"You see, my mule don't like people laughing...."

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Watched High Plains Drifter over the weekend. It's great, but I realise I keep watching it thinking it's going to be another Clint western where the lone stranger is pulled back and forth between 2 opposing factions in a small town. Which one am I thinking of, they're very similar?

A Fistful Of Dollars! The film from which the title of this thread is taken!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watched High Plains Drifter over the weekend. It's great, but I realise I keep watching it thinking it's going to be another Clint western where the lone stranger is pulled back and forth between 2 opposing factions in a small town. Which one am I thinking of, they're very similar?

A Fistful Of Dollars! The film from which the title of this thread is taken!

Hmmm. That must be it. I suspect I've just not seen Fistfull for a long, long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Picked up a cracking little boxset containing Django, A Bullet for the General and Keoma today. Very much looking forward to watching these, Django is one of my all time favorite spaghetti westerns although I haven't seen the other two. Any other fans of Sergio Corbucci here? He's often overlooked in comparison to his fellow luminaries Leone and Peckinpah but I think time has shown his work to be a little more than mere exploitation film.

• Paid Members

I've got Django and A Bullet For The General on my LoveFilm watchlist. I'm not very clued up on the spaghetti western outside of Leone's work, though, what other Corbucci films would you recommend, Lefty?

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Ooh, I didn't know this thread was here. Might as well re-post this, then, where it belongs.

Been unearthing a few joys on my V+ box recently. A particular stand-out was The Tin Star, a Western from 1957 starring Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins. Fonda is Morgan "Morg" Hickman, a former sheriff turned bounty hunter, who rides into town to pick up the reward on a dead criminal. Perkins plays Ben Owens, the sheriff of this particular town, an inexperienced and gung-ho young man who's only been appointed to the role to prevent the town villain from getting the job. As Morg has to wait for his reward to get processed, a few crises show up to test young Owens, who doesn't respond well, and is only saved by intervention of the bounty hunter, leading to a mentor/student relationship developing the two.

An excellent bit of viewing, entertaining from start to finish, with a very welcome minor appearance from the great Lee Van Cleef, and the incredibly prolific Neville Brand doing an excellent turn as Bart Bogardus, the town scumbag. Also, an appearance from Betsy "Jason Voorhees' Mum" Palmer as the young sheriff's love interest - only really remarkable because her and Perkins' most notable roles are as psychotics, and here they are playing young lovers in a Western.

It's not the greatest Western you'll ever see, but it's pretty fun, and has some nice touches throughout. Recommended.

Also got "Villa Rides!" on my V+, gonna watch that before it goes.

I too have started watching Rawhide, it's a fun way to waste an hour. Decent easy to follow Western stories with good actors. Weird seeing Eastwood so young though.

I'm just sittting down to watch another now. It's on TCM 2 (318) right now if anyone's interested.

• Paid Members
Second only to The Wire. The swearing is poetry, plus with Calamity Jane at the helm, it has the strongest female characters in a show. It's awesome, totally awesome.

I fucking love Deadwood. Haven't gotten round to watching season three, mainly because a friend warned me that I'd really hate the ending. Not to say I won't watch it, but I'm reluctant now :(

• Paid Members

The ending is fine. Because the show got cancelled it doesn't have a big ending that ties the story up but I thought it was acceptable enough. The ending fits the story and you shouldn't be dissappointed.

Also season 3 has the best fight in the history of movies and film in it. So watch it.

Archived