WWE Raw 2nd April 2012 Discussion *SPOILERS*

I Just watched Raw, and really enjoyed it! The crowd were really into YES!, which was hilarious all night. I hope is carries on.

Punk Vs Henry was a GREAT match - superbly structured and the fact that WWE respected the match to have Jericho run in after the bell, was a tribute to not only how good Punk is, but also how much Henry has improved over the past year.

So happy to see Brodus doing something a little more than just squash and dancing - he is HUGE, and needs to be used in more than just a comic relief aspect.

I enjoyed the Lord Tensai piece, although he still is not a crisp worker - The "Crush" claw is back and Riley soled it superbly. He needs to to have a breakout year!

Now onto the main event, which in my opinion the crowd completely ruined. Cena need to get his heat, and was playing the crowd to perfection, UNTIL the "we want Lesnar" chants. I had hoped (in vain) that Cena would finally turn on the fans - but alas, it may not happen. I mean if the Rock can't get him to do it, then i think it might be a while before it truly happens. Lesnar looked a little out of wrestling shape - he might be in MMA shape, but if he is going to compete in ring, then he needs to tone up a little. The F5 was sweet, and a reminder of one of the greatest finishing moves in history.

Looking forward to see where this goes, and how WWE use Lesnar!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda liked the fact Cena didn't fight out of the F5 and was paraded around like a little bitch for several seconds before he got planted. Just emphasised his shock at Lesnar's return, and Brock's complete physical dominance, which is a good move considering a decent chunk of the modern audience probably won't know him that well (at least as a pro wrestler) - it has been eight years after all. Particularly good in front of a crowd that loved seeing Cena owned, to cap off the worst 24 hours of his character's life, on the end of a pretty rough year so far all round. I expect Cena being made to look so weak is leading somewhere in the long term, though I'd still be surprised if the payoff is a heel turn. Unless they have a lot more faith in Punk as a top face than I imagine them to.

Lord Tensai was fucking awesome, though Riley being used *literally* as enhancement talent is a slap in the face to The Miz after the tremendous job he did getting the guy over in 2011. What a waste that whole storyline was if they had no plans for Riley afterwards. It was nice that the Train got 'welcome back' chants and a good response all round - good idea debuting him in front of the post-Mania crowd made up of more hardcore longterm fans than your average episode of Raw, and more likely to remember him.

I hope The Rock's talk of going after the WWE title wasn't just hot air. A title run for him would gain WWE a lot of mainstream attention, and potentially be really interesting TV.

I've just watched it back (for the 406th time) and I didn't realise at the time (mainly because the director was having a fucking 'mare and didn't close in at the right times) but after splatting Cena, Brock kept mouthing 'I've been waiting a long time, I've been waiting a long ass time...'

I presume they're going to do a 'I made you who you are, your finisher was even named after mine to begin with; now look at you, you're a spaz' sort of story...

Oh, and a "YES!" chant happened during the Miami Heat game last night, apparently.

Supposed to have been one as well at the Impact Wrestling tapings as well.

• Paid Members
D-Bry addresses the crowd after Raw:
!

And the post-raw dark match of Orton/Big Show/Sheamus vs Kane/Cody Rhodes/Daniel Bryan:

"Fuck you Cena" chants clearly audible there, I know this was a hot crowd, but has he ever had a WWE crowd chant that to him before? (Excluding ONS). I bet Vince was thankful they didn't get that on TV.

• Paid Members

I was going to mention Punk VS Menry too, that was really good. I'd actually love to see these two in a feud now.. The entire show was brilliant top to bottom, one of the very few I didn't fast forward at any time. Brock turned me into a mark again.

!

And the post-raw dark match of Orton/Big Show/Sheamus vs Kane/Cody Rhodes/Daniel Bryan:

"Fuck you Cena" chants clearly audible there, I know this was a hot crowd, but has he ever had a WWE crowd chant that to him before? (Excluding ONS). I bet Vince was thankful they didn't get that on TV.

Cena got a ton of crap against Triple H at Wrestlemania one year can't remember if "fuck you Cena" was one of the chants or not though.

My one gripe with the show was that the Jericho/Punk angle was so good that it should have been on the go home show for Wrestlemania rather than the "you are a bastard" segment they went with. Feels like a shame that the story really picked up a notch the night after Mania.

I loved everything about Brock's return. At the time it looked to me as though he was nervous, something he wouldn't be if he was only there for a pay day. The fact that Cena didn't fight back to me conveyed a sense of "fuck it." Almost as though he was thinking "is this what life is going to be like while I try to do the right thing? Am I just going to get walked over by every guy who has put himself first?" He just stared at the canvas while up on Brock's shoulders and next week they need to have him explain what was going through his head at the time.

I know I am probably reading too much into it but it really helped my enjoyment of the segment

!

Cena got a ton of crap against Triple H at Wrestlemania one year can't remember if "fuck you Cena" was one of the chants or not though.

It was.

My one gripe with the show was that the Jericho/Punk angle was so good that it should have been on the go home show for Wrestlemania rather than the "you are a bastard" segment they went with. Feels like a shame that the story really picked up a notch the night after Mania.

They've done the angle at exactly the right time.

There's way more pressure to deliver now then there was before Wrestlemania. Unless Brock's return is going to be at Extreme Rules (surely not...?) then Jericho/Punk is looking likely to be the lead feud going into that show whereas before 'Mania they had two feuds miles ahead of them carrying the weight of the show. Had they spiced the angle up with something like this the week before 'Mania they wouldn't have got anyone to buy the show who wasn't already, whereas now they need to be the ones that encourage people to part money for the next show...

Fair play to Daniel Bryan - does anyone really want to see del Rio vs Sheamus for the title, instead of a proper match between Bryan and Sheamus

His treatment of AJ in this clip was awful but in character. If they could just give AJ more mic time and treatment like this on screen to make her more popular and a sympathetic character, they could be the macho and elizabeth of this generation

It's great having Lesnar back as well. I will really have to suspend my disbelief when he fights Cena, a former UFC champ being rocked by Cena's standard offence just doesn't feel right

I hope the Rock fued and intro of Lesnar will permanently dispel any talk of turning Cena heel - he is fine as he is being a hero to the young fans and a heel to their parents / old fans. Lesnar can easily be cast in the opposite role for both audiences, as CM Punk was last year

The past weeks shows have got me interested again, and wondering about what the brand draft will bring to mix it up some more

They've done the angle at exactly the right time.

There's way more pressure to deliver now then there was before Wrestlemania. Unless Brock's return is going to be at Extreme Rules (surely not...?) then Jericho/Punk is looking likely to be the lead feud going into that show whereas before 'Mania they had two feuds miles ahead of them carrying the weight of the show. Had they spiced the angle up with something like this the week before 'Mania they wouldn't have got anyone to buy the show who wasn't already, whereas now they need to be the ones that encourage people to part money for the next show...

Yeah I see your point and I guess it opens the option for a violent gimmick re-match. I suppose didn't really think about the bigger picture from outside those two men. But still it is a pretty huge jump in quality from last week's episode for those two

So, off the back of a fantastic Wrestlemania, WWE are still able to have The Rock hint at sticking around on and off this year, introduce Lord Tensai, bring back Alberto Del Rio AND re-debut Brock Lesnar..

It's a good time to be a WWE fan that's all I can say! The crowd were HOT all throughout and have probably made "YES" the new "WHAT?" in the space of 1 night.

TNA are probably thinking " Oh for fucks sake" right about now. WWE are in a completely different stratosphere currently and if the momentum and good heat can continue then it's going to be one hell of a good year!

Archived