Best Cage Match

mackie

WWE wise, HHH/Flair from Taboo Tuesday is probably my favourite, just pure, old-school, bloody violence from two of the best

ever on the top of their game.

I absolutely adored this match first time round, it had pretty much everything you'd want. You had Flair trying to prove he still had it, and putting in one of his best performances since his WWE return, Triple H playing the dickhead, both men pissing buckets of blood, Joey Styles putting an absolute blinder in on commentary, Falir going batshit with a chair, and my favourite moment when he puts Triple H in the figure four, gives him the middle finger and shouts 'fuck you'.

It showed that with the right wrestlers you can still pull of an old school cage match (or at least you could pre-PG) in 21st century WWE.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go watch that Flair/Trips one now as I don't remember it well.

Also have a soft spot for the Jimmy Jacobs/Whitmer one from Supercard of Honor in 07, where the crowd is white hot and Jacobs tears his ACL. Love the violence in that one.

If we're counting TNA, Triple X vs AMW from Turning Point 04 surely?

EDIT just saw it's mentioned by the OP.

Money INC vs The Steiner Brothers was the first cage match I ever saw, and it blew my mind.

I think that was the preview show before SummerSlam 93 - it a fantastic match, and like you it blew my mind when I first saw it.

Wasn't it Dibiase Vs Razor in the opener on that show?

Edit: Never mind, its looks like it was the Raw before Sumerslam.

Money INC vs The Steiner Brothers was the first cage match I ever saw, and it blew my mind.

I think that was the preview show before SummerSlam 93 - it a fantastic match, and like you it blew my mind when I first saw it.

Wasn't it Dibiase Vs Razor in the opener on that show?

Edit: Never mind, its looks like it was the Raw before Sumerslam.

It was taped at the RAW tapings but I think was shown on the "SummerSlam Spectacular - 8/22/93"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-rPYlSnW4

I recently came across this match which I'd never seen before but really enjoyed....wouldn't say its the best obviously but I thought I'd give it a mention.

That match is mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'd say it the best match I have seen Mike Rotunda in.

Finally got around to watching this as I've never seen it although have heard people rave about it a lot. I couldn't help noticing each time they climbed up how loose the WWF ropes used to compared to modern times. The match was pretty good though. I really liked how it was very different to a regular Steiner match with almost no suplexes or throws and it constantly looked like all four guys were trying to escape. The finish was really hot too. I'm not sure I'd list it as a best ever but it was very good.

It also reminded me of another match which I've never seen but always wanted to. I'm not sure if it was even taped but I saw a set of pictures in an Apter mag of The Steiners vs Bobby Eaton and Arn Anderson in a cage from 1992. I remember one series of pictures of Eaton coming off the cage with a flying body press on Rick who was sitting on Anderson's shoulders only to be caught and power slammed all the way down. Perhaps the match was rubbish but the photos made it look amazing to a 10 year old!

Archived