Best Cage Match

mackie

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the excellent Benoit/Angle match, I'd go with the Angle/Edge match from Smackdown in May 2002 and the Pre Wrestlemania 13 match between Bret and Sid that was on the Best Of Raw Volume 5 tape. That was followed by Bret doing his great heel "This Is Bullshit!" promo and pushing over Vince McMahon.

Although it was more like an angle I liked the way the Brock Lesnar vs Vince Mcmahon cage match with Kurt Angle as the special ref set up Lesnar's heel turn.As previously mentioned, Bret vs Owen was a great cage match and probably ranks up there. I also like the Cage match between CM Punk and Jeff Hardy on Smackdown in 08.

Magnum Vs Tully is a great bloody match that showcases WCW (sorry NWA) major strength over the WWF in the mid to late eighties.

Kerry Von Erich Vs Ric Flair simply because it was the genesis of the Freebird/Von Erich war!

Bret Hart Vs Owen Hart was a superb blue bar clash

I have a guilty pleasure soft spot for Rick Rude Vs The Ultimate Warrior at Summerslam 92.

A cheeky mention to War Games 92 (that match is 5 stars plus)

CM Punk Vs Jeff Hardy (Loser leaves WWE)

All these matches where great. I'm probably leaving a load out but those are the main ones that spring to mind!

Hulk Hogan vs Big Boss Man (huge bumps, Hogan keeping everyone in the palm of his hand and one of the greatest calls of all time by Schaivone "Hogan, Bossman, WHO WILL IT BE?!?!?.....IT'S HOGAN!!")

Bret Hart vs Owen Hart (forgot how good this was until I read Bret's book about it and subsequently watched this video -

New Age Outlaws vs The Hardy Boyz - Smackdown (Outlaws back body dropped Jeff out the cage early leaving Matt to fight them both for the remainder. Class little match)

The Rock vs Shamrock vs Mankind (Innovative spots and really entertaining take on the cage match)

Mankind vs Triple H (purely cause he morphed into Dude Love after dropping the elbow. Quality.)

Love Cage matches. I think the whole concept is so simple but its just the perfect way to blow-off a feud. or even to set up a new one like Flair/Von Erich on Christmas Day '82. I definitely prefer them when they are used in that manner over when they are just thrown out there for the sake of it because it looks good on TV or because a feud isn't getting over on it's own.

I like all the ones mentioned so far, to varying degrees although I found Angle/Benoit difficult to watch when I saw it. Magnum/Tully is one of my favourites ever so I'd go for that as #1.

From ones not mentioned I liked:

Tag Team:

Rick Steamboat & Jay Youngblood vs Sgt Slaughter & Don Kernodle

Speaking of Savage, he really holds that Hogan/Beefcake vs Savage/Zeus match together, and makes it a whole ton of fun. Not worth mentioning in the same breath as matches like Tully v Magnum and Flair v HHH, but it's worth checking out if not seen before.

I'd also check out Yoko vs Bret in a cage from a mid-93 California house show fancam. Really good, and smokes their match that made it to one of the "best of" home videos.

New Age Outlaws vs The Hardy Boyz - Smackdown (Outlaws back body dropped Jeff out the cage early leaving Matt to fight them both for the remainder. Class little match)

Dunno about best, but it was certainly memorable with that spot, an Matt & Roadie's moonsaults.

Good shout with Hogan/Bossman too. There's been so many good-to-very good cage matches in the WWE over the past 12 or so years, a lot of them given a way on free-Tv too, that most of them kinda blend into one another and become somewhat forgettable to me. The older ones tend to be more memorable because they were rarer, they were usually more heated and were usually the last resort to finish a big feud.

Bret/Owen at Summerslam is definitely my favourite, but I also love Piper/Rude from MSG on one of the Supertapes. It was mostly a 1990 vid, but I think that match was actually from the last couple of days in 1989. When I was little, Warrior/Rude at SS90 was the main one, but I don't like it so much today.

Tag-wise, I also really enjoyed that Steiners/Money inc one mentioned earlier, as well as one I haven't saw mentioned - Dos Hombres v the Blonds at Slamboree '93

i always liked the triple threat between the rock, shamrock and mankind

I forgot about this one, it was one the first cage matches i watched and it mixed some really good 3 way wrestling with some unique spots. Plus the ending was great way of ending the match and keeping it open for Mankind and The Rock to stay strong afterwards

Speaking of Savage, he really holds that Hogan/Beefcake vs Savage/Zeus match together, and makes it a whole ton of fun. Not worth mentioning in the same breath as matches like Tully v Magnum and Flair v HHH, but it's worth checking out if not seen

He also takes one of the most amazing cage bumps ever in this match if I remember right. He falls off the cage back first onto the top rope which sort of spins him round onto the middle rope and then down to the mat. I'm not sure I explained this well but it looks fantastic.

Archived