You know you should like them...

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Two that came straight to mind areChris Benoit (Pre Murders.) - His matches bored the fuck out of me. A shit Kurt Angle in my eyes. Shawn Michaels (2002-2005.) I've only just got to 2005 in trying to revisit WWE since i was on and off. I loved this guys matches 92-98 but know its just a hammy over-acted blood fest.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Edge. On paper I should have loved him - a cocky, opportunistic innovator, the master of TLC matches, great mic skills, and worked exceptionally hard to get where he is. And a heavy metal fan too! But as soon as his matches would start I would lose interest. I think part of it is down to his weak finisher moves, I love a good finisher me. Give me a Randy Orton over Edge any day.

for me its john cena, i used to be a big fan of his because i loved the rapper gimmick and was made up when he won the wwe title at WM 21 but then he moved to raw, altered his gimmick and got stale very quickly, the fact he has won the wwe title now more times than hogan, austin, rock, triple h, undertaker and HBK turns my stomach

• Paid Members

I'll go with Edge too. I could just never get into him as a top guy. I loved him as part of Edge & Christian, but as soon as they split and Edge got the big singles push, I lost interest. I think Foale has a good point about his weak finishers, I couldn't stand that shitty spear/running hug.

I have never really cared for Big Show outside of his match with Mayweather in 2008. Maybe it's the change of character he underwent every year or so up until 2010 and that he was never presented as being a dominant unbeatable giant after his debut. Outside of Survivor Series 2002 and Mania 24 I don't think I have ever purposely revisited a Big Show match. Del Rio doesn't do much for me either, I'm waiting for a feud with Triple H, Taker or Orton to see what they can get out of him but with time passing by a feud with Triple H and Undertaker look highly unlikely. I think he's okay, but I think he needs a higher level of opponent to capture my interest.

• Awards Moderator

I'll second Steve Austin - during his heyday, at least. I know he was great, I know he was a huge draw, I know how big the reactions he got were, I know how instrumental he was, blah blah. In other words, I know I should like him, but I never got it. I didn't like the character, I didn't like the angles, I didn't like the matches the majority of the time, I just didn't like him. The Stone Cold Stunner was a good finisher, but that was as far as it went, until the heel turn in '01. Heel Austin was excellent, face Austin was just a bullying cockwipe. I only became a Rock fan retrospectively as well, only realising how good he was after he left for The Scorpion King.

I came here to post Chris Benoit too. Boring, charisma vacuum who I could never give a shit about. I never hated him by any means, I was just totally indifferent to almost everything he did.Ditto Randy Orton.

• Paid Members

Definitely Jericho. There's been the odd moment or period where i've thought he was pretty decent, mainly at points in his return in turning heel and donning trunks. He had a pretty good run there. It is a shame that team with Edge was never realized. Mostly though he's unbelievably over-rated. By himself especially and many, many fans.Hogan and Flair for me too. I certainly understand why Hogan is so great but i'm with someone earlier with the hatred of him as a child. Was never ever really into him as a kid, enjoyed things when he left for a bit and then my world fell apart with his disgusting WrestleMania IX antics. But as nWo Hollywood, brilliant. Looking back it can seem as though some of the ways he was presented were designed for the big heel turn years down the line. Never really been one for the Nature Boy much either, many of the points Daz made i'd concur with and also, i feel most of the guys that he surrounded himself with, with The Horsemen, were a fair bit better than him but don't receive nearly the same level of praise.I was going to put RVD in here but then i realized there isn't any reason why i should like him.

Ric Flair. I don't really rate the character/interviews as much as people seem to, at least until he did the mental old man gimmick in WWE. I liked some of those. And his "classic" 1980s matches that I've watched bore me to tears. Almost nothing Flair did seemed genuine, it was always like a caricature of a wrestler.Dusty Rhodes. I just don't get it at all. Looks like shit, and his promos are even worse because he's A) a white man trying to talk like an awful black stereotype, and B) he's got as many speech impediments as chins.Babyface Steve Austin. I went off him at some point in 1997 or 1998 and never got back on board. I couldn't stand him in 1999. I loved his heel turn in 2001 though. Looking back, I think it was his refusal to show weakness and vulnerability during his big run that probably stopped me sympathising and connecting with him. But that was the same thing that millions of people loved about him. I was a far bigger fan of Rock and Mankind, and I think that's because they both let themselves be made to look like fools now and again. When Austin did start arsing about begging for hugs, playing songs badly and getting paranoid about everything, I loved it.Bret Hart. At some point as a kid, I liked him. At least I assume so, because I bought the shades at a house show (they might have just been more affordable than LOD spikes though). There were always babyfaces I liked more, and he always seemed to beat them. I was gutted when he beat Piper at WrestleMania 8, and I think that's what put me off him. Then the next year, he beat Mr. Perfect at King of the Ring. In between those matches, Bulldog won the title off him though, and I was very much on Davey's side in that feud. I always found Bret very bland, I think. I was a big fan of the Shawn Michaels babyface turn and boyhood dream push.I was never a Benoit fan either, but he never connected with people like the four above. In my dark days, I tried to convince myself to like him because you were supposed to, but I just never gave a shit about any of his storylines. He was in both of my favourite ever tag matches, though.

I'm going to second the Jericho and Edge nominations. Though I'm of the opinion that Jericho's actually just not that good. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything that makes me feel as if he is, in anyway, any better than average. Although maybe that'd change if I saw the stuff with Dean Malenko that everyone praises. Edge has been involved in some good stuff but just doesn't click for me. I can't help but see him as bland.

For me the guys that stand out are:1. Chris Jericho. I've never seen the appeal to him. In ring he's good sure but there's never been a match of his that i've had any want to go back and watch. His promo style bores me to death and his walk to the ring with his stupid suit never entertained me. The IWC seems to love this guy but to me he's just another guy who is midcard at best and doesn't deserve the praise he gets.2. Alberto Del Rio. Right now out of the full time roster he is my least favourite guy. Another guy like Jericho that the IWC loves yet I can't stand him. His in ring style doesn't appeal to me, His 2 title reigns bombed, He's a piss poor mixture of JBL and Eddie Guerrero and quite frankly he doesn't deserve the current spot he has.3. Bret Hart. Alright he's a great technical wrestler but his style just doesn't appeal. He seems to think he's god's gift to wrestling and every match he's been in has been a classic. Not a fan and will never be one.4. Zack Ryder. This is the one guy I cannot believe the IWC loves. In ring he is poor to average, On the mic he's pretty poor, his whole character and look is goofy. The absolute worst example of the PG era.

Randy Savage is one that stands out for me. Looking back, I love a load of his matches obviously and I wouldn't argue for a minute that he wasn't one of the best of all time. But at the time, I just couldn't take to him. I think it was his horrible, irritating voice and way of talking that done it. I liked the colour, but his whole image was shit to me. The hat, balding pubehead, 'macho man' moniker, 'ooh yeah' catchphrase - everything about him just seemed lame. I couldn't cheer for that shit. His feud with Flair may have been the first time I ever sided with the bad guy. It would have been Jake, but I felt sorry for Savage after the cobra bite as that was taking things just too far. Another one is a big UKFF favourite - D'Lo brown. Everybody seems to love him and his '99 run... except me it would appear. He was entertaining to an extent like all fat guys who fly around, but I could never get into his act. That stupid strut and shit mannerisms just looked so forced and there was nothing about him that appealed to me, albeit his matches were fine from a mechanical perspective. I loved it when Jarrett, Debs and big Sexual Chocolate showed him up for the fool that he was!

Archived