UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier

Rey_Piste

• Paid Members

Yeah defo FOTY for me so far, absolute batshit crazy fight.

Zombie vs Poirier

Zombie's got the title shot sewn up now, there's no one else even close. After that performance and then calling out Aldo its a no brainer. Providing Aldo beats Koch, which he should, then Aldo vs Zombie will be the biggest fight at 145 since Aldo vs Faber. Zombie's becoming a star and 145 is a division that needs them.

He did gas and round 3 wasn't pretty but you've gotta love that nutter, 100% effort. I highly doubt he'd beat Aldo but its gonna be fun to see him give it a bash. You never know with a guy like him, he's unpredictable and he seems to be really finding his rythym in there now. He's wacky and likes to brawl but make no mistake he's got power and he's a highly skilled especially on the ground no doubt about it. You don't do that to someone as dangerous as Dustin Poirier if you're just a brawler.

Great great fight. That sequence in round 2 where Zombie unleashed his strikes, then rolled through Poirier's takedown right into mount was insane. Loved the finish as well. Brilliant.

Rest of the card wasn't bad at all either.

Pokrajac vs Maldonado

This was a belter. Exactly the kind of fight we expected going in. Everytime I thought one guy was going down he'd fire back and hurt the other one. On most cards this would have got FOTN honours, I'd like to see them give these two a bonus aswell cos this deserved it. Just two tough bastards with heavy hands and solid chins going for the finish and both surviving. Some of them body shots from Maldonado were brutal, I was surprised Igor withstood a few of them.

Really good fight. I actually had it 29-28 for Maldonado myself but it wasn't a terrible decision.

Cerrone vs Stephens

Decent fight, not the war I thought it was gonna be but a good fight. I didn't expect it to be so one sided, the first round Stephens did alright but after that Cerrone had his way. Stephens still looked like he might land a bomb a couple of times late on but Cerrone looked sharp throughout. Stephens didn't just lose he got beat up. His eye was in a bad way and he took some vicious body and leg kicks. He's not gonna have a good night's sleep for at least a week.

Really good showing from Cowboy, especially coming off the loss to Nate. I'd really like to see Cerrone vs Pettis next. Been waiting for that one since the WEC days.

Tom 'Filthy Sudo' Lawlor vs Jason MacDonald

Really glad Lawlor got the win. He's shown glimpses of his power before, he was rocking Aaron Simpson all over the shop in their fight a couple of years ago. And of course KOing Dave Kaplan in the house, he can defo hit. I like MacDonald but I like Lawlor more so I'm happy with this one.

Jabouin vs Hougland

Another pretty good fight although again one sided. I thought Hougland was a gonner after that spinning back kick to the ribs, that made me fucking wince. Then dropping him again late with the left hook. Hougland's got some bollocks on him to stay in there under that punishment.

Really pleased to see Dos Anjos get an impressive win tapping out Shalorus on the prelims. Always been a fan of his since his first UFC fights. Hope he can build on this, he's had some bad breaks in the UFC would be good if he could put together a little run.

Oh yeah, were my ears playing fucking tricks on me or did Anik actually say 'he's going spastic' in the Jabouin fight? Then Florian said spazzing out later on. When did they start being allowed to say stuff like that on air? :laugh:

Really enjoyable show, I was gonna just Sky+ it and go to bed. Glad I stayed up now.

I fucking love Zombie.I picked him as well, one of my better picks. As said put him and Aldo will be a massive fight for 145lbs if Aldo gets past Koch, I would put it underneath the next Heavyweight title fight Mir vs JDS, so a big PPV audience can see it.That was fight of the year for me as well, I think it would have been over in round 2 if it had gone 10 seconds longer. Zombie has some wicked submissions, he could catch Aldo in a scramble and the fucker would not be scared to trade with Aldo either. I would pick Aldo, but I think Zombie has the heart to make it interesting, I think he would pose more of a threat than Hommnick and Florian.

• Paid Members

turned out to be a little doozy of a fight card, i loved it.* Zombie/Poirier was fucking brilliant. Jung has been a revelation in the UFC, i don't think anyone thought he'd get anywhere near these heights after his WEC stint. He seems like a new fighter and he's fighting with a lot of confidence. He has to get the next title shot, 3 fight streak and without doubt one of the most popular fighters at 145. The way he faded in round 3 was pretty alarming and they were talking about a struggle with the weight cut but i think a fight with Aldo needs to happen.Shame to see Poirier lose, he seemed like he took it pretty hard in the post fight interview. Still a young kid, he'll no doubt be back in contention again.* Maldonado/Pokrajac was awesome too, any other night it probably would have taken FOTN, it was as predicted, two granite tough muthafuckers punching fuck out of each other. I love Maldonado's style, it's like he's willing to eat shots to get his body attack off and it's f'n brutal, the dude is nails. I scored it 29-28 for Fabio, not sure how one judge scored it 30-27 for Igor (i gave him round 1). There wasn't much uproar seemingly because the fight was so good. I'd like to see a rematch, Maldonado is pissed.* Sadollah/Lopez just kinda happened. I don't necessarily think Amir's got any better since TUF, his fights always look the same. I like the dude but it just seems like he's destined to stay at mid-card level, he doesn't have that certain something to take him up to the next level.* Quick note, Jason McDonald retired after his KO loss to Lawlor, he was planning on going out after the next Canadian show, but he retired after the loss. Sad to see him go, his last UFC run was probably a bit unwarranted but he had a good run.

• Paid Members

Yeah 30-27 Pokrajac was bollocks. I also had it 29-28 for Fabio but I can see 2 rounds for Igor in there, not all 3 though. I defo gave Maldonado round 1. Pretty tight to score the 2nd and 3rd for me though, everytime one would land something the other would fire back. Thought Fabio did more damage in them rounds overall though. Loved that fight.

That main event was amazing. The Korean Zombie never disappoints. I usually watch UFC shows the next day but if Aldo/Korean Zombie gets made i'll be staying up to watch live for sure. What a fight that would be.

Archived