Remakes and reboots

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Speaking of remakes, I was shocked to read that ITV remade "That 70s Show" at one point. I kind of want to see it though!

You really don't. But you asked for it:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Anglogirl1/vid...ew=0&page=2

About halfway down. It was called Days Like These.

The US is remaking Only Fools and Horses

John Leguizamo will play Del Boy

Dustin Ybarra will play Rodney

Christopher Lloyd will play Granddad

B.J. Bales will play Trigger

I honestly don't think a US version will work OFAH is such British humour for Americans to find it funny they will have to completely change it

isnt trigger going to be turning heel as well?. read that in a paper a few weeks ago

I haven't read that one yet but with Trigger will Americans really get how funny it is that Trigger calls Rodney Dave to us it's one of the funniest/classic things in TV history I'm just not sure they will get it.

• Paid Members

I very much doubt it will be remotely similar to the original series at all. It will probably be completely unrecognisable. In fact it will probably not even get out of the pilot stage.

I very much doubt it will be remotely similar to the original series at all. It will probably be completely unrecognisable. In fact it will probably not even get out of the pilot stage.

• Paid Members
I haven't read that one yet but with Trigger will Americans really get how funny it is that Trigger calls Rodney Dave to us it's one of the funniest/classic things in TV history I'm just not sure they will get it.

What's to get? Surely someone getting someone's name wrong all the time is equally "hilarious" to everyone, it's hardly the sort of subtle humour that goes over people's heads is it?

Only fools and horses is shit anyway and like Lagoosh said this will obviously be completely different, if it's not in London in the 80s then it's already about 45% different from the original before anything else is touched.

• Paid Members
Sure it will be completely different, but you'd still get your knickers in a twist about it if it was a source material you cared about. Mentally substitute Del Boy for The Punisher or something (there's a show I'd watch).

I guess a guy with a history of whinging about source material changes can't really make comments like I did there can I? It's a bit different though, it's possible to make a superhero movie that's true to the comic, a 2012 latino american version of OFAH will be so different there's nothing to complain about other than it's very existence really.

I want to see the version with the Punisher as Del boy, when's that coming out?

*edit*

I'll give the new Robocop the benefit of the doubt for now, he's certainly a character than can come back, I hope he keeps what made us all love him in the first place though. one of the problems with remaking stuff is it's not just the story and characters that make something we love what it is, it's the whole vibe and atmosphere, Robocop is futuristic but it's so 80s, same with Terminator and loads of other things, you can't recreate that.

• Paid Members

Chloe morintz has been cast in the remake of Carrie. I think the first ones success was really down to Sissy Spacek and her weird androgonous look and just how amazingly uncomfortable her performance was. I can see them pushing this more into a tween market and it ending up more like the awful Carrie 2 that was made.

Chloe morintz has been cast in the remake of Carrie. I think the first ones success was really down to Sissy Spacek and her weird androgonous look and just how amazingly uncomfortable her performance was. I can see them pushing this more into a tween market and it ending up more like the awful Carrie 2 that was made.

The Rage: Carrie 2, Id tried hard to erase that from my memory. Damn you Chokeout.

The problem with remakes and reboots is the mongy, Gollum-esque fans who treat a franchise/character/film as their precious and just want everything to stay the same instead of wanting anything to be any good. And what worked in the 1980s or in a comic or in a novel won't necessarily work for a 2012 film. There are always elements in older stories -- concepts, characters, plots, whatever else -- that can be updated/adapted to work better for a new medium and audience, though. And if you can do that whilst keeping the buzz going from the childhood-rapees, why wouldn't you?

• Paid Members

This is true, in theory but the reality is that the studios haven't done this. They've taken existing characters/franchises & just made shittier versions of them. Look at Texan Chainsaw, Nightmare of Elm St, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Straw Dogs etc. The bad far outweighs the good so it's not surprising that people approach the news of popular & loved films being 'rebooted' with a certain level of cynicism.

I'd much rather they looked at films that were a potentially good idea but were either badly made or restricted by the technology at the time. 'The Hills Have Eyes' remake stands out as an example of this to me. News that they're rebooting Robocop & planning on remaking Back To The Future reeks of cheap cash-in's as both original films aren't badly dated & are still great. I see little room for improvement or the film makers being able to add anything unique that'll stop it from just being a diluted version of the original.

Archived