Monday Night Raw thread (23/04/12)

JLM

I think calling it embarrassing or abysmal is well harsh. Lesnar was alright I thought. But alright was about it. Didnt think it did enough to build for the match, but it didnt hurt it. It was a segment designed to tie up a load of stips and odds and ends that they didnt tie up in previous weeks. Fitting 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag springs to mind. He rambled a bit, but no more than most shit go home episodes of Raw. I wasnt bothered by it. I dont know what people were expecting from him. He was never Ric Flair on the mic anyway. In fact, I thought it could have been far worse.

I thought Lesnar had been great in his very short mic moments since his return, considering the guys not done it for 8 years hes slotted back into the groove quite well. He turned into one of my favourite mic guys during his first run, despite starting as a complete mess when he debuted.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Someone referred to Jericho/Punk as 'shit hot' on page 2 of this thread. I've had a good think, and I'm almost certainly going to hang myself.

It was only Twinn, though, it wasn't like it was anybody sensible saying it.

• Paid Members
I thought Lesnar had been great in his very short mic moments since his return, considering the guys not done it for 8 years hes slotted back into the groove quite well.

To be fair though, his promos today are pretty much "I'm going to beat the shit out of Cena" - wouldnt his pre match interviews for his UFC fights have been basically the same? I wouldn't say he's had time to get out of practice. There may be a difference between a shoot and a work, but the vocabulary used to talk yourself up can't be that different if you're a fighter like Brock.

Brock's problem isn't that he's out of practice.

Brock's all business baby and was cutting wrestling promos all the way through his UFC tenure. The man is a money maker, and if there's a product to be sold he'll sell it. The problem was more that he clearly had a tonne of information to remember, a script to repeat. That's never been a strong point.

If they'd have just said go out there and sell yourself as a mercenary, Cena as a scaredy cat and the fight as the biggest deal since octogenarians discovered lubricant then it'd have been fine. Probably.

I thought Lesnar had been great in his very short mic moments since his return, considering the guys not done it for 8 years hes slotted back into the groove quite well.

To be fair though, his promos today are pretty much "I'm going to beat the shit out of Cena" - wouldnt his pre match interviews for his UFC fights have been basically the same? I wouldn't say he's had time to get out of practice. There may be a difference between a shoot and a work, but the vocabulary used to talk yourself up can't be that different if you're a fighter like Brock.

Its more than just what he says though, he still holds that presence when he talks, he seems quite composed and relaxed for a guy that must have a sense of embarassment cutting a WWE promo after having a career as a legit fighter. Look at a few of his promos from mid 2002 to see how bad he used to be and how good he become in late 2003, hes still much closer to his late 2003 run than the former.

• Paid Members
he seems quite composed and relaxed for a guy that must have a sense of embarassment cutting a WWE promo after having a career as a legit fighter.

Why would he have a sense of embarrassment cutting a promo, because he used to be a "legit fighter" (whatever that means)? He was an NCAA champion, who never liked wrestling before he joined the WWF the first time. He's probably far more comfortable now than he was then. Unless you mean "he used to be a UFC fighter - cutting a promo on a wrestling show is far more embarrassing then getting your head caved in by black blokes on steroids".

• Paid Members

Of course, the man has "it" and that doesn't leave you. He and Rock have stood out over the last few months because they are two guys that undisputedly have "it" in terms of having that genuine star power and highlighted how thin on the ground the full-time roster is in terms of guys that hold your attention in such a way. Currently I have to watch Raw on Youtube if I can be arsed, and since Lesnar came back I've watched everything he's done. It's the first time in probably nearly a year that (at least some of) Raw is can't miss for me.

he seems quite composed and relaxed for a guy that must have a sense of embarassment cutting a WWE promo after having a career as a legit fighter.

Why would he have a sense of embarrassment cutting a promo, because he used to be a "legit fighter" (whatever that means)? He was an NCAA champion, who never liked wrestling before he joined the WWF the first time. He's probably far more comfortable now than he was then. Unless you mean "he used to be a UFC fighter - cutting a promo on a wrestling show is far more embarrassing then getting your head caved in by black blokes on steroids".

