"You see, my mule don't like people laughing...."

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's an article about British westerns here:-

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php...tti%22_Westerns

Except none of them are British. Not sure what this article is on about, really.

There are a couple of really good westerns on Saturday that you should set your Sky+ for. Support Your Local Sheriff! is on ITV4 at 1.25pm and Calamity Jane is on ITV3, but irritatingly crosses over in terms of time, and starts at 2.40pm.

• Paid Members

I'm really enjoying my Westerns at the minute. As said before, I'm not much of a film person, but I decided to take a look after watching the remake of True Grit and seeing a few things mentioned in Gladstone's film thread. I got these a few months back. Shockingly, I'd never seen any of them in full before.

Clint Eastwood Westerns Triple: Pale Rider / Outlaw Josey Wales / Unforgiven

The Spaghetti Western Collection: The Good the Bad and the Ugly / Fist Full of Dollars / For a few Dollars more

Westerns Triple: True Grit / Once Upon A Time In The West / Shane

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

The Burrowers

So Far I've watched the Spaghetti Western collection, Once Upon A Time In The West and Unforgiven. All of which I thought were top notch. I'm making my way through slowly but thoroughly enjoying them. Well, apart from 'The Burrowers' which was pants. I'm longing for a good Horror-Western.

Anymore recommendations?

• Paid Members

You asked me that question a few months ago, Stu ;)

But like I say in the opening post, there really aren't many - if any - good ones. From Dusk Till Dawn might be the closest you get it's not really a western at all.

• Paid Members

Ahh, right. It is ridiculous that no-one has really crossed the two over successfully yet. Some might class High Plains Drifter as one because there are supernatural suggestions to some of the story, but you should watch that anyway as it's brilliant.

Get this John Wayne collection next:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Westerns-Collectio...f=pd_sim_d_h__1

Nice mix of his stuff on there.

Then this James Stewart one:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Stewart-West...8113&sr=1-3

Should tide you over nicely.

• Paid Members

my movie-watching over the past year has been shameful, ive really fallen off with my viewing. I went through a big Western stage at one point but i aint seen one in ages, i need to get back on it.

Here's a small-time Western that hasn't been mentioned on here though that blew me away when i saw it...

bad-company-jeff-bridges-dvd-cover-art.jpg

Bad Company

well worth a look.

• Paid Members
Love a bit of Clint in "Pale Rider". Here is the trailer for it, with the "Channel 4 News" theme chiming along in the background..

Haha, that's bizarre! It doesn't even really fit with the trailer at all, which makes it all the more odd.

I'm longing for a good Horror-Western.

Anymore recommendations?

West World, would be the immediate response to that, then Future World

Followed by

Grim Prarie Tales (Not seen it in ages)

Ravenous (Guy Pearce)

Cannibal! The Musical (South Park Guys, frontier, possibly not western)

I think there is a Sy-Fy cheapo called The Quick and The Undead as well, but Ive not seen it

Some of the Twilight Zone episodes deal with Cowboy and Horror theme's as wekk

Archived