Could WWE get away with a Re-boot project?

Jason Mayhem

• Moderators
I fully agree - Mr Perfect will always be in everyones eyes Curt Hennig and as a result you can't put someone else in that role - if you do then it becomes like an All Star tribute show. There's certain things you can get away with tho - I'd love to see a new version of say Demoliton, new individual names, ramp the costumes up a bit for the modern day but call them the New Demolition. Same format, two hard bastards in facepaint and bondage gear, but with two new characters. Just carrying on the legacy. In the same way you could probably do a New British Bulldogs. It kinda worked with the New Hart Foundation and quite frankly it could really help the awful tag team situation WWE is in right now.

He's right, "New" tagteams have a proven track record. "New" Foundation, "New" Rockers, "New" Midnight Express, "New" Blackjacks - all fondly remembered teams.

I love The New Blackjacks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a Demolition-ish tag team in this day and age. I think, though, that Ax owns the rights to the Demolition name (and possibly the music?) and he is not on good terms with WWE, hence their history being ignored.

there's a lot of good examples in this thread of why it wouldn't work - fake diesel and razor ramon were embaressing - fans did not buy into them at all, it seemed like a desperation act by WWF

I think the new rockers / blackjacks etc. failed as they were trying to replace one member, or were a tribute to the original with no overt link to the past team

I like the idea of a new demolition - I think that could work, but would want to see ax or smash as manager, to give that link to the original team. Packaged as the sons of demolition?

Struggling to think of an example where this worked, best I can come up with is Hillbilly Jim with Henry & Phineas Godwin

there's a lot of good examples in this thread of why it wouldn't work - fake diesel and razor ramon were embaressing - fans did not buy into them at all, it seemed like a desperation act by WWF

I think the new rockers / blackjacks etc. failed as they were trying to replace one member, or were a tribute to the original with no overt link to the past team

I like the idea of a new demolition - I think that could work, but would want to see ax or smash as manager, to give that link to the original team. Packaged as the sons of demolition?

Struggling to think of an example where this worked, best I can come up with is Hillbilly Jim with Henry & Phineas Godwin

I am not quite sure what point you're making here, if they dont replace one member or are a tribute to the original with no link to the past team surely the only other option is to reform the team with the original members and therefore arent a new anything. I dont mean to be arsey, am I missing your point or is there not one there?

edit: forgot to add - the OP is one of the stupidest ideas ever

I am not quite sure what point you're making here, if they dont replace one member or are a tribute to the original with no link to the past team surely the only other option is to reform the team with the original members and therefore arent a new anything. I dont mean to be arsey, am I missing your point or is there not one there?

More than likely, its been a long day. Not as great an example as fake razor and diesel.

I guess I'm saying in the new rockers example, would they have been a more successful team if they were had not chosen the new rockers gimmick or name, and gone with something new?

Regardless, I'd still like to see a new demolition

Another reason it wouldn't work with good characters is that WWE is extremely proud of their history, and they reference superstars from years gone by a hell of a lot (it's one of the things I admire most about WWE actually). But unless you had a full reboot of the company, which obviously would be a terrible idea and would never happen for so many reasons, you wouldn't be able to reboot characters without severely damaging the good work that older guys (most of which are still with the company in one way or another) had laid, or tarnishing the memory of guys that aren't around anymore.

Proud of their history eh? So they'd never try and doctor it or obsfucate certain incidents?

Do they have to be proud of ALL of their history for it to be true? No, I don't think so.

When was the last time Davey Richards referenced his shit Dynamite Kid impression without the ring psychology?

• Paid Members

Well, I think mits been mentioned earlier in thread in the shape of All Star, but a lot of Brit Wres orgs tend to draw crowds with screaming headlines of 'The UK Undertaker' or 'The English Bulldogs' & such like, while I appreciate a lot of the promoters on here these days put on events with emerging and established talent, there's still a bunch of them appearing in local towns with their reboots of WWE wrestlers, but slightly altered to avoid copyright theft.

I know what you mean with those points, I think it happens a lot less than 10 years ago but it still happens. I thought you might mean a lot of UK talent rip off WWE stars and a lot do but some are very original and unique

Another reason it wouldn't work with good characters is that WWE is extremely proud of their history, and they reference superstars from years gone by a hell of a lot (it's one of the things I admire most about WWE actually). But unless you had a full reboot of the company, which obviously would be a terrible idea and would never happen for so many reasons, you wouldn't be able to reboot characters without severely damaging the good work that older guys (most of which are still with the company in one way or another) had laid, or tarnishing the memory of guys that aren't around anymore.

Proud of their history eh? So they'd never try and doctor it or obsfucate certain incidents?

Bore off, useless dickhead.

• Paid Members
I fully agree - Mr Perfect will always be in everyones eyes Curt Hennig and as a result you can't put someone else in that role - if you do then it becomes like an All Star tribute show. There's certain things you can get away with tho - I'd love to see a new version of say Demoliton, new individual names, ramp the costumes up a bit for the modern day but call them the New Demolition. Same format, two hard bastards in facepaint and bondage gear, but with two new characters. Just carrying on the legacy. In the same way you could probably do a New British Bulldogs. It kinda worked with the New Hart Foundation and quite frankly it could really help the awful tag team situation WWE is in right now.

He's right, "New" tagteams have a proven track record. "New" Foundation, "New" Rockers, "New" Midnight Express, "New" Blackjacks - all fondly remembered teams.

"New" Age Outlaws

Archived