The Grand National 2012

kev2050

I heard on 5live that he completed the race but died afterwards. I also can't find any other source for this but thats what I heard, I hope I am wrong.

Bummer, cant find anything either and its not showing up on a site that is related to horse related deaths ( Yes, such a thing does exist and no, I'm not the grim reaper)

He looked knackered about 1/2 round and faded off quite alot towards the end. Could just be exhaustion?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JFFC, was it you who worked for a bookie?

Aye, that would be me, manager of a Betfreds now after they bought out Totesport.

Just got done from a lovely 14 hour shift and back in tomrrow for just the 13 hour shift. YAY!

Hope everyone enjoyed the race, as for the unfortunate deaths its a massive shame we wont be able to see Synchronised defend his Gold Cup crown, but as Nicholls said after the race, there are risks in every day life, be it Football with Muamba or our own personal lives, these horses genuinly love what they do and the risks associated with it.

these horses genuinly love what they do and the risks associated with it.

Genuine question, but how is this known?

Exactly, by that reasoning all horses are sado-masachists if they enjoy being whipped repeatedly.

• Moderators

Same way that dog owners know that dogs are happy, I'd imagine. Kept in more than fine conditions, and regularly exercised is certainly something I can see an animal like a horse enjoying.

Same way that dog owners know that dogs are happy, I'd imagine. Kept in more than fine conditions, and regularly exercised is certainly something I can see an animal like a horse enjoying.

It was the "love what they do and the risks associated with it" bit that confused me though.

It makes it sound like horses are extreme sports fans who are well aware (and happy with the fact) that they might end up dead if they screw up.

I don't doubt for a second that owners love and look after their horses very well, but they still get put into races where there is a chance of death. I don't imagine the horses are aware of that fact, and I'd assume like any animal they'd rather not be put into a risky, life-threatening situation.

• Paid Members

I had a feeling a grey would win so I placed a bet on Chicago Grey instead. Always so sad to hear about deaths of horses, Synchronised just knew what was coming I'm sure, the poor blighter.

Exactly, by that reasoning all horses are sado-masachists if they enjoy being whipped repeatedly.

Are you a vegetarian? If you are then I understand your argument. If not, then I will say that all racehorses are treated better than any cow, pig or sheep that you will have ever eaten.

If the horses didn't enjoy it, then why would loose horses who have unseated their rider continue to run the course? Surely they'd just stop and go for a piss instead.

I noticed that yesterday too and thought about it, I can understand why they carry on running what with the adrenaline and following the other horses etc but they still jumped the fences, even when the jockeys had to avoid one jump because of a fallen horse the free horses carried on and jumped it instead of following the pack around it.

Archived