Oz

HeavyT

• Moderators

I'm rewatching this right now for the first time in years. Anyone from the really early days of the UKFF might remember how utterly obsessed I was with Oz. Crazy-era Beecher was my avatar forever, and I watched it constantly. It was my go-to thing when I was bored. But I thought I'd just not watch it for a while, so I could look at it with fresh eyes again someday. I am now in that someday.

The first thing that hits you, having seen a bunch of great episodic TV since, is how fast it is. The pacing doesn't give a single wasted moment, and massive moments are set up from scratch and paid off within minutes. In the wake of the TV that followed, it feels also quite weird - but awesome - structurally. With other TV shows you can say "Oh, that's X episode, where they Y," but there are so many characters and so many story threads, with each getting equal screentime, that it almost plays like an interlinking series of sketches.

Part of me worried a little that I was basically an uncultured oaf when I first obsessed with it, and that in hindsight, with The Wire, Breaking Bad, Lost, Spartacus, Deadwood et al behind me now, I might not love it as much. No worries though, it's still my favourite program ever.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thought of this last night while watching a show about the old public information films, with the host claiming one of them was the most powerful anti-drink driving footage ever shown. Nope, that would be Oz season one.

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

So i'm two episodes away from finishing OZ and decided to not read this thread until im done.

I have a question though and it will irritate me if it doesn't get answered in the last two episodes. When Cyril is due to get executed (They should of gone through with it. It was building up brilliantly and i wouldn't of been surprised if it got me to shed a tear.) why do all the prisoners go inside their pods and bang?

• Paid Members

Yeah it's a show of protest/solidarity. That bit gets me choked up like no other TV/film moment ever has before, and I think them not going through with it made it more effective because you have to go through all the build up with them and then feel at a loss when it doesn't happen. I think it gets across just how psychologically and emotionally twisted the idea of an execution date and a last minute stay of execution are.

• Paid Members

I didn't like the last minute save for Cyril.

They built it up beautifully nearly had me in tears and job lot then 60's batman phone goes off.

Plus the second time round lost it's impact on me.

I still think the Riot episode is one if not the best episode of TV i have ever seen.

• 8 months later...
  • Paid Members

nearing the end of Season 2, im enjoying but it's nothing like i expected. The whole Oz prison set-up with the glass panels and stuff took a while to get used too. The other problem i have with it is, every actor in it i know as another popular character from another show, i know Oz came before all the stuff i know them from but it's destracting...there's also not a 'decent' character in the show, everyone is a right horrible prick, there's no one to love :laugh: I thought Beecher was gonna be the one but he ended up taking a dump on JK Simmons head.

I stalled at the start of S3, but I'm going to go back to it. I think as long as you watch it as an allegory, it's hugely entertaining. It's like a huge greek tragedy set in a prison. When I first watched it I thought it was some hard-hitting, close-to-reality series but now I can see how utterly over-the-top and insane it is. And all the more brilliant for it.I agree that the riot was the high point though.The best thing about Oz is that it's clearly structured like pro-wrestling. At any given point you have faces and heels feuding. New talent is introduced through the bottom and works its way up to the top. Periodically the top stars will turn, such as Beecher turning heel in series 2, therefore allowing him to feud with faces instead. Your main eventers are Beecher, Shillinger and Omar but others rise to the top as well. And watching over it all is Vince McManus, playing with the roster and occasionally taking a Stunner for his troubles.

2nd series. Schillinger turns face briefly as he's trying to get parole so he can look after his kids, so Beechers turns heel to feud with him.

I guess tweener is fair, but then he also does this:

• Moderators

2nd series. Schillinger turns face briefly as he's trying to get parole so he can look after his kids, so Beechers turns heel to feud with him.I guess tweener is fair, but then he also does this:

That doesn't make him a heel, Metzger's one of the worst motherfuckers they ever had in Oz. He's the one who let Vern and Keller break Beecher's arms and legs, and stood there and laughed while they did it, and he choked Busmalis unconscious and pushed him down the stairs. Busmalis! Good riddance to the Aryan fuck.

Archived