22 years ago today

nicholasjackson

22 years ago hogan and warrior clashed over the wwf title in toronto at wrestlemania 6, im a massive warrior fan and always pisses me off watching the ending of the ppview, people always blame hogan for stealing limelight back but the wwf production team shouldve kept camera off hogan after the belt handover, crowd were pretty much split, the way warrior won was good with the kick outs of each others finisher and the big splash for the 1-2-3

and you cant forget the real "clothesline from hell" barbarian on tito santana

demolition three-peating, andre face turn, never seen rick rude so ripped

what are your thoughts on this historic ppview?

even though the powers of pain had run their course they still made big thing of them being split up and sold in the february, now they would just say "oh fuji sold barbarian to the brain" as he came out for a match, even minor stuff meant something in those days, why i only watch old stuff nowadays, cant do links, someone please link the end of the "ultimate challenge " match and the barbarian clothesline please?

even though the powers of pain had run their course they still made big thing of them being split up and sold in the february, now they would just say "oh fuji sold barbarian to the brain" as he came out for a match, even minor stuff meant something in those days, why i only watch old stuff nowadays, cant do links, someone please link the end of the "ultimate challenge " match and the barbarian clothesline please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDosZwBe-D8 - if you to around 7.45 into that video the finish is on there

Barbarian v Tito - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEmwMUJ_ds

22 years ago hogan and warrior clashed over the wwf title in toronto at wrestlemania 6, im a massive warrior fan and always pisses me off watching the ending of the ppview, people always blame hogan for stealing limelight back but the wwf production team shouldve kept camera off hogan after the belt handover, crowd were pretty much split, the way warrior won was good with the kick outs of each others finisher and the big splash for the 1-2-3

and you cant forget the real "clothesline from hell" barbarian on tito santana

demolition three-peating, andre face turn, never seen rick rude so ripped

what are your thoughts on this historic ppview?

If it pisses you off watching the end of the ppv then you are a mug. It's over hyped the way Hogan steals the spotlight. My lasting memory of the ppv is Warrior holding the 2 belts with the fireworks going off in the background. People only now over analayse the ending because what they have read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDosZwBe-D8 - if you to around 7.45 into that video the finish is on there

Barbarian v Tito - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEmwMUJ_ds

Watching that clothesline again classic,I felt tito's pain,with his build and Heenan as manager they really could've had a monster heel on their hands then,he should've took hogan out instead of quake

• Paid Members

I was firmly on Team Warrior at the time, he was my favourite wrestler by far as a kid.

I was probably the opposite to most fans with Hogan. When everyone bummed him in the 80s/90s I wasn't that arsed, I liked him but I was more into Warrior and Bret Hart and Sting/Steiners in WCW. I didn't really get into Hogan until the NWO stuff in WCW and from then on I always liked him after that. Even when he turned back babyface then he just seemed cooler to me.

That match in 1990 was really well done. Haven't seen it in fucking ages so I don't know what I'd think of it now but there's no denying they made a really good match and story out of it. The split in crowd support was probably as close to 50/50 as there ever was or will be, unless something I haven't seen in recent years has topped it which I doubt. Even with Rock/Austin one usually turned heel or at least the heel/face divide wasn't so black and white by then.

To me the handing over of the belt was brilliant when I first saw it, something which Id never seen before as never really watched a face vs face match and it was like Hogan was telling the split crowd that Warrior deserved it, he was the better man and cheer him.

The video with Scott Hall & Larry Zbyszko watching and critiquing the main event really exposed how Hogan carried the whole match and how poor a worker Warrior was IMO.

And I was a warrior fan at the time of the match, I saw Hogan as some old man. I'd have never believe you if you'd told me he was 36 at the time of the match. I thought he was in his 50s at least.

• Paid Members

Pat Patterson deserves the most credit in the WrestleMania VI main event. Hogan, Warrior and Patterson went over that match (in oil and bow ties, if rumours are to be believed) for weeks before the PPV. TNA is proof of how a world class finish man can make or break a promotion. TNA has a roster filled with world class talent who regularly has their bouts butchered by morons like Simon Diamond and Al Snow. If the Attitude era didnt have Pat Patterson, its not hard to see those gimmick matches falling apart. Its one of WWE's strengths these days. TNA has former ECW relics telling the likes of Sting what to do. WWE has Arn, Pat, Steamboat, Hayes, Jamie Noble, Fit Finlay and those types.

Hogan and Warrior deserve credit for being the ones in their, but its fairly well known Pat came up with 90% of the match. Maybe one of the reasons Hogan's matches took a massive dip in quality when he joined WCW.

I was memerised by this back in 90, as this had that legit 'big event' feel to it. I still think it holds up really well now.

Looking back im surprised at all the 'Hogan stole the moment sh*t' that seems to grow every year or every time its mentioned. I think it was far from the career 'damager' its been made out to be. The bottom line is that by default Hogan with his "ahem" values, promos and look appealed to a wider demographic than Warrior's and tgats why he was more successful.

I was a huge Warrior mark at the time tho, and think he doesnt get the props he should. I read somewhere that up 91 when he f****d off he was only 2nd in merchandise sales to Hogan, and his Warrior video was the highest wwf video seller in the Uk, so he was doing something right

Archived