Monday Night Raw thread (23/04/12)

JLM

WWE sources confirmed to PWInsider today that Beth Phoenix is not injured and the apparent injury on RAW last night was part of the storyline to explain the title change. Beth sold the injury so good that a number of people backstage thought she was legitimately hurt. Beth was still selling the injury after leaving the arena last night and at the airport this morning in front of fans.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That's ace. I love it when you hear about wrestlers going the extra mile like that, especially when WWE's travel schedule is such a notorious pain in the arse and they'd be well within their rights to just skulk through the airport not giving a fuck who's looking.

The travel schedule now is probably easier than it ever has been in proper wrestling. Hacksaw was away from home for months at a time and they expected him to pretend not to be mates with Sheiky Baby the entire time, even when Sheik was the one with the medicine.

Mason Ryan looks odd dressed up as IRS on that Cena birthday video.

• Paid Members

My initial reaction was that the in-match injury was fake but that they were covering because she needed to take time off for another niggling injury or surgery or something. She did sell it fantastically well though, and the other divas not getting too involved when she was on the outside made it seem like she might be legitimately hurt.

I'm still baffled as to the face/heel divide though. Beth was playing subtle-ish heel before Mania by starting to get a bit arrogant because none of the other divas were a match for her. Then they used her for the celebrity angle at Mania and allied her with Eve as an outright heel.

Kharma will presumably be an automatic face when she returns because that tends to happen after long absences and because of how she left. So I'd have thought the logical thing would be to keep Beth as the dominant heel champion and have Kharma show up next time she's bragging about how she's exhausted all the challengers and get the feel good title win after the shitty time she's had.

All of that said, Kharma's gimmick seems to be far better suited to playing monster heel, so I thought with this injury angle they might be turning Beth face, and they'll therefore be building to Kharma as dominant heel champion and a recovering Beth chasing her once Kharma's torn through all the other divas.

However, in the match last night the Bella twin was playing face when I thought they were both heels? So are we going to have heel Beth chasing face Kharma for the title? Or is Kharma going to have turned heel by the time Beth comes back from the injury?

Now I'm starting to wish I did have the Divas = piss break policy for the sake of my poor, poor brain.

Either way I think Kharma vs Beth will be good if that's what's happening.

• Paid Members

Bryan Alvarez always tells this story of going to see a WCW PPV in the late 90s. Hulk Hogan did a stretcher job and was carried out. Later on in the night, Alvarez said he saw Hulk Hogan getting carried by the shoulders through the car park and into the hotel by Brutus and some other bloke. He says there was only him and one or two other lads there watching this. Turns out Hogan was never injured. There was about three fans and Hogan still felt the need to work the leg, brother.

I bet he even looks like he's enjoying shagging Bubba's wife in the arse crease of the Love Sponge's bed as well. The guy's a worker.

Thought it was a fun show overall. Not every segment was brilliant but a lot of stuff happened, which was refreshing. The Edge/Cena promo at the start was really well done, Jericho and Kingston had a good match, the sobriety test was goofy but entertaining despite Punk messing up a bit during the final bit and Sheamus vs Henry with Bryan as the referee was short but effective.

The contract signing was a bit of an anti-climax and make no mistake about it, Lesnar is not a promo guy but he does succeed in coming across such a prick that sthat people were actually starting to boo him and get behind Cena now, so it's working.

Looking forward to Extreme Rules.

As I was watching Lesner embarrass himself during the contract signing, I was just thinking to myself "and they are paying this guy how much to stumble over and over his promo" with JL. I mean fucking seriously that was poor at best! Did WWE not have him reciting his lines before coming out live in the evening, and giving the approval he can get the job done out there? That ending was just terrible as we know, and to think like many others have suggested in the last few weeks, where the hell is someone like Heyman to get this guy over more than just his physical attributes. Leaving Brock to go round and round in circles did him no favours at all. Just my thoughts.....

• Paid Members

I think calling it embarrassing or abysmal is well harsh. Lesnar was alright I thought. But alright was about it. Didnt think it did enough to build for the match, but it didnt hurt it. It was a segment designed to tie up a load of stips and odds and ends that they didnt tie up in previous weeks. Fitting 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag springs to mind. He rambled a bit, but no more than most shit go home episodes of Raw. I wasnt bothered by it. I dont know what people were expecting from him. He was never Ric Flair on the mic anyway. In fact, I thought it could have been far worse.

• Paid Members

See you later dAz.

There's still actually people here that actually come out with things like Brock should have Heyman with him to talk for him right now? Fucking hell, really? That really is missing the point of this current incarnation of Brock and his evolution. The only means i could see that being sensible/logical is if Brock thinks so much of himself and how WWE needs him that it's one of his demands that he has no time to be fannying about with interviews and talking so WWE are required to hire his 'agent' Heyman. That might work but, it would cause some limitations. There's a lot to offer from Brock talking with who he now is.

Anyway, personally i thought Brock was just fine in that last segment. He was probably just remembering points he needed to address (his bullet points) but it worked fine in the context of the contract signing and as though he was just being a dick for the sake of being a dick and making more demands, which i thought came across well and i wondered if it actually mirrored any of his actual re-signing. Doesn't he want his own movie and WWE to bring back Ice Cream bars though?

CM Drunk seemed quite fun and popular. I definitely get the impression a lot of the audience are keen for him to get right on the booze permanently.

I think the extra hour this week made the show a bit of a chore to get through but the contract signing, Jericho-Punk story and Sheamus vs Mark Henry were all decent. The thing with the Brock contract signing though was the demands were extremely similar to that during the CM Punk-Vince contract signing last summer except it was all a bit obvious that JL would cave in to the demands of his new guy and there was no threat of Brock going anywhere. But still, Brock came out of it looking like a money obsessed bad guy so its achieved something even if it wont be one of his more memorable moments.

Someone referred to Jericho/Punk as 'shit hot' on page 2 of this thread. I've had a good think, and I'm almost certainly going to hang myself.

I thought it was enjoyable to watch. I forward wind throw away tag matches but this is the sort of thing which glues me to my TV.

Archived