of piss dribbling down his leg. I'm sure they'll advance this Sunday and can't wait to see what happens here.

Quite liked both the rather unpopular stories of Punk/Jericho and Orton/Kane. The latter was good, harmless wrestling silliness and i'm looking forward to their match, quite enjoyed the "no i'm more sick" story. Jericho/Punk was again over-the-top wrestling story but Punk was funny with the pretending to be drunk and it was quite a good way for him to get one over on Jericho. Let's face it, it would have been a hell of a lot worse if they'd have followed that through with Punk actually being drunk. Looking forward to their match too.

Bryan/Sheamus had some good build and the ref stuff played into the ongoing story nicely, even if it does continue to make Sheamus look a chump.

Oh and why did the segment with Riley and Jericho spying on Punk, which made it look like he was drinking not air over here when it was live? I've read about it but didn't see it.

Oh and why did the segment with Riley and Jericho spying on Punk, which made it look like he was drinking not air over here when it was live? I've read about it but didn't see it.

I wondered why I never saw this, I assumed I must have fast-forwarded through it by accident whilst skipping through the adverts. But I guess it just wasn't shown then strangely.

• Paid Members

I wondered why I never saw this, I assumed I must have fast-forwarded through it by accident whilst skipping through the adverts. But I guess it just wasn't shown then strangely.

Same here. I just assumed I'd missed it when not paying attention to the TV screen.

• Paid Members
he seems quite composed and relaxed for a guy that must have a sense of embarassment cutting a WWE promo after having a career as a legit fighter.

Why would he have a sense of embarrassment cutting a promo, because he used to be a "legit fighter" (whatever that means)? He was an NCAA champion, who never liked wrestling before he joined the WWF the first time. He's probably far more comfortable now than he was then. Unless you mean "he used to be a UFC fighter - cutting a promo on a wrestling show is far more embarrassing then getting your head caved in by black blokes on steroids".

The same reason anybody would feel a bit embarassed going from a legitimate sport to something resembling a pantomime, Id consider that level of feeling to be enhanced now with Lesnars age and the fact that the product has a far more negative perception from neutrals now than it did in early 2002.

Sounds much more like just the thoughts of a paranoid, insecure wrestling fan rather than Brock himself. I genuinely think Brock really, really couldn't care less what just about anyone thinks of him.

Brock Lesnar can't cut wrestling promos, he never could. He can do UFC ones, but that's because the build-up for a real fight is different from the build-up to a fake fight. You can get away with throwing out rubbish, one-note verbiage at someone you're actually fighting. In wrestling, you need to be a bit more dynamic. Much like Rock trained with Michael McGillicutty in preparation for his return, Brock's seemingly been taking micwork notes from him as well. "This is real, this feeling you are feeling is a real feeling, and I feel it is a real feeling because I feel it too, because it is the genesis of real feelings. Here are some real feelings that I want to feel."

WWE kind of changed the rules for Lesnar with the video package last week, and ended up with an effective promo that worked wonders. Probably 99% of that interview was crap that stayed on the cutting room floor, but we never got to see and be unimpressed by that. We only saw the good bits. Sending him out with a live mic to do twenty-minute promos is exposing his biggest weakness (besides cake and getting punched), and they should avoid it in future. He can come across great in pre-tapes and short bursts, but he's a lost cause when it comes to doing an in-ring wrestling speech with two or more points to cover. Big Marblemouth Johnny Ace isn't exactly the kind of performer that can pick up his slack, either. The fuckers could at least have sent a Mariachi band out there for him to dance with.

• Paid Members

They should've sent out the SAME Mariachi band, playing Cena's music, with Brock dressed in t-shirt and jorts, you-can't-see-me-taunting everyone around ringside one by one.

I cant be the only person during the Josh Matthews segment who thought, its about time he got tossed around a bit, seems like hes beem asking daft questions to people for a few months now where he should have got a slap.

The main one I can think of is where he dug Big Show out after he lost the Title to Bryan at TLC about 1:45 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJ9NI6JgBw

Archived