Raw 26/03/2012 - Pre/Post Discussion

hbknhhh

Well if you were sitting on the fence and undecided whether to actually order Wrestlemania then I am not sure last night's offering did much to tempt you.

I really hope the rumours of them doing another of these year long builds to next year’s Wrestlemaina aren’t true as The Rock/Cena run out of steam for me. I still expect it to be a quality match but you would of thought if they have been telling each other how much they detest one another for almost a year, a little brawl between them on the final show before Maina wouldn’t have hurt, rather than the same little promo we have had for the past month.

The Team Teddy vs. Team Johnny stuff was a bit of an overkill and as I suspect it will get about 5 minutes at Maina I find it strange they dedicated so much of Raw to hyping it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think I'll give this Raw a miss, it sounds pretty shit. I'm remembering the buildup to Rock/Austin at WM17 where they did all that shit with Debra and the boring as fuck sit-down interviews and it was killing all anticipation for the match but then on the go-home show they ended it with a giant mass pull-apart brawl which made the match seem like it was going to be the most epic and insane match ever. That was Rock/Cena desperately needed.

I bet Drew McInytre's pretty fucking happy at this point. I'm guessing they did the whole "Teddy fires him, Johnny rehires him" angle in the expectation that they might need him as a replacement for Christian or Alberto at short notice.

Also I can't believe how little effort has been put into the Bryan/Shaemus fued. How hard is it to just have Bryan attack Shaemus from behind and beat the fuck out of him a few times. The match seems like a complete after thought, even to the men involved in it. Shaemus went from looking like the next huge babyface last summer when he was fueding with Mark Henry to being the most boring man on the roster. I suppose that's what happens when you don't give wrestlers any proper storylines for 9 months.

Bit dissappointed that Kane/Orton didn't end up as some kind of gimmick match (preferably falls count anywhere) as both men are good brawlers and it would have added variety to the card.

A show characterised by people having precisely bugger all to say. Seriously. Every feud had run out of steam and were screaming out for it to be Wrestlemania already.

The only time the show perked up was during Cena and Rock's segment, if only because their personal skill made it engaging, regardless if the content was a retread.

It's pretty bloody unforgivable that Jericho hasn't been on the last two shows before the biggest show of the year where he's in a WWE title match. Jericho's such a fucking cancer on the prostate of professional wrestling. I fucking hate him being anywhere near Raw. Chuck him on Smackdown, or something. I've never been one for overblown 'IF THIS HAPPENS I'M DEFINITELY NEVER WATCHING RAW AGAIN! OOH, LOOK, RAW!' outbursts, but the FF button on my remote will soon need replacing if Jericho wins the title. Prick.

I think Punk's done well having to deal with a non-existant opponent and such quasi-melodramatic, soap opera material.

Similarly, D-Bryan needs to keep the title at 'Mania. Sheamus is a fucking schlub. Bar the five seconds where he gets a red face and smacks the piss out of someones chest, he's the least interesting person in the world, fella. I actually want to write something caustic, or long winded, about how shite Sheamus is but i've got nothing to say really; he's just there.

Perhaps unintentionally, the Team Teddy/Team Teddy...uh...oh...Johnny feud is the best thing on the show at the minute. It's goofy as all balls and I love it. I'm pretty glad Christians off the team, too, as it gives him time to evaluate his hair. Jesus.

Erm, the audience were beyond fucking shit. Surely there's more cost effective ways of gazing at your shoes than paying

Considering this weeks Raw was the final push to get people to buy Wrestlemania I was surprised at how little there was on this show.

Sheamus/Bryan should be a great match.

Kane has absolutely no credibility at all and the match with Orton seems to serve no purpose other than to get Orton his 'Mania bonus. They might as well have put Kane on Team Johnny and Orton on Team Teddy for all it matters.

You'd think that the GM Vs GM match would be pretty big deal considering what's at stake in this match, so with that in mind why has Teddy placed his livelihood in the hands of the worst possible team? Johnny has picked a dominant team because he clearly wants to seize control of the WWE, Teddy has picked chumps flanked by a midget because he's apparently a complete idiot. If Teddy, the guy who becomes unemployed if his team loses, isn't taking this thing seriously then why would anyone pay to watch it? At least pretend that this match fucking matters.

