"You see, my mule don't like people laughing...."

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Is The Long Riders any good? Cast looks very interesting, with so many sets of brothers plus it's based on the great stories of the James Gang.

If you like Western history it's extremely good, if you like Western films you may come away from it with differing opinions.

I personally loved it, and the quaint niche they have with real life brothers playing on screen brothers is excellent. Definitely worth a watch.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me

I've always been in two minds about this scene. It's from the fantastic Rio Bravo and I've never been able to decide whether it is good or utterly cringeworthy. Either way, Nelson is terrible in this film and it's a testament to how great almost the whole of the rest of the film is that it's still an unquestionable classic.

I LOVE that scene. But yeah, fuck Nelson.

Does The Proposition count as a western? It's a cracking film and is classed as a western...but it's set in Australia. I'm confused.

• Paid Members

yeh, i think it still falls under the Western genre, even though its not set in the traditional setting i still think it falls under that category. What else would it be?

I haven't but it's reminded me of the awesome Death Hunt, which pitches Bronson again Lee Marvin in a Western-style setting. Cracking film.

• Paid Members

If you're up for some Western, revisionist stylee, then Bad Day At Black Rock is on Film4 on Thursday (hey, my birthday, it's almost like they knew) at 1:10pm. You have to watch it, it's a brilliant film and it's actually impossible that you won't like it.

If you're up for some Western, revisionist stylee, then Bad Day At Black Rock is on Film4 on Thursday (hey, my birthday, it's almost like they knew) at 1:10pm. You have to watch it, it's a brilliant film and it's actually impossible that you won't like it.

Bloody Brilliant. That's my afternoon sorted. Cheers Gladders, and Happy Birthday for then as well.

I think classifying it as a Western is a bit misleading. It's more a film about race and the fallout from WW2 in small-town America, that uses the trappings of Westerns as a framework.

Spencer Tracy really is some actor. I'm not sure they make actors like him any more. His speech at the end of Look Who's Coming To Dinner is the most tearful thing I've ever seen. One for my long-overdue Greatest Scenes thread....

DON'T WATCH IF YOU CARE ABOUT SPOILING THE FILM! Not that it would matter, it's not that sort of a film.

• Paid Members
I think classifying it as a Western is a bit misleading. It's more a film about race and the fallout from WW2 in small-town America, that uses the trappings of Westerns as a framework.

Spencer Tracy really is some actor. I'm not sure they make actors like him any more. His speech at the end of Look Who's Coming To Dinner is the most tearful thing I've ever seen. One for my long-overdue Greatest Scenes thread....

Hence 'revisionist western' ;)

But yes, Spencer Tracy was brilliant. Trying to pick his best performance is almost impossible. Him and James Stewart were the most adaptable actors of their generation. Tracy could flit between genres of films and never once look like he was outside of any comfort zone. I think my favourite performance of his was Fury (Walter Brennan, who was also brilliant, was in that as well). The full film's suddenly sprung up on YouTube as well, which sorts my viewing out tonight:-

Watched High Plains Drifter over the weekend. It's great, but I realise I keep watching it thinking it's going to be another Clint western where the lone stranger is pulled back and forth between 2 opposing factions in a small town. Which one am I thinking of, they're very similar?

Archived