The same reason anybody would feel a bit embarassed going from a legitimate sport to something resembling a pantomime, Id consider that level of feeling to be enhanced now with Lesnars age and the fact that the product has a far more negative perception from neutrals now than it did in early 2002.

• Paid Members
If they'd have just said go out there and sell yourself as a mercenary, Cena as a scaredy cat and the fight as the biggest deal since octogenarians discovered lubricant then it'd have been fine. Probably.

If I was a WWE sponsor, I'd want a written guarantee that they wouldn't give Brock Lesnar a live mic without a script.

• Paid Members
The same reason anybody would feel a bit embarassed going from a legitimate sport to something resembling a pantomime, Id consider that level of feeling to be enhanced now with Lesnars age and the fact that the product has a far more negative perception from neutrals now than it did in early 2002.

Anyone who isn't a thin skinned cock end wouldn't give a toss. Lesnar doesn't like real fighting, he doesn't like WWE. If the money's right, why would he give a toss? This is a man who doesn't watch television and doesn't know 80% of the current roster's name. He doesn't strike me as someone who cares what anyone thinks of him. And why should he? He's earning more money doing less work.

• Paid Members
If I was a WWE sponsor, I'd want a written guarantee that they wouldn't give Brock Lesnar a live mic without a script.

Is that because of remarks like "what was running down his leg? Piss." and "shitting in his pants" by any chance? Was a little Steineresque, at least that one was pre-recorded so they could bleep him.

I loved that interview, it made Brock sound like a real person talking about wanting to batter someone. Too many promos these days come across more like pure hype bigging up "this is going to be a great spectacle" and being over respectful, or how it will be one of the best matches ever. Worse still some go completely too far the other way like when Punk and Orton were talking in the build up to 'Mania last year about putting each other "in the ground." Sure you will.

Nothing wrong with some good old fashioned "you're pissing yourself, because I'm going to kick your head in."

• Paid Members

Is that because of remarks like "what was running down his leg? Piss." and "shitting in his pants" by any chance? Was a little Steineresque, at least that one was pre-recorded so they could bleep him.

It's because of that UFC post-fight interview where he verbally pissed all over Bud Light, the show's major sponsor, and endorsed their big rival Coors. Obviously we and WWE know he probably wouldn't do that again, but the sponsors would be well within their rights to demand that WWE formally made sure of that.

And I loved the interview from last week too. One of the best things they've done in ages. I thought his segment this week was weak sauce in comparison. He was stumbling over his words and he would be much more natural and effective without a script. My point was the sponsors would never go for it, and the sponsors outrank everyone except maybe the TV channel execs.

• Paid Members

The contract signing wasn't the best segment to end the go-home show before the PPV, but it wasn't bad either. I was already sold on the match two weeks ago anyway, as I'm sure 95% of fans that end up paying to watch the show will have been. I will admit that it was the weakest Lesnar segment since his return, but that's only because everything else to date has been pretty much perfect. I actually like Lesnar's delivery- he talks like Brock Lesnar, the person, not like a character on a TV show. It all adds to the realism and makes him believable.

On the whole, there was plenty of good stuff on Raw, but three hours was completely unnecessary.

One thing that did irk me slightly was Edge's appearance. I was just thinking who the fuck is Edge to come out and give Cena a dressing down like that? It's not like Cena has been ducking Lesnar so far- he's made it clear that he's up for the fight. I can see exactly what they were going for, but the whole promo just made Edge look like a bit of a prick.

In short interviews I think Brock Lesnar comes across very well. UFC cut a lot of his promos to make them look like they are well delivered and intense.

I feel he struggled massively last night, his sentences made very little sense and he seemed genuinely nervous.

I also didn't get why the commentators weren't making reference to Cena coming into the ring with his chain wrapped round his knuckles?

Brock doesn't look anywhere near in the shape that he once was. I predict he'll wear some sort of singlet at the PPV.

Archived