You know you should like them...

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Which wrestlers could you never just take to? You know that you should be a big fan, but you just can't do it.I've got 1 1/2. 1. Bret Hart. Dunno why, but even as a child I never could get behind him. There's just something about him I really don't like1/2. Shawn Michaels (Pre-2002 hence the 1/2). After his 2002 comeback he's one of my faves, when he's not in there with HHH, but before that I couldn't get into him either.I dunno if it was my stodgy diet of WCW as a child, but I can never get into them as much as everyone else seems to. They had great matches in their times, but I just... I dunno.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/2. Shawn Michaels (Pre-2002 hence the 1/2). After his 2002 comeback he's one of my faves, when he's not in there with HHH, but before that I couldn't get into him either.I dunno if it was my stodgy diet of WCW as a child, but I can never get into them as much as everyone else seems to. They had great matches in their times, but I just... I dunno.

For me, its completely the reverse. Loved his pre-02 stuff for the pure prickishness he showed - even when he was a face! After he came back, for me he was just a bit bland!

Randy Orton.wow, the complete package! The looks, the 'workrate', the promo (when not doing the boring stuff)But he's just.. meh. Its like he doenst want to be there most of the time. I also blame Vince for some booking mistakes in the past, but i can't get into him anymore, heel or face.

1/2. Shawn Michaels (Pre-2002 hence the 1/2). After his 2002 comeback he's one of my faves, when he's not in there with HHH, but before that I couldn't get into him either.I dunno if it was my stodgy diet of WCW as a child, but I can never get into them as much as everyone else seems to. They had great matches in their times, but I just... I dunno.

For me, its completely the reverse. Loved his pre-02 stuff for the pure prickishness he showed - even when he was a face! After he came back, for me he was just a bit bland!
I agree with this. Before his injury he was clearly such a dick but he wasn't being a dick to me so he was great fun to watch. I've always thought Bret was awesome too.My answer to this question has to be Christ Jericho. I can't quite put my finger on it but for some reason I keep watching him and expecting him to be amazing and he somehow always comes up short of my expectations. I can really understand what was said about Orton too. Nothing he does is that bad, just nothing stands out to me either.

• Paid Members

1. DDP - I just couldn't get into DDP, I have no clue why. Maybe it was the fact he had the haircut of my Mum's fat mate, or that he has a face that looks like a dirty scrotum. His finisher was alright, even if it looked 'gay' compared to what the other top talent were doing.2/3. Hulk Hogan - I fucking hated this old geezer as a kid. He was always taking the spot of better wrestlers like Warrior, Bret Hart or the Stinger. He ALWAYS fucking cheated too, hypocrite! He showed his true colours when he joined the nWo, I was all in to hating Hogan because I thought he was a cock as a kid - Sting coming after him and looking like Superman for nearly 18 months is still my favourite thing ever.Things changed during his 2002 WWE run though; I don't really know what it was, maybe the way he outclassed most of the roster by doing little, or maybe it was the number of classic matches he was having. Now I kind of have a clue what wrestling is, Hogan is the master.

Which wrestlers could you never just take to? You know that you should be a big fan, but you just can't do it.I've got 1 1/2. 1. Bret Hart. Dunno why, but even as a child I never could get behind him. There's just something about him I really don't like1/2. Shawn Michaels (Pre-2002 hence the 1/2). After his 2002 comeback he's one of my faves, when he's not in there with HHH, but before that I couldn't get into him either.I dunno if it was my stodgy diet of WCW as a child, but I can never get into them as much as everyone else seems to. They had great matches in their times, but I just... I dunno.

Totally the same. Hated Shawn as a kid but once he came back he was one of my favourites. Bret I've always struggled to get behind. Not sure why. For some reason I was more into Lex Luger around 93/early 94 then by 96 he was either gone or started the heel turn that saw him whine a lot.Two others I don't get all the love for and probably never will are Dusty Rhodes and to a lesser extent Ric Flair.

Yeah, i'm sorry but Ric Flair takes it for me.

His gimmick was cool, but it was lifted from a bunch of people before him so he doesn't really score originality points; beyond that his act was pastiche, founded on OTT facials, comedy selling and just having the longest matches.

In later years his promos were great, i'll admit. But, great in a 'this-guy-seems-batshit-mental-and-a-bit-pissed' way.

Add me to the Shawn Michaels thing, never really got what the fuss was about. Ive liked sporadic stuff like the Rockers and then Summerslam 2002 vs Triple HHH, other than that I just dont see it/get it at all tbhScott Hall, I've never have understood the fascination with him either, watched a bunch of his matches from all over the shop, but it doesnt do anything for me.Randy Orton is another. Apex Predator. Meh. He can wrestle and has a good look for sure, but it just doesnt click and he doesnt do anything particularly that makes him stand out and that convoluted DDT spot from the ropes is really, really beginning to get on my tits, ditto with the RKO from anywhere stick.

