"You see, my mule don't like people laughing...."

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Westworld's not a horror film, it's science fiction. Watched it the other day, actually, it's still great.

Deranged robot stalks, it's prey in a Western/Theme Park setting. Of course, that's nothing like the set up for a slasher type horror movie is it? ( you could chuck in the fear of technology/ bad techology ala Demon Seed in there if you want as well) Just because some consider it's a Weird West Sci Fi doesnt mean it isn't a horror film either. There is a nice blog here, should anyone be interested discussing the film indepth and it frequently appears on Horror film based discussion boards and blogs and so forth and so on

Cracking film and one of the closest examples you will get to a Western Horror imo

I don't think it's a horror film and Wikipedia and IMDb tend to agree. It only really has anything approaching 'slasher' elements in the last 25 minutes.

Fair enough, I dont agree with you about it not being a horror though

• Paid Members

Ricky Nelson & Dean Martin - My Rifle, My Pony and Me

I've always been in two minds about this scene. It's from the fantastic Rio Bravo and I've never been able to decide whether it is good or utterly cringeworthy. Either way, Nelson is terrible in this film and it's a testament to how great almost the whole of the rest of the film is that it's still an unquestionable classic.

• Paid Members

I know it might not count, but I love the Comic Strip's 'Fist Full of Travelers Cheques'. A wonderful parody/tribute to Spaghetti Western's especially for Peter Richardson's Lee Van Cleef impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8yduawSnxQ...feature=related

There's part one if you haven't seen it.

• Paid Members

Any of you that have a LoveFilm subscription may be interested to know that The Shooting (1966) starring Jack Nicholson is available for streaming. Cracking little film, I'm going to try and watch it tonight if possible.

• Paid Members
I've just stuck this on my watchlist, Lefty. A Fistful Of Dollars is on Netflix, too, and I might revisit that tonight, it's been years since I saw it.

TMWNN trilogy is excellent, there is something about Ennio Morricone's scores that sit so well with Leone's visual elements that I'd argue with anyone that his contribution is as, if not, more important to those films as Leone himself. Fistful of Dynamite (1971) was always my favourite Leone film growing up though, James Coburn is a riot to watch in that film.

Great thread by the way though Gladders, just so happens I'm currently doing my dissertation on John Ford so I've been watching a lot of westerns over the last year. I'd seriously recommend watching Rich Hall's documentary for BBC4 called How the West Was Lost (2008) if you like a bit of film history. His one on the road movie Continental Drifters 2011 is worth a watch too.

• Paid Members
I've just stuck this on my watchlist, Lefty. A Fistful Of Dollars is on Netflix, too, and I might revisit that tonight, it's been years since I saw it.

TMWNN trilogy is excellent, there is something about Ennio Morricone's scores that sit so well with Leone's visual elements that I'd argue with anyone that his contribution is as, if not, more important to those films as Leone himself. Fistful of Dynamite (1971) was always my favourite Leone film growing up though, James Coburn is a riot to watch in that film.

Great thread by the way though Gladders, just so happens I'm currently doing my dissertation on John Ford so I've been watching a lot of westerns over the last year. I'd seriously recommend watching Rich Hall's documentary for BBC4 called How the West Was Lost (2008) if you like a bit of film history. His one on the road movie Continental Drifters 2011 is worth a watch too.

I'd like to read that dissertation when you're finished. I did mine on Vietnam war films.

I have seen the two Rich Hall documentaries, as recommended by Houchen, and they're fantastic. I can't find the How the West Was Lost one online any more, though, and I wanted to watch it again the other day. I hope he does more film documentaries.

Fuck you for doing this while I was away :( So random catchups from reading the thread.

Someone mentioned Shane, which I saw when it was on tv a couple of months ago, and thought it was just fantastic. Although the little boy going "Shaaaane" all the time really annoyed me.

In terms of early revisionist Westerns, does The Searchers count? It's an extraordinarily bleak take on the traditional Western and takes a big look at racism against the Indians, which is quite unusual. Plus Wayne's character has clearly been shagging his brother's missus.

Oh and Westworld is a straight scifi movie, what are you thinking Pat?

Fuck you for doing this while I was away :( So random catchups from reading the thread.

Someone mentioned Shane, which I saw when it was on tv a couple of months ago, and thought it was just fantastic. Although the little boy going "Shaaaane" all the time really annoyed me.

In terms of early revisionist Westerns, does The Searchers count? It's an extraordinarily bleak take on the traditional Western and takes a big look at racism against the Indians, which is quite unusual. Plus Wayne's character has clearly been shagging his brother's missus.

Oh and Westworld is a straight scifi movie, what are you thinking Pat?

I think it was me that mentioned Shane, Yes, that little kid is fucking annoying.

As for Westworld, as said it's my view. I think it can be considered a horror film rather than just labelled sci fi. C'est la Vie

• Paid Members
I'd like to read that dissertation when you're finished. I did mine on Vietnam war films.

I have seen the two Rich Hall documentaries, as recommended by Houchen, and they're fantastic. I can't find the How the West Was Lost one online any more, though, and I wanted to watch it again the other day. I hope he does more film documentaries.

I agree his documentaries are absolutely fantastic. Because he tends to link the subject matter to the socio-economic climate of America during the times the films were made, I'd love to see him make one chronicling the history of exploitation film.

If this dissertation ever gets finished I'll be sure to send you a copy, although it has become a bit of bore if I'm honest.

I'd definitely argue a case for The Searchers being an early revisionist western. It's very of it's time, heavy elements of psychoanalysis, the racism is quite interesting in the fact that it was just after the whole Brown vs the board of education case and the early stages of the civil rights movement. Ford began effectively deconstructing the genre starting with The Searchers, then following with Sergeant Rutledge and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Archived