Oz

HeavyT

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Ageing drugs in exchange for parole/time served. My, my.

Everyone cites that in every Oz discussion ever, but it's only the one really stupid plotline in a show that ran for 6 seasons, and takes up about 5 minutes of screentime in total. We got one cool death out of it, although the fact Cyril's hair loses the grey overnight is hilarious.

• Moderators
Was pretty damn stupid yeah, and they arwe pretty inosistent with sentencing too.

Oz was never about the realism. People quibble over the unrealistic stuff, but it was basically a big, bombastic Greek tragedy, played to the balcony. There's a narrator, and Shakespearean murder schemes - that's why the finale, particularly to the Beecher/Shillinger/Keller storyline, was such a fitting out.

Was pretty damn stupid yeah, and they arwe pretty inosistent with sentencing too.

Oz was never about the realism. People quibble over the unrealistic stuff, but it was basically a big, bombastic Greek tragedy, played to the balcony. There's a narrator, and Shakespearean murder schemes - that's why the finale, particularly to the Beecher/Shillinger/Keller storyline, was such a fitting out.

Thats a pretty good analogy, never thought of it that way. Going to give the whole thing a second watch in a few months, gonna get it for my DVd collection.

I think the inconsistency in sentencing is pretty in keeping with the american criminal justice system anyway, so that never bothered me. The ageing drug part, as someone said, was the only REALLY ridiculous part, and it's no more ridiculous than sleeping draughts and so on in shakespearian tragedies, IMHO.

You're right, Woy. I'm busy watching my way through the series (into S2 at the moment) and contrary to my memories, it's not really trying to be a realistic depiction of prison life, it's a huge Shakespearean drama. They even got Mercutio from R&J to be the narrator.

• Paid Members
Ageing drugs in exchange for parole/time served. My, my.

Everyone cites that in every Oz discussion ever, but it's only the one really stupid plotline in a show that ran for 6 seasons, and takes up about 5 minutes of screentime in total. We got one cool death out of it, although the fact Cyril's hair loses the grey overnight is hilarious.

I would say the prison fashion show was pretty fucking stupid.

I'm not going to say things were unrealistic (Oz was never realistic) but many of the latter stories were garbage. The guy who kills Said and him and Omar White's discussions on the universe, the tranny with the new drug that tries to fuck Alvarez, the Chinese refugees and the IRA guy, I'd say every episode from season 4.5 featured 50% greatness and 50% shite. Plenty of the storylines just dragged on and on.

Yep. I said this in the last thread, Oz was all one big Grecian-cum-Shakespearian tragedy. The last episode is even called Exeunt Omnes.

On the ageing drug, I think they were trying to ask fundamental questions about retribution vs. rehabilitation, the function of incarceration and all that ish. But halfway through they realised it was hokey bullshit so they binned it off.

I can't link just now but google 'grantland smacketology'. Oz is one of the few other programmes you could do something like that for, boss ensemble cast. We could just do our own Wire one.

One of my favorite shows of all time. I rewatched the first episode a few months ago and had forgotten hoe different Tim looked back then before the goatee and when he had more of a slacker look which would become the norm for him after a few episodes. IIRC the camera angles were quite lob-sided and gave it the feeling of Schumacher's Batman films. There's just a shit-ton of actors in it that went on to do big things. It's like the dramatic version of SNL but with rape, racism and violence. There's way too many great moments I remember but I fully agree that Adebesi may be one of my favorite television characters ever. I remember watching the Beecher/Schillinger stuff and thinking that this is what a great wrestling feud should be like in terms of character arc and long-term interaction, drawing in other characters and such like Dreamer has said of his feud with Raven.

I'm not going to say things were unrealistic (Oz was never realistic) but many of the latter stories were garbage. The guy who kills Said and him and Omar White's discussions on the universe, the tranny with the new drug that tries to fuck Alvarez, the Chinese refugees and the IRA guy, I'd say every episode from season 4.5 featured 50% greatness and 50% shite. Plenty of the storylines just dragged on and on.

Right there, you just described tons of the shit I hated. I almost thought the bit where the preacher's body dissapeared was to be implied he had "descended to heaven", it wasnt even mentioned until the last episode. Why did the priest leave the body where it was? fear for his life from the bikers? I know I seem a bit vague on details, but I would literally watch 4 episodes a night whle surfing the web. It really did feel like some sort of play, but I liked the style, and I really liked Augustus Hill.

• Moderators

Schillinger has a lovely Baritone voice. Far better a voice than Beecher.

S5 Spoiler video

Massive S6 spoiler in the spoiler box.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I'll never forgive Oz for the Cyril bait and switch. Probably the only time I've cried watching a moving picture not called Watership Down, and they fucked it off. Horrible. Joan Armatrading and everything.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Anyway, I think I discussed this with Woy in chat in the past, but Oz is wrestling at it's best. All it lacks is matches.

They should switch heel/face positions and have Sheamus make Bryan his "bitch", forcing him to wear make up, have him walk funny on the way down to the ring and stuff. Then have Bryan just lose it and after delivering a chair shot to the big ginger's head on the outside, have him squat on the announce table and take a dump in Sheamus' face shouting "YES!" , thus beginning there seemingly ever ending feud.

Sounds like a hell of a wrestling storyline eh boys?

Archived