The 100 Best Horror Films Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Talking of horrror films that do a good job of buolding suspense, which are light on scares, but it all comes to a great conclusion I would have to put out the film House Of The Devil.
The film is about 3 years old, but it's based in the 80's and if you didn't know otherwise you could easily mistake for a cleaned up print of a film from that decade. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, but it is a film that needs your attention, my girlfriend was bored with it and spent most of the film dicking about with her phone.

House of the Devil is lovely - the screeners were sent out in giant clamshell VHS cases, which I would absolutely love (I love collecting ephemera like that, one day I'll have somewhere to put it, along with my Floyd Mayweather Wrestlemania money, and "How to be a Successful Model" by Viju Krem, the ballerina from Bloodsucking Freaks). Ti West did direct The Roost, though, which I was really looking forward to, but which was pretty weak.

Anyone seen Trick 'r' Treat?

The point still stands though, especially about the mystique. Take The Cabin In The Woods for example. Right now, we are all being implored by word of mouth not to say anything. Even today in work I was talking about it and I stopped myself because regardless of my feelings on the film (I like it but I'm not as blown away by it as many seem to be) I figure my colleagues should go in with as little knowledge as possible. Back with Blair Witch I actually read about it in fucking Heat magazine, back in its early run long before it turned into 'OMG LOOK AT HOW FAT LAUREN FROM TOWIE IS! THE DISGUSTING BITCH!!' and actually had features about films (not very good ones of course). Anyways, long story short, they had a small preview of Blair Witch and some shots from the film and just that little amount pulled me in and made me go to see it. If it came out now? Christ. I dread to think.

Well there hasnt been many recent horror movies that i have liked im quite picky but one that stuck in my mind that ive actually watched twice is lake mungo now although its not as scary as u may think it was quite creepy in my eyes and for asian horror i am pretty much on top of it all although im behind they are all in my watch pile my recent couple i enjoyed were:

Yoga & the wig and a indonesian gem called macabre that was a tour de force indeed

Just the word 'lake' there jarred me into something I read earlier in the thread but forgot to comment on. I have a bone to pick with d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-dAz, much as I love the little scamp.

Eden Lake is a lazy, reprehensible piece of shit.

Yeah lake mungo is well worth a sitting ive seen a few horrors here and there not all worth a comment really house of the devil had the lovely 80s satantic feel to it i watched the free to all internet movie the tunnel also about 3 weeks ago and im not certain oncthe whole film really whilst watching grave encouters which was brilliant but the tunnel i felt it was just missing something ?

• Paid Members
Has anyone seen the Spanish short film La Cabina? One of the nastiest stings in the tail you'll ever see.

The whole last scene of that movie is perfect. Like a really sinister episode of The Twilight Zone

I was really disappointed by it. I remember CHUD.com hyping it up for years before it ever got a release, so I was expecting it to be incredible. But I just found it very nothingy. It was like The Lost Boys without any of the magic.

• Paid Members
Has anyone seen the Spanish short film La Cabina? One of the nastiest stings in the tail you'll ever see.

The whole last scene of that movie is perfect. Like a really sinister episode of The Twilight Zone

I really like the Twilight Zone comparison, it would be perfectly suited to an adaptation if there was a horror anthology show like that currently on TV.

If there is and I've just not noticed it please do inform me.

• Moderators

I was really disappointed by it. I remember CHUD.com hyping it up for years before it ever got a release, so I was expecting it to be incredible. But I just found it very nothingy. It was like The Lost Boys without any of the magic.

I don't see any similarity with Lost Boys at all. It's a three-tale anthology piece, like a better Tales from the Crypt, or Creepshow, and that's the kind of tone it's going for too, like a living comic book. I'm not getting your comparison so hard I'm wondering if you even have the right film.

Archived