At the risk of derailing the thread, it's got to be Cena. This isn't going to be a laundry list of all the reasons why he's shit - he's clearly not. And I'm not going to fall back on the old 'he only appeals to children' excuse, because he's obviously proven to be an acquired taste over the years for quite a few of the better posters on here.He just doesn't appeal to me, though. Everything from his clothes to his character to his promo style leaves me cold, and I just flat out don't like white meat babyfaces. I will say that this hasn't applied for the Rock/Lesnar feuds, mainly because they've featured the comebacks of two of my all-time favourites and Cena has more than carried his load, but the rest of the time when he's feuding with Miz/Del Rio/Wade Barrett/Mark Henry or whoever else is knocking about, he bores me.

For me I'd say it has to be Alberto Del Rio if I'm looking at the current WWE roster. For some reason when he first debuted there was an awful lot of excitement here and elsewhere from a few people about him. I could never honestly see it myself and actually let these feelings be known at the time and to be honest I still can't see him as World Championship or WWE Championship material. To me he is probably an upper midcard guy who should be on the US Title or Intercontinental Title, granted he'd be one of the top guys in the midcard who is probably holding either one of those Titles for a decent amount of time, and then maybe in a few years he could move up when he has had time to better himself.The thing is I understand why people enjoy him and admit his promos are pretty good but I just don't seem to enjoy him that much, hopefully this year I'll warm to him more, I admit I have already warmed to him a bit since his debut but I'm still not really a fan of his. I must say though for me I am more excited to see Ricardo when ADR's music hits and that isn't a good sign really that I enjoy seeing his personal ring announcer more than him.

• Paid Members

Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho are two standouts. Jericho is an obvious one. Michaels I hated for years, because when I switched my allegiances to WCW in 1996, when the nWo was running wild, I thought the shows didn't compare. Michaels didn't seem half as big a star as Hollywood Hogan, Hall, Nash, Piper, Savage and Flair. WWF looked like WCW reserves if you compared the rosters. He was never my favourite Rocker for starters. He was never my favourite Dude With Attitude. He was my least favourite Clique member (still is probably, but thats more to do with how great the other four members are). Growing up on a diet of Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan and then having to accept Shawn Michaels as champion was a change of pace to say the least. He also had a habit of trying to get his knob out after winning a match, which was unsettling. My Dad would bring out North East based queer bashing insults while watching Raw and Superstars when HBK was on as well. "God, I hate this bloody poof, me" would regular be heard from out living room. Wasnt a fan of the original DX either. The Road Dogg lead group was far superior. When Michaels came back, he was awesome, though. I'd continued my semi-dislike for him up until Survivor Series 2003. Anyone who watches that, and had previous hate for HBK will be cured. His performance in that was world class. And now me and Shawn regular go to bible practice and shoot deer after our Yorkshire puddings on Sundays.Most of the ECW roster as well, until they turned into relics who everyone demanded you hate. Raven, Dreamer, Douglas and most of that lot I found small time. One thing I cant knock Heyman for, was his ability to market shite and present them in a way where they come across bigger than what they are. Back in 2001, I thought the people saying "give Raven a main event push" on a roster featuring Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Benoit, Angle and the dozens of other star names was insane. If anything, WWF missed the boat not bringing Johnny Polo back.

I can name a few from over the years.1. Steve Austin. I will admit that I was not watching WWF when he got really popular as I was a WCW fan at the time but I looked back on the time period and have seen all his best bits and best matches and just dont see what was so great.2. John Cena. This isnt me knocking him for the sake of knocking him but the guy has not entertained me since his promo at the Royal Rumble in 2003! He is a terrible worker. I cannot see how he gets a single compliment ever. I WANT to like the guy and I give him chance after chance to entertain me but he fails. He looked inferior in the Rock fued and looks goofy and like a pussy in this current Lesnar fued. I have watched his match with Rock 3 times and each time I cant beleive that peoples reviews of this match are the of the same match as me. FSM magazine said that Cena looked great and Rock was blown up. Well Rock hasnt had a singles match since 2003 so that expected and Cena botched more moves than I have ever seen from him! Ok Rant over.3. JBL. Lots of people want him back, at least on the mic but I never thought he deserved the main event slot. He was fine as a midcard guy in the APA but apart from that he was poor in my eyes.

• Paid Members

Most of the ECW roster as well, until they turned into relics who everyone demanded you hate. Raven, Dreamer, Douglas and most of that lot I found small time. One thing I cant knock Heyman for, was his ability to market shite and present them in a way where they come across bigger than what they are. Back in 2001, I thought the people saying "give Raven a main event push" on a roster featuring Austin, Rock, Undertaker, Benoit, Angle and the dozens of other star names was insane. If anything, WWF missed the boat not bringing Johnny Polo back.

I was actually going to post Raven, but then I realised he was alright in WCW. The ECW roster is well overrated though. Douglas and Dreamer are probably the best two example, Heyman made them look like stars in his bingo hall, but any time they stepped into proper arenas they looked like midcarders, at best. Douglas, in particular, was "fucking" rotten.

Archived