Re-Booking Thread - Year 2001

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure on date, but it wasnt a full episode they did WCW matches and had "WCW Commentators" Scott Hudson and Arn Anderson plus they changed a few signs and the titan tron to have WCW on it. heres a link to the infamous Booker T Vs Buff Bagwell match

is amazing to think with all the pyro they give buff making him look a big deal that he fucked up so quickly

Pretty sure they just did that match, and the other match on Smackdown and that was it for the wcw experiment, it'd be around the time of the invasion PPV as well as Austin is still with the WWF. Reckon this would of been in June.

• Paid Members

Can anyone give me dates roughly from when the Invasion started? I know it all ended at Survivor Series 2001 but I wasn't watching wrestling at the time and wouldn't mind downloading it to see it.

Without looking it up I couldn't tell you. Either Lance Storm or Mike Awesome were the first invadors, and i would place their debuts in early June (at a guess). Booker ran in at King Of The Ring, and then in a skit where Angle and Austin went to WWF New York leaving Vince alone in the arena and Booker hit him with the Axe Kick. These are all hazy memories. If King Of The Ring was late June and Backlash last April, it probably places the Booker/Buff match in the last week of April/first week of May, and then the early Invadors inearly to late May (at a guess).

As for the thread title, what sort of contract did Bischoff have (if any) with Time Warner? I'd hazard a guess at none, as he had tried to buy the company in February. In which case, I'll have Shane appearing on Nitro as happened and then reveal at the Invasion PPV that Uncle Eric was the mastermind behind the whole thing - and his appearance at that event leads to WCW winning the Inaugural Brawl and gaining control of Smackdown, and later Raw somehow. This would lead to the final showdown at Wrestlemania 18 further down the line.

The sad fact about the invasion and 2001 for me is not that WWE didnt go and open there wallet for Goldberg, Flair Nash etc its that in the 16 Months after the storyline finished the following all debuted

In order of appearance

Flair - The Night After Survivor Series

Hogan Hall Nash - February 2002

Scott Steiner - 1 Year Later

Goldberg - April 2003

Not to mention that others could have got better in developmental or house shows. Some could have been on TV and turned and the shit that needed clearing would have been gone. Small developments could have kept the sotry buzzing and the Invasion could of and in my opinion should of started at Survivor Series not The Summer. HHH and Benoit would have been back & the shitness that was the first few months of the brand extension would have been gone! You could of at a push had the story go on from SS01 to WM 19 with once the WWE have one goldberg appears if you couldnt get him sooner

it probably places the Booker/Buff match in the last week of April/first week of May, and then the early Invadors inearly to late May (at a guess).

Booker vs. Bagwell was July 2nd according to the video posted above. The commentators also talk about the Inagural Brawl in "two weeks time" aswell as all the stuff that went on at King of the Ring.

Tbh I wouldnt do much different other than remove the McMahon's, especially Steph from the story line. The rest of it was really good, for me anyway. The whole thing didnt need to become a family feud and a massive ego trip, overshadowing the rest.

I appreciate that Vince had finally won, and was going to emphasise that, but much of what made it fail was fans having unrealistic expectations of Dream Matches, straight off the bat and then shoehorning Steph into the mix with the ECW thing. It diluted it somewhat and helped people already pissed that they werent going to get Sting vs Undertaker etc, piss on it even more. Aside from odd burial which was to be expected, there wasnt much actually wrong with it.

As for the rest of the stuff, Jericho or RVD could have been the undisputed winner if they wanted to go somewhere new in 2002, even though the latter wasnt brilliant he was certainly getting the reactions and could have lead to something different than the NWO thing the next year.

I wouldn't have brought ECW in, or if I did I wouldn't of had Stephanie running it, maybe Heyman.

I'd have had WCW win the Survivor Series match and completely re-brand the next 'Nitro'. Would have been an interesting watch. You could have gradually brought in WWE guys over the next few months to try and take back the company. Would have prolonged the angle too.

• Paid Members

WWF could have with the wrestlers say so. WWF would have brought them all in, if the likes of Sting and Goldberg accepted low buy outs (which they, rightly so, were never going to do). DDP for example lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, just because he knew at age 46, he couldnt wait a few more years like Goldberg could. WWF bought out DDP's deal at half price, allowing him to join them. Sting, Goldberg, Nash and the rest just sat out there contracts. I remember in Power Slam and all over the internet, they initially said WWF had no intention of bringing DDP in because of his seven figure deal. But DDP was willing to cut his pay to join WWF. Its one of the reasons people slag him and call him a mark for himself and all that.

I'd have had WCW win the Survivor Series match and completely re-brand the next 'Nitro'. Would have been an interesting watch. You could have gradually brought in WWE guys over the next few months to try and take back the company. Would have prolonged the angle too.

As much as an Alliance win would have been interesting, your idea suggests that for the next month or so they have a RAW headlined by Booker T, RVD, a weak arse Steve Austin and I suppose Kurt Angle if he doesn't turn at the PPV. I can see an argument for possibly getting away with it for one night but not any longer.

Not to mention that others could have got better in developmental or house shows. Some could have been on TV and turned and the shit that needed clearing would have been gone. Small developments could have kept the sotry buzzing and the Invasion could of and in my opinion should of started at Survivor Series not The Summer. HHH and Benoit would have been back & the shitness that was the first few months of the brand extension would have been gone! You could of at a push had the story go on from SS01 to WM 19 with once the WWE have one goldberg appears if you couldnt get him sooner

What the fuck?

Archived