Raw 26/03/2012 - Pre/Post Discussion

hbknhhh

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Raw drew a 3.0 rating this week. I cant believe the ratings are so low for WrestleMania's go home show. Its un-fucking-real. Its Cena vs The Rock! Where is everyone this year? They were drawing 3.8s and 3.9s in the lead up to last year.

I can see heads rolling if they dont do good business for Rock vs Cena. Someone has to take the blame if this match doesnt do well.

• Paid Members

Not that I could care less about ratings and all that jazz, but aren't those just overnight ratings? You'll probably find the final figure is a lot higher when it's released.

Raw drew a 3.0 rating this week. I cant believe the ratings are so low for WrestleMania's go home show. Its un-fucking-real. Its Cena vs The Rock! Where is everyone this year? They were drawing 3.8s and 3.9s in the lead up to last year.

I can see heads rolling if they dont do good business for Rock vs Cena. Someone has to take the blame if this match does do well.

It's clearly the Miz's fault...

• Paid Members

Between the Punk "gotta be back to set up SummerSlam" stuff last year and the way the build for Mania peaked a couple of weeks ago, you do have to wonder if the WWE creative staff are allowed access to calendars.

Between the Punk "gotta be back to set up SummerSlam" stuff last year and the way the build for Mania peaked a couple of weeks ago, you do have to wonder if the WWE creative staff are allowed access to calendars.

The fact they've had a year to build this Rock/Cena stuff and it's panned out the way it has is unbelievable. That's not even taking into account the 6 or 7 years they've had to work on ideas for Rock's return to Wrestlemania.

Has there even been a single big memorable angle on RAW building up to either Cena/Rock or Taker/Trips?

Not a locker-room emptying pull-apart brawl.

Not a viscous beat-down of any kind.

No Piper's Pit.

Nothing...

They've just talked at each other in often long-winded or maybe mildly amusing segments. The closest we had was that This Is Your Life segment, and that was ages ago and crap.

That was the go home show? Fuck! No HHH or Taker, Jericho appeared on the tron and Punk looked incredibly uncomfortable in an incredibly pointless angle. The best build up so far, the 6 man tag was taken down a peg by getting lame t shirts and flags and looking like an OTT Bragging Rights match. And then the final segment, you have your two draws ending the show by looking at each other and not getting physical? I understand why, neither man can back down or give away the upper hands but come up with something better than that, have Laurinitis or somebody send 15 referees down as its getting shaky and stop them fighting, anything. it doesnt matter though, its Wrestlemania and people have nought it regardless of the build up for years, it'll still make a fortune and get close the 1m buys they want. But this entire build up has been too long winded, I hope they dont go with the 1 year build up to a match again, they cant be trusted with it.

The fact they've had a year to build this Rock/Cena stuff and it's panned out the way it has is unbelievable. That's not even taking into account the 6 or 7 years they've had to work on ideas for Rock's return to Wrestlemania.

Has there even been a single big memorable angle on RAW building up to either Cena/Rock or Taker/Trips?

No Piper's Pit.

Nothing...

They've just talked at each other in often long-winded or maybe mildly amusing segments. The closest we had was that This Is Your Life segment, and that was ages ago and crap.

I totally agree. I would like them to have had some more physicality to build the tension going into these matches, and I have been wondering why they haven't.

I think there are two main reasons,

Firstly, in both the main event and the HIAC match, it is basically face v face, so both guys in both matches have too much integrity (and in the case of Cena / Rock are too cocky of character to have...) to try and sneek attack, or strike first to turn a face to face encounter or promo into a physical encounter.

Secondly, out of the 4 participants in the 2 biggest matches at mania, there is only one active member of the roster (that being Cena), so there is little chance for them to do angles like they have before between participants in a face v face match, as the others are only there to turn up at mania and have their match, so there is no opportunity for them to have any kind of physical encounter to build the tension before hand.

The same could be said about Jericho and Punk. Jericho obviously only agreed a part-time or per appearance contract, so they have had to come up with something to get Jericho over as a heel. I think they have done ok with it, and i think the punk beatdown on christian and finally snapping was done pretty well, up till that point however it was hard to care.

The only match that has a proper reason for them not to have had anything physical is Bryan V Sheamus, with Bryan basically playing the cowardly heel he has been avoiding the physical confrontation.

With all this being said, they could have done something more to get over how evenly matched Cena and Rock are and how important their match is. Perhaps run vignettes of the roster being asked who they are think are going to win, or retrospective videos or training montages or....... something at least.

I'm looking forward to mania this year, but i doubt what vince has said will be true, that the focus will very much be on the young guys.

• Paid Members

No Piper's Pit.

Nothing...

None of that has been necessary. Most definitely not some shit talk show segment. When was the last good one? They're awful.

The lack of physicality has been smart, I can't wait to see them go at it now.

What I've found surprising is that Rock & Cena hasn't existed amongst the rest of the wrestlers. No interaction at all, especially stupid as a couple of minutes of TV time with The Rock could make a guy like Santino or Ziggler. But no talking heads, no buzz in the locker room, no general managers trying to muscle in, no taking sides, making predictions, etc. Just nothing to suggest that this is the biggest match of all-time from anyone other than Rock & Cena. Not when it mattered.

Very poor go home show for Wrestlemania, probably one of the weaked Road to Wrestlemanias that I've ever seen. WWE has been stale now for the best part of a decade but at least when it mattered, the build up to Wrestlemania was special, there were certain things that brought out the fan in you and you were reminded why you watched. This year there has been literally nothing for me whatsoever. I do like the The Rock coming back for a match and HHH/Taker in the cell but apart from that no other match really interests me, nor does nearly any of the build up.

I think if this keeps up for much longer with WWE having no competition, they will fall into obscurity with the product getting exceptionally weak and them only having a limited number of years they can bring people back for. Of course come Sunday we'll all be blinded by the production, the stadium etc but the in ring content I feel will just fall flat which is a shame.

What I've found surprising is that Rock & Cena hasn't existed amongst the rest of the wrestlers. No interaction at all, especially stupid as a couple of minutes of TV time with The Rock could make a guy like Santino or Ziggler. But no talking heads, no buzz in the locker room, no general managers trying to muscle in, no taking sides, making predictions, etc. Just nothing to suggest that this is the biggest match of all-time from anyone other than Rock & Cena. Not when it mattered.

I feel the same way. Rock's brief 2003 return involved great interaction with other wrestlers -- Hurricane, Christian, Booker T, Jeff Hardy and more. They clearly never had that many ideas for his feud with Cena other than "go out and pander to the local crowds and alienate every other cunt so the ratings drop to appalling levels for pre-WrestleMania shows"... There was no harm at all in having some Rock interaction with Ryder, Santino, Otunga or plenty of others.

I would've liked to see Rock and Cena in a Piper's Pit or Cutting Edge though. Probably Edge, because Cena was in Piper's Pit not long ago and that was all about The Rock, even when it pretended to be about Kane.

Archived