The Punk/Jericho trainwreck shows how little faith the WWE has in its audience. Apparently someone in charge didn't think that the audience could relate to two guys fighting to see who's the best so they play Jericho's prerecorded promos (because even he's trying to distance himself from this nonsense) in which he calls Punk's dad a loser, his sister a slut and his mother a poor homemaker. Is the WWE Title even on the line in this match? Jericho seems more interested in making fun of Punk than winning the title, if the title is second fiddle to that then why even bother? The match itself will probably be great but this storyline is infuriating.

Why can't Kelly Kelly run ropes properly? I've seen trainees with more coordination and ring awareness than her. Why did Kelly roll out of the ring right in front of Beth? Kelly getting that close to Beth and Beth doing nothing makes Beth look like a chump. Are we expected to believe that a heel with a two on one advantage isn't going to cheapshot an opponent before a big match?!

Brodus Clay needs a proper finisher because that lazy splash isn't cutting it.

The Hunter/'Taker/Shawn love-in wouldn't be so intolerable if it wasn't blindingly obvious who's going to win. Undertaker's not going to drop the ball this close to the big twenty milestone. If he'd passed twenty and was aiming for twenty-one I could buy in to this match but I don't believe they won't let Undertaker get to twenty. The match will probably be okay but the lack of unpredictability hurts it.

Lawler claiming that inducting William Shatner into the Hall Of Fame would be the highlight of his career was just sad.

My opinion on Rock/Cena hasn't changed since they announced it last year, I'm more interested in the outcome of the match rather than the match itself because I really want to see what happens here. A lot of people I speak to want Cena to turn heel but as the weeks go by it seems less and less likely, a couple of weeks ago Cena appeared to be showing little hints of heelishness but every week he comes out and talks at length and covers the same ground and makes the same jokes and I think the novelty of it all has worn off. What bothers me the most about the buildup to this match is the inconsistency, first Rock wants Cena dead, then Cena respects Rock, then Rock respects Cena, then Cena hates Rock. I don't know about anyone else but I find it difficult to believe that these guys genuinely hate each other, in fact sometimes I'm very much aware that these two are acting because despite the occasional moments of what seems like real fire these two mostly seem to joke around, lead the crowd into pointless chants and promote Twitter, hardly solid ground for what were supposed to believe is "the biggest main event ever". It seems increasingly likely that the big payoff for this match will be the continuation of the status quo, Rocky goes back to making movies and Cena remains the mong who smiles and cracks jokes when people make fun of him.

If anything last night was the first time I had even the slightest thought that Cena might turn heel. It won't happen, but the way he laid it on thick with having seen Rock turn heel on his DVD and his line 'throughout the last ten years i've seen people including you Rock, turn their back on the WWE universe but i've been the one guy to stay true to a set of ideals, to rise above hate' screamed switch-n-bait to me.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, if Wrestlemania ends with a newly crowned MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE John Laurinitis helping a turned Cena win the main event (succumbing to the desperate need to win and not waste the last ten years of hard work) i'll lose ALL of my shit. It'll all be worth it.

• Paid Members

I cant see who Cena will work with post-Mania. Cena's worked with everyone on the roster, a million times. I cant see any appealing matches left for him right now. So we'll probably get Cena vs Jericho, actually. Just because we havent seen it in 18 months or something. Post-Mania doesnt look good on paper. Once the big stars leave, Raw will look empty.

• Paid Members
I cant see who Cena will work with post-Mania. Cena's worked with everyone on the roster, a million times. I cant see any appealing matches left for him right now. So we'll probably get Cena vs Jericho, actually. Just because we havent seen it in 18 months or something. Post-Mania doesnt look good on paper. Once the big stars leave, Raw will look empty.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The various news sites report he'll be working with A-train, thats of course if its true

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
My guess for Cena will be a program with Lord Tensai, they'll probably move Mark Henry to Raw and he'll go against Cena for a bit...whatever they go with it's all looking a bit dull.

I like the idea of the Lord Tensai stuff. But I'd put the belt on Cena first. Unless they plan to turn him heel, I'd go back to the A-B-C Hulk Hogan booking and line up a load of heel challengers. Guys like Ziggler and Henry should be getting big singles wins at WrestleMania in preparation.

Who was the Japanese guy with Tensai? Anyone we know? He looked kind of familiar but, without meaning to be racist, a lot of those guys look rather similar!

Archived