You know you should like them...

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Seen a few for Edge. Have to agree. There's never been a single facet of Edge that I enjoyed. I didn't bum his matches, couldn't bare his character, could bare his leggings, couldn't bare his promos, just couldn't bare him. Even more when he was a main eventer. I really didn't see him as a legitimate one, and it's amazing that he's had about 170 world title reigns when I still see him as total mid card.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a long list of theseBret Hart - Really never got why he was so goodRic Flair - Most of his NWA stuff i have never really enjoyedBrian Danielson - Mostly just the ROH stuffRoderick StrongRandy Orton - Bored of him since day 1The Rock - For a guy who is meant to be amazing i have never understood whyScott Steiner Big Show

From the names mentioned I'd certainly agree with Dusty Rhodes. I get that he was super popular and loved by the fans, he was a real "People's Champion" back in the day. But as Pity said, he's always sounded like an old black woman to me. A slightly moronic, lispy one at that! I haven't enjoyed many of his matches either. I went back and re-watched pretty much all the early NWA/WCW ppvs recently and loved most of the Flair stuff, but couldn't get into his matches with Dusty at all. Just really fucking boring. I guess without the emotional connection that is to be expected, but compared to stuff like Flair/Funk and Flair/Steamboat which is still great to watch now, the Dusty matches seem like they were from 20 years earlier than they actually were. Dull, dull, dull.Randy Orton is a bloody good shout too. He ticks all the boxes and totally knows what he is doing out there, but I struggle to ever care.I can see most people's points of view in here and the only one that really stands out is Austin Aries. If he was 6 inches taller he'd be fucking money! Carries himself like a total pro and can wrestle a good match with anyone. Promo's are up there with any younger talent these days too.

Rowdy Roddy Piper - People are always making a big fuss about how great he and the Piper's Pit segment was, but from watching all of the same old footage, he's nothing. His highly praised match with Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 8 isn't even in the same league as the Bret/Mr. Perfect match from Summerslam the year before as well. Whenever he's showed up on WWE TV over the past decade or when he was in TNA for a bit in early 2005, he's always bored me senseless as well. Also he was shit on ITV's Celebrity Wrestling. God I hate that voice, where is he even supposed to be from? He walks around with a kilt on, but doesn't even put the accent on.Big Show - I've never thought much of him, other than the Hardcore Triple Threat at WM 17, until he's feud with Mark Henry on Smackdown last year.Randy Orton - He used to bore me senseless, but that my opinion has since changed since he had all of those awesome match with Christian and CM Punk last year.

The Sandman crowd loved him had a good follwing but he didnt do it for me mean look at one night stand he kept shouting give me a beer i thought he was unsafe looking and horrible in the ring for example against cactus jack in a texas deathmatch.

Hogan loved him as a kid but got to when i was 13 or 14 just thought he got stale and boring the hulking up and acting invicable

cena marketable the make a wish stuff and the non stop promoting wwe but he never seems to get me to like him enough not as edgy as the first time he was rapping etc

• Paid Members
The Sandman crowd loved him had a good follwing but he didnt do it for me mean look at one night stand he kept shouting give me a beer i thought he was unsafe looking and horrible in the ring for example against cactus jack in a texas deathmatch.

Wasn't he knocked daffy a few minuets into that?

I like sandman despite the fact I know I shouldn't, he's crap really isn't he, but I fucking love the man.

• Paid Members
From the names mentioned I'd certainly agree with Dusty Rhodes. I get that he was super popular and loved by the fans, he was a real "People's Champion" back in the day. But as Pity said, he's always sounded like an old black woman to me. A slightly moronic, lispy one at that!

I haven't enjoyed many of his matches either. I went back and re-watched pretty much all the early NWA/WCW ppvs recently and loved most of the Flair stuff, but couldn't get into his matches with Dusty at all. Just really fucking boring. I guess without the emotional connection that is to be expected, ....

I think that this is the key to a lot of the nominations in this thread. The single biggest reason Dusty was such a big star was because of that connection he had with the people. I wouldn't expect many fans at all to watch his stuff retrospectively and think 'this guy is amazing'. I guess you had to be there, it's all about the emotional connection.

• Paid Members

I'm going with Dusty too, but it doesnt help that my first exposure to him was his feuds with Bossman and Macho Man, where I was a massive fan of the guys he was wrestling. I totally sided with Bossman in that feud - Dusty stole, for fuck's sake. As a child, I knew stealing was wrong, so I completely wanted to see Bossman beat the goofy grin off the face of the silly fat twat.

Don't get me started on the Savage feud. I fucking loved Macho Man, and Sherri for that matter, and when I watched the Mania VI tape I felt my exact feelings were being verbalised by The Body, despite Monsoon's feeble protests. He didn't really know what was going on, he had mustard all over his lapels. Rhodes and Sapphire were annoying, and they were cheaters.

Great connection with the fans, great chemistry with Flair etc. Stupid fat twat.

The Sandman

If anything Sandman is actually the complete opposite of what this thread is about. He's very limited in the ring, wasn't a particularly good interview, wasn't in great shape (apart from his time in WCW perhaps) but I fucking love the guy. He just had something about him. I'm clearly not the only one who thought so going by some of the reactions he got on RAW in 2007, an easy 10 years after his 'prime'.

I'll also never forget being in the crowd and him spitting beer over me at the 2nd big Coventry supershow. great night!

• Paid Members
Alberto Del Rio and Randy Orton are the ones for me. Everyone seems to rate them, and I can certainly see it, but I'm really 'meh' on them.

Well obviously not everyone rates them, as both have been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread so far.

I'll go with Orton as well. Occasionally a match of his will really grab me, but 99% of the time, I don't give two fucks about anything he's involved in. There's loads of things he does well, but making me care isn't one of them. I can't even remember the last storyline he was involved in that grabbed me. I think it was that time Edge turned on him a couple of years ago, the first angle of that (the "these people like you and they won't accept me" one) was good.

Add me to the Edge list - as a main eventer that is, I liked his tag team with Christian. I just never saw any reason to root for him as a face, and although he was better as a heel, once the bell went he was just... boring. No character at all in the way he wrestled.

Not sure I really get the CM Punk love either, really. He's had his moments but given all the hype around him I'm always surprised at how standard his matches are. The GTS is a pretty good finisher though.

I was going to put RVD in here but then i realized there isn't any reason why i should like him.

I couldnt agree more but as a lot of people like him I guess he qualifies. If Sabu is also supposed to be liked throw him in there too.

Zack Ryder. This is the one guy I cannot believe the IWC loves. In ring he is poor to average, On the mic he's pretty poor, his whole character and look is goofy. The absolute worst example of the PG era.

Ryder bores me. He doesnt really do anything wrong but he is just so average in every way.

Del Rio is also someone I dont get. He seems fundamentally sound but he is very bland to me. He has probably been on the mic for every appearance he has made yet I cant recall a single memorable comment or moment other than the rumble win (just the last few seconds of it) and "destiny". I cant even remember how he won or lost the title. Without Ricardo he be far worse off too in my opinion.

Archived